Aging, death, and children

Users who are viewing this thread

JayWalker

Regular
In Bannerlord you can die and have children who work as your heirs, no longer are you the immortal warrior of Warband. My question is how much real time, how many battles, how many years do I get to work with a single character? If a year is 80ish days does that count as a single year of aging? So if I have a child it will be 1280 days (math is hard) until he is 16 which I suppose is old enough to take over or close to it? Or will each year age a character multiple years? At what age does a character die or get forced into retirement? Is it possible for the controlled character to die in battle and not of age, or does death in battle only become possible when you have reached an advanced age? Do physical and mental abilities begin to decline at some point which will prompt a player to switch control to an heir if they haven't died in battle?

I am new to this forum, but I haven't seen these questions addressed in blogs and I don't know how much knowledge about this has been released to the community. If you don't know how it works then how do you think it should work?

1280 days in warband is enough time to go from zero to taking over most of the map, so if time passes at the same rate maybe progression is much slower in bannerlord?

Not much information has been shared about this yet, but i remember reading something along the lines of "Children age faster until 16-18-ish years", not sure if that is actually how it works, or how they will implement it though.

But yes it is possible to die in battle aswell, and as far as we know it is not possible to simply switch between characters, only when yours dies can you play with an heir or brother

Dev Blog 18/04/19

WILL THE CHARACTER AGE AND GET OLD SO THAT YOUR CHILDREN CAN TAKE OVER ONCE YOU'RE OLD AND DYING? DO YOU GET TO CHOOSE WHICH OFFSPRING YOU TAKE OVER AS?
“Yes! In Bannerlord, the player can die because of old age. At first, the player gets sick. Then the player’s hitpoints start to reduce daily. After a certain time, death occurs. During the decline of their health, the player can arrange his/her final wishes then, when the death occurs, the player selects an heir from one of his/her clan members that are suitable and mature. Then, the cycle continues. This process also applies by AI lords too.

Also, every mature hero can die on the battlefield (but this is optional for the player)."

Dev Blog 18/04/19

WILL THE CHARACTER AGE AND GET OLD SO THAT YOUR CHILDREN CAN TAKE OVER ONCE YOU'RE OLD AND DYING? DO YOU GET TO CHOOSE WHICH OFFSPRING YOU TAKE OVER AS?
“Yes! In Bannerlord, the player can die because of old age. At first, the player gets sick. Then the player’s hitpoints start to reduce daily. After a certain time, death occurs. During the decline of their health, the player can arrange his/her final wishes then, when the death occurs, the player selects an heir from one of his/her clan members that are suitable and mature. Then, the cycle continues. This process also applies by AI lords too.

Also, every mature hero can die on the battlefield (but this is optional for the player)."
Nice find :razz: been such a long time ago. Does it mention children and if they age faster?

Wow CKyHC, that answers alot. I also like that it is optional if the player can die in battle. I still wonder about the passage of time though. If the years are 1:1 and time passes at the same rate as Warband I think I would prefer it. Honestly the aging and dying system is the only thing I have heard about the game that has me worried that I won't enjoy it as much. I hope it is implemented well and isn't too oppressive.

Also if I remember correctly you will always have siblings that you will take control of if you don't have an heir and your character dies.

I hope there someone makes a mod for players to live 1 character and make time to take slower. I really, really love the option to have siblings or kids and playing as them but I want the old gameplay to be able for me too, even though, I never reached 1200 days in warband before, I think it could be quite rare to die of old age ???

I hope there someone makes a mod for players to live 1 character and make time to take slower. I really, really love the option to have siblings or kids and playing as them but I want the old gameplay to be able for me too, even though, I never reached 1200 days in warband before, I think it could be quite rare to die of old age ???
Same here. (and it never took me more than 700/800 days to conquer Calradia).

Didn't they say that this (death) would be optionnal ?

Just add a quest for main char to drink from the fountain of youth and live forever. Either way I'm sure one of the first mods available will be one that doesn't allow you to die of old age.

With warband I hardly ever played native, because by the time I started playing (maybe 6 years ago) mods were already just far superior. With bannerlord though I would rather spend some time enjoying the unmodded game. That is why I hope it is implemented well. I don't like the idea of frequently switching characters, and I hope that is not the reality of this game.

Same here. (and it never took me more than 700/800 days to conquer Calradia).

Didn't they say that this (death) would be optionnal ?
Death in combat is optional, but maybe they made a mode so you wont die.
The thing is that you either never grow up which would make the game lose the child system, since time must pass for them too and all the system must be scrapped, or either the time should go slower which I think could work better and go along with the child system. The sims 3 had this, where you select how much each stage of life should last, ex: childhood would last 10 days, adult would last 20, etc. I think that if we have the option to choose in that it would be great, if its not in the game an implementation like this from a mod could do well

I'm sure there just some numbers in a folder you can change every few years to stay young forever .

I will be install the live forever mod when it comes out. Real life sucks. :smile:

You can disable death without even having a mod, but the devs have said this will make the game a way easier and might not be as fun if you are looking for a challenge.

The issue with this is that if you slow down time, it sounds like all the royal families would die out faster from battles etc than they reproduce. I bet if the death chances were lowered significantly, this wouldn't be a big deal. However, deaths and such seem to be an interesting dynamic for gameplay. Not only will you be able to kill lords, you will also be able to kill their families and perhaps destroy their bloodlines entirely.

Well you are assuming the Days pass in the same speed then they did in Warband. I highly doubt taht. I Guess at least on the Campaingmap, Speed and Days will pass alot faster.

We're all already playing the game where we are in danger of dying of old age before fulfilling our ambitions (i.e eventually playing this game..) Surely they cant enforce it in-game as well.

Only issue I can see is that companions will die in battle or old age and then eventually your children will be companionless when you play as them unless they've already thought of this and there are hundreds of companions released at different times during your campaign so there are a range of ages of companions and new ones are constantly "adventuring" to Calradia.

Back
Top Bottom