Adding New Companions to Brytenwalda Repolished

Users who are viewing this thread

unity100

Veteran
Im trying to add new companions to Brytenwalda Repolished (1.05), but wasnt able to make any headway.

I tried editing text files (troops.txt, strings.txt, menus.txt) directly. I tried using Morgh's editor. (nothing happens).

So far no results.

I guess i need the module system for Bryrtenwalda Repolished 1.05? Is it available anywhere?

Or is there any other way to do it?

Thanks from now for any pointers.

doubt it, many changes were made in the txt files (not the source). Your best bet is to use 1.41 (devs version) or another submod (like Reworked)

I feared as much.

If i could deal with scripts.txt some way, i expect i can make some headway. I was able to make extra companions appear here and there, but the scripts.txt part is missing. That part being missing causes noticeable issues.

You know I revised the old mod to add companions to the game in the source code.
Repolished is a bear to work with because it was done all in text.
It combines compiled code from different versions which lead to bugs.

If you really want to add more companions, I can fix up that mod to bring it up to date.
It's still posted on Nexusmods along with the mod.
Note that Brytenwalda Reworked already has 2 extra companions, both higher level trainers.
There is a slot for a third new companion already in the mod that I can quickly flesh out given someone's specific interest.
We can also change the names, attributes and looks of companions with minimal work.

I am aware of your Reworked mod, gwitt, and it seems like a quite a good piece of work.

however i chose repolished because i don't want brytenwalda become easier - like how you have done with reworked to accommodate players who dont have much time to put in. i want to experience the full brutal reality of 600 AD britain.

at this point all i want is to have more female companions in brytenwalda as opposed to merely having 4. if you can point me the way or if its something that is not difficult to fix up, i would greatly appreciate it. companions dont need to have backstories, special characteristics or anything. its ok of they have same base starting stats, but just different heads and names, that's what i am trying to accomplish.

gdwitt said:
We can also change the names, attributes and looks of companions with minimal work.

whoa this just escaped me until now.

so if i create a companion through morgh's editor, and just paste it over an existing companion but use the same id, but different name, that will modify the companion and it may work?

Morgh's will only allow you to change their starting qualities and names.
I forgot the details, but the biggest challenge is picking a female body and face for them.
You'll need to do that in "skins.txt" for BW rp.
I would test this be pasting the long strings that ID faces over the strings of companions in skins and seeing what they show up as.
Changing their conversations will be a bit of a chore, but not too hard. Do it in Strings.
I believe the version I have on NExus is somewhat compatible with Repolished as I modified it from a mod for BW 1.4.
There are many other versions of more companion mods that will give you an idea of what you need to change.

unity100 said:
at this point all i want is to have more female companions in brytenwalda as opposed to merely having 4. if you can point me the way or if its something that is not difficult to fix up, i would greatly appreciate it. companions dont need to have backstories, special characteristics or anything.

you do not want companions, just "heroes", which are troops that are "immortal", with a "health bar" and listed as a unit (not a stack) on your party.

Companions, lords, kings... are heroes.  But not all heroes are companions.

"Hero" should be a flag on Morghs.

I managed to pull it off it seems:

I used Morgh's editor to add/edit companions. Either is the same since i only would use the formatted data it prints out in the small pop up box when you add/update a companion.

So,

I generated face data with Edit mode in MB,

I edited (or added) a troop with trp_npc id prefix.

I pasted the face hash from MB's char creation screen there in Morgh's face section.

I clicked add/update (either)

I copied the full data it shows in the pop up box.

Then i went to troops.txt, and i pasted it over the data of existing companion/hero NPCs. but i used that npc's own id, i did not use a new one.

So this way, i totally edited a companion to another one. I was able to increase the number of female companions.

it seems, if i went and edited strings.txt, i would be able to change those companions' stories and responses etc as well, but i didnt need that.

So far i gathered ~16 of those companions and everything seems to work fine.

Nice,
The resource on Nexus for Reworked might be compatible with Brytenwalda Repolished.
It might require a few alterations.
It gives you faces, bodies and story lines for 80 or so additional companions.
I recommend submodders study that.

Remember Reworked has two Trainer companions added and an open slot for a custom companion that has not been released.

Back
Top Bottom