Agility Characters

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Have any of you guys tried high agility characters?

I normally go for the strength builds, but I wanted to try something different for my Irish character. While waiting for 2.010 I built a test build to see how things would work out. Here are my findings so far:

Athletic skill - This skill really shines at 8 + and makes you really fast in light gear. Spears and swords are the best choice imo especially the balanced version since they focus on speed.

Riding skill - All I have to say is speed is power and 10 in riding is sick with a sword and a long spear.

Traits - I tested tough but it seems pretty useless, berserk is a much choice imo and is fitting. Some of the heroes of old were said to go into a battle rage/fury. Berserk is better because it boost speed and power which is perfect.

Stanima - This option will hold this build back but keep your armor light

Range weapons - Javelins are the best choice by far, you can run and gun + it was their thing in Ireland.

That is all for now, but I will post more later if you guys are interested. Also I would like to hear you guys thoughts as well.

Sounds quite enticing especially since I usually go for heavy equipped characters wearing mail and therefore is moving at the speed of a snail with a cramp.
I suppose you would also, with high agility, be highly able to out-maneuver enemy troops.
But wont it also make you highly vulnerable in close combat (shieldwall)? This would perhaps be the only reason for me not to choose this option.

reiksmarshal said:
Athletic skill - This skill really shines at 8 + and makes you really fast in light gear. Spears and swords are the best choice imo especially the balanced version since they focus on speed.
Does that equate to increased Weapon speed bonus? ( similar to the bonus you get when charging with a pony )

I wish there was a sprint button in VC, like the one Silverstag have. With the right abilities you can do pretty powerful charges on foot, resulting in empowered attacks+weapon speed bonus.

http://silverstag.wikia.com/wiki/Ability:_Charging_Strike
http://silverstag.wikia.com/wiki/Ability:_Boundless_Endurance
http://silverstag.wikia.com/wiki/Ability:_Sprinter

rzmoDtO.png

So far I think they are superior all round warriors in open battle, it is just a matter of getting the right combo of gear. Here is my gear so far:

24aw3UE.png

Close combat won't be a problem since hit and run works well, the problem is that you will die in seconds in big battle cause of tons of javelins, arrows coming at you, especially if you like to go to backstabing infrantry.

Saphirra said:
Close combat won't be a problem since hit and run works well, the problem is that you will die in seconds in big battle cause of tons of javelins, arrows coming at you, especially if you like to go to backstabing infrantry.

That's why I think you could make an objective argument that a strength build is better in singe player.

It also allows you to get say, 10+4 looting or 10+4 pathfinding. I still think strength has the edge though, extra damage + extra health. The lack of mobility isn't a huge issue if you fight from horseback primarily.

Now if you were playing a campaign without gear penalties then I think a 20 agility 10 athletics char would be useful. You could zip around in full armor like a humming bird on speed.

In orig M&B & WB I preferred AGIL over STR (if I recall AGIL 20 still allowed enough points for STR 16 around lvl 30).

In VC horses fall too easily and javs (especially throwing spears) too damaging for light armour IMO.

You can still max STR with good AGIL (current game STR 23, AGIL 16, lvl 36) depending on starting choices.

Lord Doom said:
In orig M&B & WB I preferred AGIL over STR (if I recall AGIL 20 still allowed enough points for STR 16 around lvl 30).

In VC horses fall too easily and javs (especially throwing spears) too damaging for light armour IMO.

You can still max STR with good AGIL (current game STR 23, AGIL 16, lvl 36) depending on starting choices.

But then your charisma is down the drain, you really need that persuasion and CH to raise your social ladder efficiently. Think someone mentioned in another thread that the best way to play VC would be a dumb but charismatic badass.

True horses fall easy, you have to be careful about wading into the fray. The way I avoid this is a take about 5 horse skirmishers and circling around the enemy army while they waste their throwing spears and javelins. By the time they reach my line the enemy leader is dead an most of their ammo is wasted. Once they charge my shield wall I then bring the rest of my cavalry in and charge the rear.  I can completely waste viking armies with very few losses. On foot it is a different story and I run around on the outside cowboy style and pick my targets watching out for enemy javelins. I tend to use heavy armor if mounted and the speed bonus can be incredible especially when you get +98%, etc. With Ray I can do 120 + piecing damage which will one shot any opponent and the reach is very nice.

Agility builds seem to be stronger in tournaments and in skirmishes. I can solo vikingr bands of 20+ which I could never do with a strength build. These are not meant to fight in the shield wall, but you could if you added a little armor though you should watch your encumbrance and avoid unnecessary weight. I play on normal damage so a throwing spear to the head takes me out most of the time anyway no mater what armor I'm wearing, agility just helps me survive a bit longer. I definitely think they are viable builds I just think it is a matter of preference and what weapons you want to go with. If you want to go mounted or be a sword/spear master agility is the way to go, if you want to one shot your enemies with the troll axe then a strength build is your answer. At level 31 I was able to have 20 agility and 16 strength, so a power strike 8 is pretty solid especially with the speed bonus.

It's all up to starting choice questions.

At lvl 36 my char is

STR 23
AGI 16
INT 12
CHA 8

Even with low CHA persuasion can be boosted to 10. I think I chose noble & oratory on character creation, so started with 6 persuasion.
(+1 read persuasion book, +1 keep monastery book in Inventory instead of giving it to the Ribe dock guy, +1 crown (when you get your own kingdom), +1 wearing emissary gown).

Leadership is 6 (could have been at 7 if I read the leadership book later, I screwed myself there, but I'll know for next time!)

reiksmarshal said:
At level 31 I was able to have 20 agility and 16 strength, so a power strike 8 is pretty solid especially with the speed bonus.

True, but if you go the other way 20 STR and 16 AGI, riding & athletics 8 are also pretty solid.

And just one more STR point (either by starting choice, the "sacrifice man" skill point thing, or the random building event when you own a city) means you can pretty much 1 shot anything with the Trolls axe.

Lord Doom said:
I dunno, probably. But even without it you can end up with 9 persuasion with minimal CHA points.

you know that cases that use persuasion usually check for charisma as well, right?  :wink:

That means both go on together, and having low charisma may even nullify your high persuasion.... just food for thought

I did not know that, if so, if a huge flaw and should be shown as a true value on the character sheet.

RPG's reduce attributes, skills & stats into numerical values so players can do a certain "builds".

Lord Doom said:
I did not know that, if so, if a huge flaw and should be shown as a true value on the character sheet.

RPG's reduce attributes, skills & stats into numerical values so players can do a certain "builds".

game tells you to increase INT and CHA if you want to do good in diplomacy, dialogs, etc, it is on the game concepts  :wink:. Ignore stats at your own peril  :twisted:

you can build your char as you want. A pure warrior that is a terrible leader, a great diplomat that lacks in personal combat, a mix of those, etc. Just don't try to be all of them at the same time  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom