Advice for mid-game enjoyment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, all,

I'm currently at day 66 and level 14 (I know I'm not a power player when it comes to M&B/1257). I'm currently a vassal of the Teutonic Order with a very small army and one village fief. I've got a little bit of money and some decent weapons/armor.

What I'd like to know is:

• What's the best approach to grow my army size to the point where I can start attack castles and cities?
  • What's the best way to advance within my faction and start being granted additional fiefs?
  • Is there an optimum area of the game world for joining a faction? I'm wondering what some good regions are in terms of lots of cities in reasonabe proximity, interesting factions, etc. I feel like the Baltic region has relatively large factions and is a little spread out, while Italy has a lot of factions which makes it too much of a mosh pit when it comes to war.
  • Any general advice on what to do to gain power and influence in the middle game?

Thanks!

I have a regional manor for my one little village. What are the best avenues of investment to put into it?

I'm using lance recruitment, and I think this means I can only recruit volunteers at my own village/manor, right? Everywhere else I go within my own faction I only see options for mercenary bands.

orlandofurioso said:
I'm using lance recruitment, and I think this means I can only recruit volunteers at my own village/manor, right? Everywhere else I go within my own faction I only see options for mercenary bands.

Right. Your regional manor can have a big reserve army there, but it takes a long time to add 1000 people to it. The linked guide explains about it.

Mercs is the easy way, as you can get a few hundreds just by visiting a few cities.

Thanks for the advice.

Is the best way to get better reputation with lords in your faction (and thus more fiefs awarded) to do favors for them? Do tournaments and battles help?

orlandofurioso said:
Thanks for the advice.

Is the best way to get better reputation with lords in your faction (and thus more fiefs awarded) to do favors for them? Do tournaments and battles help?

Yes and no. Who gets what is not a simple thingy. Quote from TweakMB:

These tweaks are for Warband only.
The game decides who should be awarded a fief based on who has the most support from the other faction lords.  When deciding who to support, each lord will consider the following (in order of importance).  Once one of the criteria has been met, the ones below it will not be considered.  For example, if an acceptable lord with no fief is found, the other factors will be skipped.

1. Lords with no fiefs (only for villages).  Debauched, self-righteous, and quarrelsome lords will not consider this when deciding who to support.

2. Lord who captured the center (only for towns/castles).  Debauched, self-righteous, and cunning lords will not consider this when deciding who to support.

3. Friends and family of the voting lord.  All lords will consider this when deciding who to support.

4. "Most deserving" lord in the faction.  Debauched, self-righteous, and quarrelsome lords will not consider this when deciding who to support.

5. Themselves.  All lords will consider this when deciding who to support.

Before anything: remember that the more fiefs you own the lower your earning from rent. Its the corruption penalty that takes a good chunk of your cash. That can be tweaked ingame with the mod options.

In short:
1) Work on your renown
2) Make friends
3) Talk to them and make sure they support you. Easier way to do that is while on a campaign or a feast as many are close by.
4) Conquer it yourself (you should start the siege)

If you see a battle where a lord is losing and you go and save him... nice reputation bonus. Quests/favors work too. Send gifts. Support them on votes. And so on.

You are not even close to mid game, you are early game getting started. Lvl'ing yourself and companions, and buying semi decent gear.
Mid would be when you get your country up and running, and having few lords, waging wars and taking territory over.
End game would be when you have country big enough that other countries mass attack you to *curb your power* while you go for taking over the whole map.

Back
Top Bottom