AGE of CHANGE II : MODELS PREVIEWS

Users who are viewing this thread

Transitional armor (Cote a Plates, Hauberk of Plates,Pair of Plates) references that Narf may have used to make this armor are very common and usually found on tombstones or tombs themselves of knights from the period, you can check this link for references http://larsdatter.com/mens-surcoats.htm, or this page from the book I have:
capture2ok.jpg
capturezzg.jpg

and here are some pictures;

KN036-2.jpg
2006%20MCS%20Lingfield%20St%20Peter%20and%20Paul%20Reginald%20Cobham%201361%2006.jpg
Black-Prince-Jul04-DC4956sAR800.jpg

Zimke Zlovoljni said:
Transitional armor (Cote a Plates, Hauberk of Plates,Pair of Plates) references that Narf may have used to make this armor are very common and usually found on tombstones or tombs themselves of knights from the period, you can check this link for references http://larsdatter.com/mens-surcoats.htm, or this page from the book I have:
capture2ok.jpg
capturezzg.jpg

and here are some pictures;

KN036-2.jpg
2006%20MCS%20Lingfield%20St%20Peter%20and%20Paul%20Reginald%20Cobham%201361%2006.jpg
Black-Prince-Jul04-DC4956sAR800.jpg
Very nice indeed.

Nice! I like the Zulfiqar sword but in real life, the sword didnt look anything like that. It was an arab sword of excellent quality. Arab swords were straight and short, not curved. So images of the sword being curved and double pointed may be all false.

Al Mourad said:
Nice! I like the Zulfiqar sword but in real life, the sword didnt look anything like that. It was an arab sword of excellent quality. Arab swords were straight and short, not curved. So images of the sword being curved and double pointed may be all false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulfiqar

Well it was this:
zulf2.jpg

or this:
Zulfiqar.jpg

or I can simply rename the sword into damascus sabre, I know damascus sabres had all sort of variety in shapes, and problem solved, :smile:

Edit:
Actually I'll do that, it looks more like dam. sabre then zulfiqar.

Al Mourad said:
Yes, that probably true, but the short, straight blade 7th century sword don't fit the AOCII time period.
We used the name 'zulfiqar' only as synonym of bifurcated/double bladed sword. How the real sword of Ali could look that other story.
Zimke Zlovoljni said:
or I can simply rename the sword into damascus sabre, I know damascus sabres had all sort of variety in shapes, and problem solved, :smile:

Edit:
Actually I'll do that, it looks more like dam. sabre then zulfiqar.
Rename it 'bifurcated saif' and it should be OK.

BTW. Alternate version with tulwar hilt:
zulfikar1.jpg

Nice looking jacks! My only gripe is that they really do look mostly like padded leather. The rips under the arm of the first one helps by showing the metal plate underneath, but I think the front could benefit from a rip as well, just to show that there are, in fact, plates there.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time. I thought about one more thing, maybe instead of making more rips, it's better to make plates and then use them like a overlay (with small opacity) on normalmap, that way you could have a better hint of what is under, what do you think?

Plates on low opacity so that you can make out the general shape underneath? I like it. Alternately, you could use dodge/burn lines to somewhat define the edges of where the plates are underneath. I'm not sure which one would look better without trying it. Just my thoughts. You're a masterful texturer so take or leave my words as you please.

I never use burn, another layer over it with same color brush lines, with low opacity set on multiply(for example) gives better results and control over what you do, but the idea is on place. :smile:

And now I'm kicking myself for dodge/burning folds into the cloth texture of an armor I'm making. When I make a normal map, I won't be able to separate the folds of the cloth from the pattern on it and I'll need to do extra work to get it to look right... I can see why you don't use it =P

Back
Top Bottom