**Active Progress List** /--Planning the next release--

Users who are viewing this thread

Hazzardevil said:
That's a metric crap ton of money to spend on a computer, is using it part of your job?
Not at the moment, but before I was doing what I'm doing now I helped work on "Caribbean!" a tiny bit for Snowbird Studios. Honestly it is a crap ton because I've never took the chance to build a computer for myself. I was making SODW in a gaming laptop from Dell that has heating issues. I've always have been limited to the tech I could afford at the time one way or another. This is just something I should of done a long time ago had I the funds to do so.

I plan to make games on it independently in the near future.

He is also buying top spec monitors, which is pretty much the same as buying top spec flat screen tvs these days, so if he gets 1-2 of those, that would be half the budget right there.

Well I believe the monitor will be around a grand, The whole purpose for going 21:9 was to avoid black borders between screens and avoid switching apps between several different monitors. The extra grand after 4Gs is towards water cooling but I may not go that route.

Firestorm said:
Don't wanna go to far off-topic of current thread, but here is what I plan on building once school gets out.  :party: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Bdk3C
Feel free to go off topic here.

My only issue with the list is the GTX 970 4GB because of the 3.5GB issue. Unless you plan on getting another in the future I'd plan on just saving for a 980. What type of monitor do you plan to use.

Computica said:
Firestorm said:
Don't wanna go to far off-topic of current thread, but here is what I plan on building once school gets out.  :party: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Bdk3C
Feel free to go off topic here.

My only issue with the list is the GTX 970 4GB because of the 3.5GB issue. Unless you plan on getting another in the future I'd plan on just saving for a 980. What type of monitor do you plan to use.
I use a 1440x900 monitor that I got some time ago... Around Christmas time I wanna get a new mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. I would love to get a 980 right off the bat, but I'm running a semi tight budget with the build, so I can not afford atm.  :meh:

EDIT: With the new AMD GPU's releasing tomorrow I have been watching tech news on it and I am hearing a lot of good things about them.  :fruity:

Computica said:
Yeah but I'm not liking AMDs lineup so far. I hope the fury x can at least compete with the titan x in real world use.
Read a whole lot of **** about AMD's current drivers for the 300 series. There is this black flickering on the 300 series where it makes games impossible to play due to the screen going black for 10-20 seconds and recurring every 2-5 minutes.  :neutral:

Will we see  in the next version of the game  adherents  philosophical teaching  emperor Janus Constantius "World that is free from the curse of Time" ?
[spoiler="World that is free from the curse of Time" ]
dlga_legate_sq_3_02:legate_sq_3_03|The current emperor, Janus Constantinus, is somewhat different from them, however; he has a vision of a world that is free from the curse of Time.
dlga_legate_sq_3_03:legate_sq_3_04|Curse of Time ? What nonsense is that ?
dlga_legate_sq_3_04:legate_sq_3_05|A nonsense that can ruin individuals and nations alike. Time is always in motion, {playername}. Nothing is eternal; in due time, even mountains of solid rock begin to abrade and crumble. One day, this entire world will come crashing down to the abyss.
dlga_legate_sq_3_05:legate_sq_3_06|Will it end with a great bang ? Or will we make ourselves extinct before it ? Or shall the human race continue to exist, slowly drowning the world by its inbred corruption and lust for dominance, until apocalypse will be something to actually long after ? I believe none of these horrors are desirable.
dlga_legate_sq_3_06:legate_sq_3_07|These are disturbing visions indeed, but what do they have to do with the present ?
dlga_legate_sq_3_07:legate_sq_3_08|If you rule the present, you overcome the past and control the future. You may call my emperor a madman if you wish, but all this fighting, as gruesome it may be, serves the whole of mankind. As long as empires, nations, countries, communities, families and individuals continue to struggle among themselves, mankind will not develop, or at best rather slowly.
dlga_legate_sq_3_08:legate_sq_3_09|All those resources, all those lives wasted in battle... think of what we could accomplish with them if they weren't spent on pointless infighting ! So why not unite the kingdoms of the world ? Why not become a family of nations, all part of one great empire ?
dlga_legate_sq_3_09:legate_sq_3_10|Even the major religions, including {s33} preach of the equality of human beings. This only further supports the idea of a unified world envisioned by my emperor.
dlga_legate_sq_3_10:legate_sq_3_11|Interesting thoughts, but I don't think they would prevent the world's end when it's due.
dlga_legate_sq_3_11:legate_sq_3_12|I consider it worth a try. Have you read of the Great Calradian Empire ? Before that, this whole continent was filled with primitive, uncivilised barbaric tribes. Under the rule of the Great Calradian Empire, these tribes became the advanced, mighty kingdoms of Calradia we know today.
dlga_legate_sq_3_12:legate_sq_3_13|The only problem was that they each developed a strong sense of nationalism in the process, thus causing the empire to fall apart. But the technological and ideological developments survive to this very day.
dlga_legate_sq_3_13:legate_sq_3_14|You see, improvements and new discoveries occur more frequently during times of peaceful cooperation where no infighting is present and debates are constructive arguments rather than battles of thoughts.
dlga_legate_sq_3_14:legate_sq_3_15|I agree to some degree. But then again, what's the point ?
dlga_legate_sq_3_15:legate_sq_3_16|The faceless, easily manipulated masses will never be fully suited to decide their own fate, {playername}. Thus, in long terms they would only shamble to their doom when resources become scarce - or so does my emperor say. As such, it is the responsibility of monarchs like him and you to guide their respective people on the road to the future.
dlga_legate_sq_3_16:legate_sq_3_17|Now then, if we all unite and technology develops fast, who knows what will become possible ? Will we find the secret of long life ? Will we discover worlds beyond our own ? Will we be able to travel there and inhabit them ? There's a chance to all of these. And, if that is so, then humanity will thrive, prosper and improve in nature, able to withstand the curse of Time.
dlga_legate_sq_3_17:legate_sq_3_18|I know, upon first hearing these may sound like the ravings of a madman; and indeed, many of the Imperial Legion question the sanity of our emperor. But giving it some thought, I myself found the genius behind the mask of lunacy. I may not live to see the fate of our empire unfold, but still, I consider these visions of the future worth fighting for.
dlga_legate_sq_3_18:legate_sq_3_19|These ideas are hard to comprehend. I respect your goal, but the war between us will continue.
dlga_legate_sq_3_19:cpsq_0|I can't blame you for your choice, {playername}. I'd probably act the same way as you. But at least I could express the reasons behind my actions to someone.
[/spoiler]

