Adding simple sailing into my mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Note: Before any of you refer me to one of the Q&A threads, you should know that I already asked there, and nobody answered.

Hello!

I've seen several mods where you could travel on water around the world map - not like in VC, where you stand on the deck, and order your troops\ sailors where to row and how fast - but simple ones, basically, click & move, like you would 'on land'. Gekokujo has had this (maybe they've updated it now, I'm not sure). Nova Aetas has had a similar system, but they have ports there, and I don't really care for ports, nor for custom boat animations and models.

Can anyone help me? I think the code should be osp because quite a few mods I've seen had this feature.

Thanks.

simple and sailing don't exist

but you can check VC code for a complete system, or look at the OSP section for other methods like https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,316581.msg7511161.html#msg7511161

Corbul said:
Note: Before any of you refer me to one of the Q&A threads, you should know that I already asked there, and nobody answered.
when? Your history didn't show any recent question on sea travel unless I am blind
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=449399;area=showposts;start=0

Cheers

kalarhan said:
Corbul said:
when? Your history didn't show any recent question on sea travel unless I am blind
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=449399;area=showposts;start=0

You're right, I haven't asked about sailing there recently, but when I did, people still didn't answer, in fact, most of my questions in those Q&A threads were unanswered. Note that I said "most".
Or maybe I'm just overreacting. :???:

Still, thank you for the reply :smile:

The simplest sailing needs the campaign map to have walkable roads over the seas as this can be used by standard Warband AI as well as the player. Terrain type 7 (ford/bridge) is a walkable water terrain, but it should only be used sparingly at the coasts. Its advantage is that it will properly blend with the land tiles. Its disadvantage is that too many such tiles can lead to map crashes. So for the bulk of your roads at sea, use terrain type 15 (deep ocean).
If you do nothing more, your sea roads will look like the rest of your oceans and can be walked by both the player and AI units. However, horses riding over or men walking over waves doesn’t look great. To fix that you need a trigger to check the terrain a unit is on and to change its icon to a ship where that terrain type is 7 or 15 and back again when it is not. It needs to cover every type of unit icon.
That then causes ship icons to appear when troops cross fords or bridges, which also looks silly. So if you want ship icons, you have to get rid of fords over rivers. You can only use bridges and the bridge icons must be placed over land tiles, not terrain type 7.  Provided your land bridge is slightly narrower than the bridge icon it will be hidden, making everything appear normal.

PS your next problem is that hostile encounters at sea will result in land battles unless you create a sea battle scene, mission template etc.

The simplest sailing needs the campaign map to have walkable roads over the seas as this can be used by standard Warband AI as well as the player. Terrain type 7 (ford/bridge) is a walkable water terrain, but it should only be used sparingly at the coasts. Its advantage is that it will properly blend with the land tiles. Its disadvantage is that too many such tiles can lead to map crashes. So for the bulk of your roads at sea, use terrain type 15 (deep ocean).
If you do nothing more, your sea roads will look like the rest of your oceans and can be walked by both the player and AI units. However, horses riding over or men walking over waves doesn’t look great. To fix that you need a trigger to check the terrain a unit is on and to change its icon to a ship where that terrain type is 7 or 15 and back again when it is not. It needs to cover every type of unit icon.
That then causes ship icons to appear when troops cross fords or bridges, which also looks silly. So if you want ship icons, you have to get rid of fords over rivers. You can only use bridges and the bridge icons must be placed over land tiles, not terrain type 7. Provided your land bridge is slightly narrower than the bridge icon it will be hidden, making everything appear normal.

PS your next problem is that hostile encounters at sea will result in land battles unless you create a sea battle scene, mission template etc.
I want to know more about this, bro

There are multiple OSPs around for that, beside that you can look up how it works at VC.

Back
Top Bottom