Aesthetically Presentable Troop Trees Project (v3 - Work in progress)

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been playing Mount and Blade for years now, and I just stumbled on your Mod yesterday. Great job guys. I have a B.A. in History and I would love to help translate the 300+ names. Can you guys send me a list of the names that need translating? (including the culture they are from would be helpful but not necessary). I will send you back the list with the English names. I will keep the format you send, all I will do is exchange one native name for a translated name.

Different people have different preferences, and that's good enough reason why. I'd love to see it myself.  :smile:

I think English or cultural names would be better than the current Latin majority, I'm a Medieval History MA, and the Latin unit names are pretty spotty.

Sorry about being slow. but about the english troops. I'm thinking of making a new topic with all the units to retranslate into english. And people can just post the translations there on the spot - perhaps that will be more effective. As distirbuting work to volountiers are ineffective. I believe only one of all of them send me back some translations. Perhaps the sheer number of troops scared them off, no idea.

I'll post them when I'll have the time to do so. Might be after a few days

And thanks for offering to help, by the way!

It would be nice for each factions troops to be in their own language, as i would think that England would have called their archers "Archers" instead of "Sagittarii". If you wanted total imersion, you would load up the language for the country you were playing, so playing England, names are in english, France, the names would be french etc, but i could see that taking a long time.

hicks88 said:
It would be nice for each factions troops to be in their own language, as i would think that England would have called their archers "Archers" instead of "Sagittarii". If you wanted total imersion, you would load up the language for the country you were playing, so playing England, names are in english, France, the names would be french etc, but i could see that taking a long time.

Yes, but what English? If you want total immersion, it should be in the actual court language of the time. That is, the weird mix of Latin, Francien and Anglosaxon in England, Francien and Latin in France, Italic Occitan in northern Italy, etc.

@Ogaburan

Just noticed that in the Byzantine tree you have mentioned the faction as: "East Roman Empire (aka Latin Empire)"
The Latins are the crusader states in Constantinople, using West European troops as faction units. The Byzantines or East Roman Empire are a diff. faction. Just pointing out.

Good Work, though! Your trees did help me when I was starting the game! Thanks!

Cèsar de Quart said:
hicks88 said:

Yes, but what English? If you want total immersion, it should be in the actual court language of the time. That is, the weird mix of Latin, Francien and Anglosaxon in England, Francien and Latin in France, Italic Occitan in northern Italy, etc.
Troops carrying five-word names in latin is even less immersive than them having names in a modern language. Most of the time modern and ancient have more in common than each of them has with latin. It's not like courts were filled with scientist all speaking in latin,not to mention the military below the rank of "commander from the nobility". I'd feel more immersion if I heard a troop commander say something like, ahem, "sendeth forth the archers" or 'send the archers", "enveiez les arbalestriez" or "envoyez les arbaletriers",  than if I heard him utter like a Centurion lost in 1257 AD "sendeth/enveiez/mittere/whatever vacanii sagittarii militarii veteranii" (thanks google translate for latin).

- We captured two looters the other day. One of them is, wait for it, a 'iaculator arcobalista militaris absolvitur'
- Woah, a whole "arcobalista hurler completed military"? Er... what does he do?
- A fancypants crossbowman
- Damn you, I was fully immersed for a moment

:wink:

neofit said:
Cèsar de Quart said:
hicks88 said:

Troops carrying five-word names in latin is even less immersive than them having names in a modern language. Most of the time modern and ancient have more in common than each of them has with latin. It's not like courts were filled with scientist all speaking in latin,not to mention the military below the rank of "commander from the nobility". I'd feel more immersion if I heard a troop commander say something like, ahem, "sendeth forth the archers" or 'send the archers", "enveiez les arbalestriez" or "envoyez les arbaletriers",  than if I heard him utter like a Centurion lost in 1257 AD "sendeth/enveiez/mittere/whatever vacanii sagittarii militarii veteranii" (thanks google translate for latin).

- We captured two looters the other day. One of them is, wait for it, a 'iaculator arcobalista militaris absolvitur'
- Woah, a whole "arcobalista hurler completed military"? Er... what does he do?
- A fancypants crossbowman
- Damn you, I was fully immersed for a moment

:wink:

I have to agree with this.

Heresy! But we started to tolerate heretic beliefs a few days ago. That's why there's this now: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,217437.0.html

Not trying to be offensive but this is completely unhistoric.

The Mamluks had one of the most strongest Infantry called the Tabardariyya something like that heres the image
images

They also had very strong Nubian Archers

The byzantines didnt even exist at that time! and the Persian cataphract units were disbanded.Byzantines had sucky cavalry and archers but Very good ships and Infantry.

.Byzantines had sucky cavalry and archers but Very good ships and Infantry.

The Mamluks had one of the most strongest Infantry called the Tabardariyya something like that heres the image

Completely unhistoric? Really?

Said by someone who labels soldiers as "strongest" and "sucky" Come on man, you can do better than that.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Supreme_Imperator said:

images

The byzantines didnt even exist at that time! and the Persian cataphract units were disbanded.Byzantines had sucky cavalry and archers but Very good ships and Infantry.

Sorry, but totalwar games is not a reliable source for historical research.

DrTomas said:
Supreme_Imperator said:

images

Sorry, but totalwar games is not a reliable source for historical research.

LOL... that made me really laugh alot... come on man.... they do a good research..... and they put a lot of effort into it. Beside, their sources are as valid as yours, one thing for sure that I know is that they use lots of books and not websites.

and btw, I'm not referin to stainless steel or the Vanilla versions... but more of Broken Crescent, The Great Conflict, The Dominion of Sowrds.. etc

Off-course they do.
Samogitian_Axemen.JPG

Harith said:
and btw, I'm not referin to stainless steel or the Vanilla versions... but more of Broken Crescent, The Great Conflict, The Dominion of Sowrds.. etc
And when I say totalwar games i mean the vanilla version, not the mods.

DrTomas said:
Off-course they do.
Samogitian_Axemen.JPG

Harith said:
And when I say totalwar games i mean the vanilla version, not the mods.

yea I figured, but just wanted to make sure...

It would be nice to be able to recruit Templars, Hospitaller, Teutonic, and other orders from say one castle/city that would be the orders HQ. I played as a vassal for the Teutonic Order was able to get Teutonic soldiers from their lands and other order soldiers from the holy lands. Now that i make my own kingdom i cant get any order soldiers. Just a few from my monastery. which is only like 8 men every 7 game days or something. So is there anything that can be done to get more of these soldiers when you start your own kingdom, or maybe have the option to select/change your kingdoms culture to get all one kind of men?

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/

Back
Top Bottom