There will not likely be anything 'story-wise' added to the next version or next versions.

It will be more code/mechanics work when we get up and running again. (For the first few update/releases)

I haven't started on the PC just yet, I'm planning on making a Intel based build using the Intel 6700K so it'll be about month until I know what hardware to buy. I'm hoping to see DX12 you performance results in the meantime so I can decide which gpu to go with.

As far as the mod goes I'm planning on making certain cultures for certain factions play quite different from each other. Originally Lib and I decided on just a Fuedal Kingdom Management play style for all factions, but I made some mock up ideas to have different management and ruling layouts for certain cultures. Here's a list of playable ruling types I have planned:
Imperial, Fuedal, Republic, Theocracy, Nomadic, Tribal

I'm also thinking of about 2 more at the moment but I'd rather they be tied into the Fuedal system just with different configurations. This won't be difficult to do as long as the player can have the ability to customize there Kingdom laws and governing types.

Imperial and Fuedal governments are interchangeable. Fuedal kingdoms are highly configurable and will be the basic type of government intake.

Republics and Theocracies are purely management positions and do the least of any fighting. Republics can greatly effect the economics of the map. Theocracies mold the religious aspect of the game. Republics and Theocracies are low level management areas found under Fuedal/Imperial governments.

Nomads and Tribal governments are quite similar in structure. I'll have more details on Nomads later as they will most of the fighting. In the beginning of the game there will be mostly Individual Tribal factions that are meant to be captured.

Thank for responses!
Computica said:
Nomads and Tribal governments are quite similar in structure. I'll have more details on Nomads later as they will most of the fighting. In the beginning of the game there will be mostly Individual Tribal factions that are meant to be captured.
The first thing that idea come to mind - Genghis Khan :smile:.

Yeah the Nomads have a setup similar to Genghis Khan, they are focused more on population management and there being numbers in strength. City building will be there disadvantages.

To be honest, You shouldn't try to rework on the mod once you get your new PC.

Bannerlord is coming out soon early 2016, and not many will be playing warband anymore much less for small mods.

Once Bannerlord comes out I suggest you learn the new API and try to transition this mod to Bannerlord.

Just my two thoughts on the future of this mod.

@Ryancup
  "To be honest, You shouldn't try to rework on the mod once you get your new PC.
Bannerlord is coming out soon early 2016, and not many will be playing warband anymore much less for small mods.
Once Bannerlord comes out I suggest you learn the new API and try to transition this mod to Bannerlord.
Just my two thoughts on the future of this mod."  <- original post

I disagree.

Time spent on Warband tests algorithms, not just syntax.
    Bannerlord will introduce new syntax, and C++ instead of Python (I'm told)
    BUT
    as explained to me at my first software job in 1983  (a startup at the time called "Borland")
    "Algorithms + Data Structures = Code".  (a famous book on Pascal)

I wouldn't hold my breath on Bannerlord and do NOTHING for a year waiting on Taleworlds to decide to release Bannerlord modding system.  May as well advance the code base, even if any kludges Warband forces on us might have a still unknown and so far mythical "elegant solution".  Bannerlord isn't released,
making it use .NET implies a paid subscription to MS Visual Studio (although I hope a free version exists that isnt dependent on an "Academic License" - I haven't been to University in at least 30 years, not that I'm paid as much as a college student either.)  In any case whatever syntax changes, good mods would be ported to Bannerlord the same way old Mount & Blade mods can be grafted into Warband mods (I was able to do a merge of Mirathei's Curtain of Fire into Rigale+Diplomacy in about a week, maybe the most of it in 3 days - not that the idea was a polished mod, I just wanted to study it and it was inconvenient to not have it run as a Warband mod).  The calls change, syntax changes, but the algorithms are what matters -- old data is replaced by new, the map changes,
but if the modder has their eyes open its can be converted relatively quickly.

What fails in my eyes is thinking every Warband mod is at its peak capability and there is no new territory to be written -- that just smells of
"stuck inside the box" instead of "think outside the box".

But thats an opinion.  If you've actually written a mod, you'd have your own opinion --
  Perhaps one better validated than mine.  I'm not exactly the best modder in town, but low skills == more time to mod, which is always
a bit of a balance.  That or I might keel over from extreme age before Bannerlord bothers to release itself, not that I'm complaining, much  ; )

- GS

LibSpit said:
He is also buying top spec monitors, which is pretty much the same as buying top spec flat screen tvs these days, so if he gets 1-2 of those, that would be half the budget right there.

In my limited experience as a 25 years paid "junior engineer",  hardware falls in price rather quickly if you choose a sweet spot just slightly behind the bleeding edge.  For monitors I paid not more than $150 each (and probably less) for decent full HD 21.5" monitors from Asus, such as the 198VE with a 15 pin VGA interface.  I can't really imagine needing more than that for coding, two of them if I wanted to leave snippets open across many files for cut cut&paste.
I'd be surprised if two decent 22 inch FullHD monitors didnt have to cost more than $275 for the pair, delivered anywhere in the USA.  Check  pricewatch
if you're unsure what the mail-order / low end wholesale price is on any arbitrary hardware.  I live overseas now but have used Pricewatch for at least 20 years.
It's kept the cost of the last 100 or so PCs I built for myself, over the years, quite small.  I see compy wants some pretty high end stuff, but perhaps he gets paid many times what I do, and has the excess cash to burn. 

But there is no need to waste half his budget on eye candy.  The whole project could be done, and done well, probably for half what he think he needs.
But what do I know?  I know ... something about the industry.  Perhaps it pleases me to help with advice, which is cheap enough.  I'm not trying to sell him something, just think its crazy to spend much money on a PC without a good reason, just like its crazy to think a good PC means spending a lot of money.
If anything I'd recommend a bill of materials and a swiss army knife and suggest he build it himself if he has skill and if not pay some mail order site with a decent reputation a $35 fee to do it for him, and ship it assembled as a box according to his custom order.  I always build my PC from a bag of parts; at least you can control the quality if you make it yourself, the same reason some people pack their own parachutes.  It helps to have some idea of why you pick specific parts but mainly you research each item in advance and prepare a spreadsheet to get access to the specs that matter most, then hunt the sweet spot on spot market pricing in that category (not neccessarily looking for the cheapest but aiming for best bang for the buck).

It is a bit of an art to determining best build of materials to match a market sweet spot, in as much as the sweet spot  moves every 3 months, if not sooner, but certainly its worth taking some time - 2 days at most, to see how much less it needs to spend.  Pick a distributor that is not far from where you live so you can visit them in person, and otherwise make sure your build makes sense in terms of thermal heat dissipation, bandwidth of not just processor but memory (are 2 channels enough? How does that compare to 4 channel chipsets? Is the cost of DDR-4 worth it compared to relatively cheap DDR-3?).  Graphics is nice but a coder doesnt use too much -- in my opinion the Nvidia GTX-750TI cards I bought last year at the $140-160 price point here in Eastern Europe were just fine.  I don't need to blow much more than that - certainly not when the code you write is given away for free anyway.  A real coder doesnt really have time to play much else; the project sucks what free time the poor SoD I mean sod gets...

I suppose this is a lot of writing, but I wanted to give some value back when asking for something, and maybe reading the history part 2 of the mod makes me feel Compy is a little closer to my life 30 years ago when I was in his position (and most likely I did a worse job of it).

- GS

Back
Top Bottom