After a week of playing, I'm worried about what kind of modding foundation there is going to be...

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm really worried. The things that modders are limited by are really not further forward than Warband really. It may only be early access, but the fundamental limitations of Warband are still very much in play, if not worse.

Let's start with campaign AI. We all know that modders won't be able to completely override the AI if it's bad, and it's awful. It's arguably not even on par with warband right now. That worries me because it's not the kind of thing that should be on a 'to do list' after a decade. The foundations of AI have to be laid quite deep. As it stands it seems that our best case scenario is that in the next 12 months, TW transplants a new AI system almost entirely on top of this, because there are no decisions that the AI make that seem guided by any purpose except OMG CASTLE WITH FEW DEFENDERS even if it's behind enemy lines, or a complete nothing target in the grand scheme of the war.

Oh and that war? It pretty much doesn't mean anything. There's no 'higher purpose' and that again worries me about modding. I always think about the best mods and they had better stories, better goals and objectives. You couldn't build the LOTR mod on what we have now. Sauron would go and besiege Moria because everyone in it is dead. He'd then go back to Mordor because he hasn't got any food for his Orcs. There's no 'higher purpose' coded into the game, and I understand the sandbox element, but if the TW crew don't hardcode some of this, it will be impossible to mod into anything with a worthwhile end game.

Ok, now Battle AI.

Battle AI is so basic and although we have seen some improvements to in-battle commands, there has been no thought into making a battle feel like anything more than a sporadic and random event. It often feels that the protagonists are looking around like they've been teleported into an unknown situation, then they notice the enemy and everyone panics to get into position. Doesn't matter that you've been chasing these lads for 2 in game days, there's no preparation system. You can't choose your troops, choose your tactics or even position your army before jumping into the battlefield.

Those are absolute minimum expectations after 10 years of being involved with a game that is all about battlefield combat. Where is the love for the game? Where is the understanding that the strength of the game is in these incredible set pieces, which need build-up and a feeling of setting up troops and then taking the big leap into battle, not the other way round. M&B is not - despite what people sometimes say - a sandbox to the point where battles are meaningless or inconsequential. Right now, I'd be dubious that modders could overcome the limits and turn them into comething more meaningful.

And of course, if it's bad for the player, the AI is simply incapable of overcoming it. In the majority of cases, they'll aimlessly wander over and attack. In some cases when outnumbered they'll wait, then aimlessly attack when you get closer. It's often as simple as when you order the advance, they order the advance. They give up good defensive positions or don't move to exploit advantages. Nothing. Nothing at all. This is disheartening, because my basic expectation was that we'd be able to play out of context battles that were a big improvement from Warband.

TW needs to think about those limitations very quickly and focus on them. The infrastructure they build can support infinite stories and mods, many of which will transform M&B into an epic game that has another few decades of success. As it stands, there has been almost no obvious fundamental change to the engine that powers this whole shebang. Ask yourself honestly now, what has fundamentally changed from warband?

I got as far as:

Graphics - much better but probably at the lower limit of what people will tolerate, particularly up close textures and faces
Town size - bigger, empty scenes with no depth
Factions - they made the map bigger and added new factions with distinct lore, then added no particularly distinctive troop traits or tactical nuances

That's it isn't it? My hope was that the underlying foundations would be super robust, that we would have these super powerful elements that TW hadn't harnessed into a coherent finished product. That's clearly not the case and after 10 years, it seems a lot to think that they can work from such a weak foundation and do anything substantive with this. It's early access, but there's nothing here that you could hang your hat on and say 'oh, look at that big underlying work that will help M&B take the next leap forward.

I'll keep playing, I'll keep supporting, but I feel this needs saying despite this, because there's very little depth to what is on display now. Does anyone else have this feeling, or disagree? I only want what is best for the game, especially in the long term. I remember how it was impossible to overcome lots of the original Rome Total War code, and I don't want to see that dynamic become part of the M&B experience.

Remember. This is still early access.

I remember playing the original M&B when there was only 2 factions. When there were roaming parties of "Black Knights" and such. And even then Modders did some surprising things. As we progressed to the pre-Warband state, Mods got AMAZING. Then Warband came out and people started doing things that blew our minds.

