Age of Wonders

Users who are viewing this thread

Fierce Headmaster

Hi! My name is Skippy.
Count
A turn-based strategy game, with a hex map, that marked my childhood and yadda yadda.

It's for 6 dollars on Steam, and damn it's worth it. Anyone ever played or is interested? I only played with another person twice in my life, it's ****ing hard to find people who like this kind of game.

Download the demo guys, the map that comes with it is one of the best anyways.

I remember when a witch alone killed my troops and my wizard  :lol:

Good game, had loads of fun when i played it.

Don't cross a Karagh's path then  :wink:
D'Sparil said:
I have AoW 2 and Shadow... something. Good games. The interface sucked though, and the battles dragged on FOREVER if you had many units.
AoW 2 is much more complicated and in the end, all you have is luck on combat. I once lost a 24-men army to 8 archers.

Headmaster said:
I only played with another person twice in my life, it's ****ing hard to find people who like this kind of game.

There's still a fair amount of people on aow2.heavengames.com. Age of Wonders is pretty fun. I played it quite a bit a few months ago.

I know this is necro but people this game is awesome and you need to buy it. If anyone is interested Id be willing to do a play by email game with someone.

I have them all on GoG, played only one of them. Quite nice, but horribly difficult.

OrangeKnight said:
I know this is necro but people this game is awesome and you need to buy it. If anyone is interested Id be willing to do a play by email game with someone.

I've never played one before, but I'd like to. Are you talking about Shadow Magic or the original?

I should mention that I've never played the game for any extended period of time, so I'll probably be pretty bad.

Toffey said:
OrangeKnight said:

I've never played one before, but I'd like to. Are you talking about Shadow Magic or the original?

I should mention that I've never played the game for any extended period of time, so I'll probably be pretty bad.
Shadow Magic, I never found the game to difficult. I beat the game on hard a couple of times.

I feel like the unit and building costs are a bit out of wack for the income you gain, though. Often I'll have a ****load of cities but only enough income for 1 of them to really do anything. Makes games stretch on for longer than necessary. I've never really learned how to use Pioneers effectively, though.

You don't generally need to use pioneers unless someone's doing a scorched earth and razing the economic buildings. Usually the best approach is to develop one city fully, with the rest you just stick in a couple of token production buildings and then have them produce trade goods. Usually a couple of archers with catapult/ballista backup is sufficient to hold the city against anything but the AI's favourite stacks o doom, but to be honest it's usually impossible to defend against their doomstack with anything but your doomstack anyway.
The other approach is to slash and burn yourself, using the plunder to beef up the capital and pay for your doomstack. You need to be fairly quick to really pull it off - usually you want to head straight for the AI's wizard towers to knock them out before you run out of coin.

Archonsod said:
You don't generally need to use pioneers unless someone's doing a scorched earth and razing the economic buildings. Usually the best approach is to develop one city fully, with the rest you just stick in a couple of token production buildings and then have them produce trade goods. Usually a couple of archers with catapult/ballista backup is sufficient to hold the city against anything but the AI's favourite stacks o doom, but to be honest it's usually impossible to defend against their doomstack with anything but your doomstack anyway.
The other approach is to slash and burn yourself, using the plunder to beef up the capital and pay for your doomstack. You need to be fairly quick to really pull it off - usually you want to head straight for the AI's wizard towers to knock them out before you run out of coin.
You sound knowledgeable I must play a game with you :smile:

As Arch said, unlike in MoM, building outposts is generally a waste of resources here if you play a balanced map. But SM has a random map generator (it's actually ok, if somewhat bonky), so if you create a random map with very few cities, building outposts becomes a viable strategy if you have no cities in your neighbourhood other than your capital.

I also recommend you guys to try the unofficial patch 1.4 http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=661
It reintroduces racial priests like in the original AoW (boy, those similar monks for every race really annoyed me) and some minor fixes and tweaks along the way.

Weaver said:
As Arch said, unlike in MoM, building outposts is generally a waste of resources here if you play a balanced map. But SM has a random map generator (it's actually ok, if somewhat bonky), so if you create a random map with very few cities, building outposts becomes a viable strategy if you have no cities in your neighbourhood other than your capital.

I also recommend you guys to try the unofficial patch 1.4 http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=661
It reintroduces racial priests like in the original AoW (boy, those similar monks for every race really annoyed me) and some minor fixes and tweaks along the way.
Yeah thats a great patch, AoW really does have a great community.

Weaver said:
The problem with that is the AI doesn't understand how to build towns.

Back
Top Bottom