SP - General Add penalty for retreating

Users who are viewing this thread

rrowland

Recruit
There's no penalty for retreating. So I can run in on a mount, throw my javelins, circle around the enemy while my archers pick off enemies and then as soon as my horse goes down, or the enemy gets close enough to start taking out my army, I can just retreat in a split second and repeat with a brand new horse and 5 new javelins.

I've used this to take out groups 2-3x larger than mine over 5-10 battles, even with the accuracy update (I do get pelted by rocks a bit more when fighting looters). It's harder to do with real archers / javelin throwers but still possible.

In a retreat, either resources shouldn't be replenished or some of your units should die / get wounded while retreating.

I am surprised no one responded to this, and didnt even find other threads on this issue.

I have taken out 5x army sizes without losses in like 100v500 battles by just taking advantage of this easy retreat option. Just line up your 70 archers and fire until enemy is close ->retreat and repeat. I realize there is a thing like tactical retreat but this is just too easy.

Suggestion: Make units who are closer than for example 50 meters from enemy get a 50% chance to get killed or wounded when retreating.

I would also base it on unit type. A battanian light skirmisher in a forest? no way you catch that, would make nice hit and run tactics and what you are doing now would make sense. But heavy infantry in the middle of the desert? Well, they ded. That can't really retreat without losses.

So, unit type, terrain type, distance, tactical skills and enemy composition as well.

Maybe they need to add penalty to have # of troops loss by retreating with tactic skill. Like leave some troops behind to run away. With morale loss as well.
I dont think its good to have random amount of troops die regardless of which units and just random, since after all I dont retreat entirely, just a tactical withdrawal and attack again. Tactic skill utilization here would be good though yes. Morale loss I think is a good idea also

Maybe the retreat option should make your army retreat in the same way they do when they lose morale and desert the battlefield. Everyone starts running to the edge, and you have to make it to the edge yourself as well.

Morale should be affected every new battle, too. Maybe depending on the relative strength of the armies, there's a morale hit when you retreat. If you're ahead, it can be zero. If you're even, maybe -2. If they've got twice the strength or more, -10. Something along those lines.

Having some sort of battle fatigue system that inst moral and actual resource system or ~something~ would help this

I to am guilty of doing this

I feel that 50 meter 50% to be killed is kinda harsh but.....shrugs a cohesion system/organization of the party to be ready for combat could spruce things up.

Take Hearts of Iron 4's system for supplies/org

Honestly i think things like this shouldn't have a hight prority. You don't have to use this broken mechanic.
Its like pausing and healing in Zelda for example. In theory you can't lose any fignt in Zelda breath of the wild if you farmed enough healing stuff (which isn't difficult). But if this ruins your gameplay experience because you got no challenge anymore, its pretty much your own fault.
At least for me bugfixes, more content and quality of live improvements have a higher priority

Honestly i think things like this shouldn't have a hight prority. You don't have to use this broken mechanic.
Its like pausing and healing in Zelda for example. In theory you can't lose any fignt in Zelda breath of the wild if you farmed enough healing stuff (which isn't difficult). But if this ruins your gameplay experience because you got no challenge anymore, its pretty much your own fault.
At least for me bugfixes, more content and quality of live improvements have a higher priority

What if I want to use the retreat mechanic, but I don't want it to be broken and abusable?

The devs have addressed many other abusable and exploitable issues in the recent patches.

What if I want to use the retreat mechanic, but I don't want it to be broken and abusable?

The devs have addressed many other abusable and exploitable issues in the recent patches.
But you can use the retreat mechanic without abusing it.
I gotta be honest i haven't use it so far. Can you explain how you could accidentally abuse the retreat mechanic?

But you can use the retreat mechanic without abusing it.
I gotta be honest i haven't use it so far. Can you explain how you could accidentally abuse the retreat mechanic?
You don't need to abuse any of the other exploitable game features that have already been fixed, but they still fixed them. That's not really a good reason to leave it in.

You don't need to abuse any of the other exploitable game features that have already been fixed, but they still fixed them. That's not really a good reason to leave it in.

I didn't say they should never fix it. But i think that a lot of things have a higher priority.
In my opinion the developers should focus on other things.
A mechanic in a singleplayer enviroment, that you can be abuse if you want, is not a problem.

If you are retreating to get ammunition, to re attack. Yes, you are abusing it.

I shouldn't lose half my army because I see the enemy holed up on a hill, and decide. Hey you know what. I can't fight this with out heavy losses so I'm going to walk away.

If you are retreating to get ammunition, to re attack. Yes, you are abusing it.

I shouldn't lose half my army because I see the enemy holed up on a hill, and decide. Hey you know what. I can't fight this with out heavy losses so I'm going to walk away.

Agreed... there should be a variety of factors with regards to the retreat option.
However, this is something that can be abused heavily, so something definitely has to change with the ease of retreating.

Maybe, instead of all of the above, when you click retreat, the player's character just shouts retreat, and all units flee the field. Those that get away, survive, those that don't, well they're lost anyway. As the player, you simply need to reach the out of bounds section, and instead of a 10 second timer, it immediately leaves the field for the player.

Agreed... there should be a variety of factors with regards to the retreat option.
However, this is something that can be abused heavily, so something definitely has to change with the ease of retreating.

Maybe, instead of all of the above, when you click retreat, the player's character just shouts retreat, and all units flee the field. Those that get away, survive, those that don't, well they're lost anyway. As the player, you simply need to reach the out of bounds section, and instead of a 10 second timer, it immediately leaves the field for the player.

This I could be okay with. As it would either force the AI to decide to attack during the retreat (and you could reform, thus a real tactical retreat) or you would be able to walk away.

I find if I'm actually losing a battle and need to you know retreat it's a useless feature. If you run to the edge of the map you get a 10 second cooldown timer before you can retreat. Problem is you are immediately sucked back into the fight on the campaign map. You should be able to break off and run away on the campaign map after retreating the way the ai does. When ai disengaged from battle on campaign map it puts a little distance between the two parties. The player just gets hosed and is afforded no such option.

Back
Top Bottom