Add custom particle effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

modoka

Recruit
Hi there. I'm trying to make a magic mod and noticed that I cannot change anything through particle_systems2.xml: I can add an exist effect to an item, but if I copy for example an effect AAA in particle_systems2.xml and rename it to AAA2, it won't appear in game, or if I delete AAA in xml, it will still work in game. So can anyone please tell me which file I should edit or which tool I should use?

Hi there. I'm trying to make a magic mod and noticed that I cannot change anything through particle_systems2.xml: I can add an exist effect to an item, but if I copy for example an effect AAA in particle_systems2.xml and rename it to AAA2, it won't appear in game, or if I delete AAA in xml, it will still work in game. So can anyone please tell me which file I should edit or which tool I should use?
AFAIK you need to use the Mod Tools Editor to create custom particle systems. However, I've only used them in scenes. I believe you need C# code to add a particle effect to an item unless you are just adding a particle trail to a projectile.

Upvote 0
AFAIK you need to use the Mod Tools Editor to create custom particle systems. However, I've only used them in scenes. I believe you need C# code to add a particle effect to an item unless you are just adding a particle trail to a projectile.
Could you please tell me which tool do you mind? I have Bannerlord Mod Kit on steam but didn't find particle system editor. I actually just want to add particle trail

Upvote 0
Go to one of your mod's asset folders using the resource browser and right click in a clear area:
w_jEt.jpg

This creates a new particle in your mod folder. Double clicking that new particle opens it up the Particle Editor. However, this is just a blank canvas where you can add/create and edit each LOD, so, will be very confusing by itself. To understand what you need, I recommend you search all modules with the Particle box checked and double click on one or more existing particle systems.
4Jdqn.jpg

As each one opens in its own Particle Editor window, I recommend you have your blank new particle system on one half of your computer screen and a reference particle system open in the other half. It's helpful to first reproduce an existing particle system, learning how it works, before attempting to customise one.
Particle trails are added to a projectile in weapons.xml:
DXAXE.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, not related to your question, but you've tagged this as [MB]. That tag is to mark questions for the original Mount&Blade from 2008. Just warning you so don't accidentally tag future questions with it and it gets overlooked by the [BL] community. The appropriate tags for this question were [BL] and [3D Art] or [Other]

Upvote 0
Go to one of your mod's asset folders using the resource browser and right click in a clear area:
w_jEt.jpg

This creates a new particle in your mod folder. Double clicking that new particle opens it up the Particle Editor. However, this is just a blank canvas where you can add/create and edit each LOD, so, will be very confusing by itself. To understand what you need, I recommend you search all modules with the Particle box checked and double click on one or more existing particle systems.
4Jdqn.jpg

As each one opens in its own Particle Editor window, I recommend you have your blank new particle system on one half of your computer screen and a reference particle system open in the other half. It's helpful to first reproduce an existing particle system, learning how it works, before attempting to customise one.
Particle trails are added to a projectile in weapons.xml:
DXAXE.jpg
Thank you very much! Really helped me a lot

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom