Acronyms of the Internet(What do they mean?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Grocat

Sergeant Knight
So...could somebody please explain to a person, who is not soaked in computer geek culture, what do these magical terms you use mean?  Some I can figure out using logic, but...honestly.  It gets really annoying when people start throwing inane combinations of numbers and letters together to supposedly form a word.

So...what do these mean?  I think I know but I'm not sure.

ZOMG
IMO
IMHO
any other acronyms commonly used on the forums.

Does anyone else find that annoying when people can't write in simple English?  Just post what confuses you, and hopefully somebody will be able to explain what it means.

-Grocat the Overly Tired of Acronyms

IMO: In My Opinion
IMHO: In My humble Opinion
ZOMG: well, i don't actually know. See, grocat, i'm not a really interneterized person my self.

Thanks, I suspected that was the case.

what about PWN?

-Grocat the Surly Moth Explorer

CrazyEyes said:
"ZOMG" is just some dumbassery nonsense version of "OMG", which stands for "oh my god".

I have a question though...is there any actual reason for the 'Z'.  Does it have some symbolism, does it add emphasis, is it a subliminal message?

-Grocat the Non-Sequitor Wrist Watch

Nope, a lot of this stuff doesn't really have a defined way of verbal pronounciation either. ZOMG is kind of noobish/leet. I often use it in a mocking sort of way.

pwn also stands for player owned. pwnzor/pwner someone who pwns.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/ is great for looking up terms like that.

I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to the point where I'd look at that website.  :sad:
But it's good to know that it exists!  :grin:

-Grocat the Inferior Ghost Chaperone

Oh ,and IMHO means in my humble opinion, and IMNSVHO [which I havn't seen except after I already used it a few times, and not since then, so I claim a hand in coining it] means in my not so very humble opinion, IMNSVHO.

I wrote a huge rant in my Xanga once about internet acronyms and abbreviations a while back, took about twenty of them, explained what they mean and then why I hate them. I don't like people arbitrarily raping my beloved English language like that, LOL.

That... and they just make you sound facking stupid.

Reinhart said:
I wrote a huge rant in my Xanga once about internet acronyms and abbreviations a while back, took about twenty of them, explained what they mean and then why I hate them. I don't like people arbitrarily raping my beloved English language like that, LOL.

That... and they just make you sound facking stupid.

OMGWTFROFLBBQ WTF IS WRONG WITH U MAN!!!11!

That what you mean?

I'll admit, I use internet slang on occasion, but only in a mocking, hipster-ironic sort of way.  In some areas, specific misspellings have transcended the status of typo or internet slang to become a full-fledged meme.  This is especially prevalent on, for example, the Penny Arcade forums, which are home to an entire host of catchphrases.

I never - well, seldom - use such vocabulary when talking to strangers, classmates, or profs.  But there is a certain puerile enjoyment to be found in kicking back with a friend online and ranting "ZOMG, Hegelian dialectic is teh suck, I hope it dies in a fire."

Back
Top Bottom