SP - UI Add Sub-Headers for Formations in Army Management Screen (Single Player)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate I

Recruit
Hi, my name is Nate and this is my first forum post, sorry if I'm doing something wrong or if this has already been suggested.

After every battle, i have to manage my army to get the soldiers in the order that I like, mainly infantry>archers>cavalry. It would be more convenient if the troops auto-sorted into the pre-defined formations to start with, so that I would no longer have to do this. This could be a part of multiple changes I would make to this interface, such as adding a way to sort troops by region, upgrade level ascending or descending, and other such changes. For example, if I recruit a new "battanian volunteer" it would sort into the formation 1-Infantry sub-header automatically, instead of appearing at the bottom of the Troops listing.

I think the first step to sort these troops into larger sub-headers of unit/formation would be better than the current solution of clicking each individual troop, then selecting the number icon, then choosing a number from the list. You would instead be able to simply drag and drop the unit into a formation, which is much simpler and intuitive.

Additionally, it would also be more clear as to how many of each unit type you have. The sub total could be included next to the sub-header This information is critical when making upgrade decisions, and the only way to currently see this summary information is in battle, and that does not include your wounded units. This becomes more and more useful as armies grow in size.

We have plans for more intuitive and detailed way of deploying/creating formations before battles. It's too early to talk about it in detail(since the design can change). It'll solve the issues you're outlining here and implement new features that you'll love. Think of it like the siege deployment stage but now you can modify formations and you can do this before normal field battles.

Thank you for your suggestions Nate keep em coming :smile:

Awesome to hear a fix for this is in the works! Definitely excited to see what you plan on releasing. Love the game already btw!

We have plans for more intuitive and detailed way of deploying/creating formations before battles. It's too early to talk about it in detail(since the design can change). It'll solve the issues you're outlining here and implement new features that you'll love. Think of it like the siege deployment stage but now you can modify formations and you can do this before normal field battles.

PBOD 2.0 ? :fruity:
interesting-gif-6.gif

That paragraph sounds very, very good.
Seeing as you're not going to tell us anything else, I guess we'll just have to keep us "tuned"... :iamamoron:

I hope that this will actually be an important and convenient mechanic, and not like now, when bots can easily manage 9 formations, and you are a leather b@stard who can barely manage 5 formations. Everything depends on the mechanics of controlling the army in the game. The most important thing that should be in the new mechanics is the convenience of managing a large number of formations (or groups).

New to posting comments. Rather than start a new thread I'm throwing my 5c in here (as the topic is related).

Troop Management:
Currently I manually sort my troops into alphabetical order for each (default) group: I II III IV etc. I assign one of my companions (I believe appropriately equipped) as the header for each group. Noting I am not playing on the Beta which has been fixed, each time I reload the game I have to re-assign the group for each companion (that doesn't auto default to that group).
Features I would like:
+ Each troop/character has their group displayed on their line, visible without having to select it.
+ Editable group(s): Allowing a specialized formation of mixed troop types. Where the troops allocated form a single unit and (attempt) to maneuver as such. Eg a mixed unit with a rank or two of Spear/Pike, supported by a rank of javelin, and bow (or xbow). Another special unit might include foot and mounted that work together.
+ Ability to assign a Sergeant (a single normal troop type with limited leadership based on std xp lvl, or a companion whose leadership/weapon/tactics skills apply, effecting various unit level factors. eg maintaining ranks). This also means if two companions are allocated to a group the player can decide which one is the active Sergeant (for training purposes they might choose the non-optimal). If additional xp is applied to this Sergeant is a different game consideration (but standard troop types would only gain additional std xp).

These ideas/comments may already be in other threads:
Inventory-Trade:
+ Have the locked flag stored for items that are sold (manually) or consumed. This would save the hassle of re-applying it for these items when you re-acquire them.

Character Combat/Civil equipment:
* These screens appear to be managed separately. Where a character has a civilian hat in the combat equipment, it does not automatically carry to the civilian screen. So I can equip different items on these screens, or to have the same item I need two of the same item (one for each screen).
+ On the combat screen, have a checkbox that makes the item used for the same slot on both but a duplicate is not required (if applicable, ie non-selectable for military items, deselects on removal or change of item to military). Checkbox is available for some characters based on skill perk. When active, the civilian screen shows a non-selectable item (can hover). The checkbox could be toggled from the civilian screen (on if the combat screen item is civilian), if unchecked the slot becomes empty and available for another item or leave empty. [Implementation method could be different with a similar effect].
* Companions (spouse and hired) appear to be able to start with non-civilian equipment on their equipment page eg saddles, associated with civilian horses. Or are some saddles going to be classed as civilian for players?
* Why was the bow cross? Bolts bolts bolts... All 18, or are they 20.
* Bags of "arrows" that weigh more but only have the same quantity as a normal quiver.
* Healing rates for horses do not seem comparable to troops (wounded heal fairly consistent rate, irrespective of party size). Considering the more horses you have, the slower they seem to heal. Having lots of horses logically should mean being more able to rest lame horses.

UI (Single and multi player):
* I want to be on the red (or player's favorite color) team... Can two players on opposing (Non-clan) sides/teams have their own screen display their own character/party in a preferred team color (which might be the same).

Maybe not for three or more way fights, as the real fun starts when in team chat an instruction is made to attack the red team, and one person says "Hey that's us". Of course this might occur via mods anyway.

Back
Top Bottom