Suggestion General Add option to change crafted item weapon "type" (skill it gains / perks it benefits) or allow new usages for crafted weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello,

I'd like to request one of the following:
1. To add the ability to specify what weapon type / experience gain / perk benefits an item should get
2. Change / create new weapon usages for crafted weapons.

Essentially, I wanted to make a one-handed sword that only uses thrusting animation + the overhand thrusting animation that javelins use.
I normally go about making new weapon types via the item_usages.xml / action_types / action_sets.

However, it seems that crafted weapons are limited to <WeaponUsages> and there isn't any xml method to create new versions of these.

I was able to circumvent this by creating a template that uses only the onehandedpolearm_javelinalternative weapon usage, and the weapon works very well.
These are thrusting gladii. The only issue here is that the weapon is considered a onehanded polearm, and thus experience gain is locked to polearms.
I assume it will only benefit from Polearm perks.

I'm also unsure how the AI will use the weapon if it is classified as a "polearm", will tehy attempt to focus on cavalry?

Thank you for considering this option!

Only caught a bit of what you wrote before -

Basically, when the gladius is swapped to the javelin thrust usage, it is considered technically as a pole arm.
My guess is the AI will consider it a pole arm, and I can confirm it is treated as pole arm with skill gain and guards carrying the sword in towns.
I haven't seen any way to change what skill gain / weapon type the AI considers it yet.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this!

Alright, we've implemented the following change with v165:
  • Fixed an issue with modder-created WeaponUsageData instances not being included in the crafting templates.
To resolve your issue you can create a new weapon type by adding a template. You can then define if a weapon is a polearm or a sword through code (WeaponUsage - WeaponUsageData). It's possible to define it as a sword and make it use just the polearm's upper thrust animation, for example (but not just through the template). You can mod item_usage_sets.xml with XSLT (http://docs.modding.bannerlord.com/bestpractices/xslt_usage_tutorial/). You will need to use project.mproj (not submodule.xml).
However, it seems that crafted weapons are limited to <WeaponUsages> and there isn't any xml method to create new versions of these.
Yes, there are no XML's for this and you will need to create a new one by coding it.

If you run into any issues, let us know!

Back
Top Bottom