Advice in Melee Combat when swarmed

Users who are viewing this thread

janjanxtreme

Sergeant
Soo... I am currently using a shield and a one handed weapon...

And I need advices when I am swarmed with 2 to ?? units...
I know chamberblocking and stuff but when I try to chamberblock an attack I get hit by the other dude before I hit the one I chambeblocked...

PS : I am LVL 8 at athletics but they seem to run faster than me o.o

EEEDDDDIIIIIIIIIIT !!!!!!!! :  SORRY SORRY DOUBLE POST :sad:      Pls delete this post.

I am by no means an expert (tend to play on easier difficulties as far as damage goes) but as a vet of many arena fights I know the feeling of having every fighter turn at you at the same time and start running.  Personally I try to backpedal in a way that enemies will start to have their swings clip into each other (sort of a zig zag backwards jog).  It doesn't always work (especially if they are sporting a variety of weapon lengths) but if done right you can usually finish one person off while the others are clogged up behind.  I alwys feel bad for the last guys though.  I've been running away from him and his buddies for 100 yards and then all of a sudden he's by himself and being charged by a crazy man! :twisted:

Don't try to chamberblock. It's a good trick to master in dueling and ****, but if you're being swarmed just run backwards so that you're fighting the least amount of enemies possible.

I don't think there exist an answer for this problem.  You can try to run backwards, but until you fight half naked and have good athletics, they will catch up with you.  It is a viable strategy for lightly armored runners, but works much worse if they can outrun your character easily.

What I end up doing with my characters is to go for an offense immediately and try to cut myself out of trouble.  With a bit of luck and a fast weapon it seems possible to cut down surprising amount of enemies sometimes, but on other times I will just go down immediately.  It depends mostly on luck, as far as I can tell. 

I even tried to watch youtube to see how other people deal with this problem, and basically nobody seems to be able to win consistently against multiple AI opponents on foot, until they have beastly armor and fight garbage troops. 

As far as difficulty settings go, I find that combat speed is quite important here.  The lower it is the more time you have to deliver an attack.  One enemy less means much higher chance of cutting down another, and so on.  Damage setting doesn't seem to matter much.  It will take longer before they kill you, by a few seconds...  Shield doesn't help me much at all.  I prefer bastard swords.  They are very fast in two hands, and not too long, so they work at close distance.

Well, fighting against multiple opponents was never easy in reality, was it?

HolgerHardrada said:
I think the game is fairly realistic in that it is very hard to engage multiple opponents...imagine if you tried it in real life.  Like hirovard said, backing up helps.  Other things that can help-

1) Good range on your weapon.  I'm talking like 120ish range like a great sword (unless you're talking siege where you're in a crowded area.)  This way you won't have multiple enemies within striking distance of you, however this leaves you vulnerable to ranged attacks

2) Being able to kill quickly.  If it takes you 3 hits to kill each opponent, you probably won't be able to take on hoards of enemies.  This can be accomplished by having a high damage weapon (blunt or pierce v. high armor opponents,) placing your strikes to the enemies head, and by learning to get the most out of movement bonus.  Blunt damage is also useful in that it often knocks your opponent to the ground: Whether you use this opportunity to strike him while he's vulnerable or just to give you a second to knockout his friend depends on the situation.

3) High athletics.  I usually find 4 or 5 athletics is pretty good.  While athletics improves your straight ahead run speed by a little bit on flat terrain, I really like how it improves your maneuverability- how fast you can start/stop/move side to side.  Shuffling around enemies becomes much easier (on flat terrain...)

4)Good Armor.  This helps a lot versus low level troops, maybe not so much versus high level troops who can more easily bypass your armor.

5) Use terrain/surroundings to your advantage.  I often find the low ground advantageous v. melee troops, as it seems they often can not reach me while i can still strike their feet.  If you're in tight quarters a lot of times enemies with long ranged melee won't be able to successfully swing so they can be easy pickings.

There are other things that you might notice that are slightly more nuanced that can make a difference too.  For instance, once you get pretty good you'll notice yourself not just paying attention to the opponent right in front of you, but also the one behind him- because he may have a swing lined up right before you make a killing blow on the guy in front of him, and then you're probably toast.

If we're just talking about those training fields, #2, 3, and 5 will be very important...especially #2.  You should be able to 1hit kill with either the 1hander or 2hander (if you have decent skill)...that staff I find to be a bit weak...but maybe its just me.  Here's what i usually do in the training field-

With 2hander, wait for opponent to chamber an attack (unless they have 2hander and have chambered thrust)  and chamber a thrust attack (you may need to backup to get it fully chambered in time.)  When they are in range release the thrust and charge them at the same time, aiming at their head (may require some practice.)  of the 3 practice weapons, the 2hander has the longest range and highest thrust damage, and if they are charging at you and you charge at them, you should get quite a good movement bonus (between +50% or +80% is pretty good I find...maybe some people with really high athletics have done more on foot.)  If they have 2hander and have a thrust attack chambered you can do this still, but you have to hope you have better timing than the computer.  Otherwise, you can also practice becoming good at chamberblocking (riposting) their thrust attack, I usually prefer to do this with an overhead swing.

With 1hander, its a little simpler.  Wait for them to chamber, chamber a side swing, then dodge their swing and aim at their head.  You can do this with the 2hander too, but I find the other way is way too easy once you get used to it.  Actually you can do the same attack as previously outlined if you do it right, but remember you won't have as much range with the thrust.

Staff you can do either, but I find the thrust releases later on the staff than the 2hander, along with lower damage and range (if I recall correctly.)  I think this is the hardest weapon to be good at in the training field battles. 

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

*EDIT*
Forgot some simple things...like improve your manual blocking, and learn to feint.  A simple quick feint almost always works v. the CPU.

Try backpeddling without zigzagging - if you have a shield  then that can soak up thier attacks. Mind out for obstacles behind you like trees. When you walk straight the enemy will repeat the same kind of attack allowing you time to time your counterstrikes - hopefully you are carrying a quick weapon to get quick strikes in. Turn into your attack to get your hits in first and always be ready to raise your shield even after a successful strike as the other enemies may have long weapons which can attack through the first guy. Direct your retreat toward friendly troops and pray the enemy dont have higher athletics than you.Think 300! Use your surroundings when you can. I know its not always possible. Take a lesson from the train peasants villlage mission - it teaches you to withdraw to a better defendable position - hedges and trees and other obstacles will cutout types of swing (ie tree on the left = no swings from the left) - this is significant because the computer ai still tries to swing through the obstacle and gets blocked - while you can just switch to jabs and overhead swings.

Tripida said:
Don't want to break your combo, but he was answered days ago in his second thread...

Yep ! That's right I got answers already but I always appreciate people that try to help...

LOL, I still can't delete this post it said contact a moderator.

Back
Top Bottom