So what I'm really saying? Give it some time. There's lots of things still not even implemented. We're Early Access, and basically an extended, massive Beta Test. I'm not going to expect mods to truly even realize what can be done for 2-3 years yet.

Mod tools will be release once Bannerlord exits early access. From what I've read in dev blogs it's one of the reasons development took so long, they created their own engine with modders in mind from the start

I've no doubt we'll see some truly breathtaking mods for this game in the future.

Yes it's Early Access, but the brainlessness of the campaign AI does cause concern. It is very clear that no work has gone into it in the last eight years - so what hope is there that things will improve in the next one?

Yes it's Early Access, but the brainlessness of the campaign AI does cause concern. It is very clear that no work has gone into it in the last eight years - so what hope is there that things will improve in the next one?

I get the feeling that they spent those eight years creating and then recreating certain aspects of the game, to the detriment of other areas such as the AI. It really was in development too long for its own good.

There is plenty of time for the AI to be improved. Again - it's still Early Access. This isn't the final form, and exploits the devs never thought of probably are being noticed now. So give it time. If it's still an issue in a year, then it might be more of a concern. But right now? There's a lot of game breaking things to work on first. Bugs, CTDs, that sort of thing. AI will get it's time.

Well, while it doesn't happen often, sometime the combat AI is truly amazing. I had one battle where I don't even know what happened I was busy setting up my troops and somehow they got spear infantry over to my cavalry units who were just standing around. The had to have started the charge as soon as the sim came up and they ONLY went for my Cavalry while their main line was still out of sight in the trees.

Then I just had another big battle where the enemy just wouldn't engage. I would move infantry forward and they would just fade away. The also put their archers in this huge spread out formation behind their infantry line, I mean it covered like a 100m square. I thought this would just make it easy for my Cavalry to clean them up but all it did was made it easy for them to clean up my Cavalry. I lead a change and becasue the distance between archers was so far apart, they ones not directly engaged by my Cav had plenty of time to shoot arrows and take out my Cav. I literally lost my entire Cav and Horse Archer force is about 2 minutes. I had a hell of a time with that battle, it took forever and while I won, it was quite literally down to the wire. Also my casualties were enormous.

I have had similar things happen maybe 3-4 more times as well but if there are moments where the AI truly seems inspired and alive, the vast, vast majority of fights are pretty predictable. I just set up a shield wall supported by archers, move my Cav off to the side for a future flanking charge and then go harass the enemy with my Horse Archers until they decide that it is better to charge than just take my Cavalry Archer fire. Now why does the AI seem inspired at times while being totally predictable most other times, that I don't know, but if they could figure out why those crazy, inspired AI battles happen and replicate it, battles would be very, very challenging.

It's heartening that the AI can have moments of genius. It indicates there is a potential accidental solution.

Part of the problem could be that the units themselves are perhaps not as distinct as they could be, so the AI isn't able to be taught how to use them effectively yet. Battle AI is less concerning than the lack of thought that's gone into the battles as a whole. I thought that would have been a pretty easy win for TW, they could have added 3-4 features to battle planning and troop management and it would make things seem so much better.

I think it's definitely a concern that some of this stuff hasn't apparently been touched or even thought about enough to change it by now.

Campaign AI is the big one though. The battles are important, but the context of them hugely matters, and the idea of the campaign map is to facilitate these huge meaningful battles. Hopefully these two things are at the heart of what they're focusing on.

While I'm honestly disappointed in the results of years of development - I'm still hopeful. You probably heard the whole "you built a new engine" thing already so I'm not repeating it
Personally, I see why TW is currently mostly microfixing to make the game playable, but I really wish they'd be more open about the things ahead, even if only one or two patches or milestones at a time, like "now our priority is balancing"
Still. So far I haven't had any reason not to assume they'll actually make a good game by the end EA is over.

I would say the new economy is a huge change from Warband. Sure its very unbalanced right now but there's some huge potential there. Still there is a lot missing in the game right now so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll probably take a break and check back in a couple of months to see how much progress has been made, but I doubt it will be ready for full release in a year.

Back
Top Bottom