About upgrading the sound system

Users who are viewing this thread

dablade

Master Knight
Due to the fact I work at sound editing myself, I'm always very aware of the sounds coming from my studio monitors when I play M&B (yes, I play M&B in my studio :razz:). So, I'm probably both more aware and demanding than the average player, but I believe sound in games is as important as in film. So, I thought it could be worth it to post a few ideas that (hopefully) could help making my favorite game even better.

Although the revamped sound system introduced in 1.0 was a great improvement over the previous version, I believe it could be further refined, so I decided to share my thoughts on the matter with you. Maybe some of these suggestions could be implemented in the upcoming expansion.

1- I think the next step regarding a sound system upgrade would be to apply the same principle to armor as it is already implemented for shields; taking into account both the type of weapon and the armor type (flesh, leather, chainmail or plate) in order to trigger the appropriate sound(s) would bring the M&B sound FX to a new level.

2- If the same principle could be applied to trigger the footstep sounds accordingly to the armor type the player and other units are wearing, that would be even better. It would bring more life and immersion to scenarios where multiple kinds of armor are used, be it in a city or out on a battleground.

3- Although I believe the same principle wouldn't work for horses, it would be nice if something could be done on that department; a heavily armored horse shouldn't sound the same as a light horse. For the same system to be applied to horses, you'd need to be able to buy armor for your horse, but that would be another matter altogether and beyond the scope of this post.

4- It would also be nice to have a more dynamic environment sounds FX system. It would be great to hear the wind over the mountains and/or high ground (both in the worldmap and in the battlemaps), hear the birds in forest areas, hear the ocean and the rivers, hear crickets at night, etc. I believe this would greatly contribute to game immersion.

These are the major upgrades to the sound system I'd like to see implemented on the upcoming expansion. Forgive me if these are old news to you (dev team), but at least (and after I searched), I couldn't find anything like this posted on this forum

Keep up the good job.

Regards,

DaBlade

Yeah. A while back, the Guild Wars team added proper foley sound effects to armors, so you would clink appropriately when you moved. Dunno why they removed it, it was great. Added a lot of immersion, and I'm sure 'twould be the same in M&B.

Environmental sounds would also be great.

DaBlade said:
Glad you liked these ideas, let's hope the dev team likes them too :smile:

First of all, i agree with all your added sound effects.

Secondly,I have some ideas of my own ( I already made such threads , but since you are more likely to get responses, i will post them here  :smile:) :

-Shouting orders : Charge, follow me, hold position,infarty,cavarly,archers (to actually get a feel of someone leading an army.It would be great,if all participating lords would shout orders in battle, but that would be somewhat harder to do...
When ordering charge, soldiers would normaly respond with warcries.

-When walking the streets : Peasants chatting (like in game gothic).For example, when you go past someone.It would also be nice, when you go past guards and if you are in friendly/neutral town, they would respond with greetings,and if you are in disguise they would respond with : ''Move along scum'' or ''mind your own business'',...

-When you start a conversation with a person, he would greet you (like bandits does, when they surround you, and they want money, only their voice wouldnt be so hostile  :razz:

-Maybe few taunts which you can throw at the enemy like ( you bastard!/ You will rot here!!/, Feel my steel!!!/ You are nothing!!!/SUUUCck on my AXE!!!/No mercy!!! HIJAAAA!!!!/ DIEEE!!!! Lets DO IT !!!! get the picture ?  :grin:

-More mediveal type tracks when travelling on map

-When near village who is getting looted, is already burned, or commanded by bandits :
If you are riding naer burned village, you would hear fire burning, if village is getting looted, you would hear same sounds as, when normal battle is going on.f bandtis are in village,and you are riding nearby, you can hear villagers begging for mercy, or screaming in pain etc...

edit : Crowd in the arena?:Im not convinced, that arena fights,tournaments etc, was the most exciting thing townsfolk can ever see in mediveal times.At least not in MaB.Crowd should respond to kills(if headshot, they would go crazy  :lol:).Also they would appreciate if one soldier would be getting consecutive kills(they would cheer louder for him).On the other hand, if fight wouldnt be good (slow), they would respond with ''buuu''

Anything usefull?

Rexxar said:
Anything usefull?

Yes, like shouting orders. I've been wanting that for a long time, but forgot to put it here. I also think the fire sound for a looted village is a good idea. The city and arena improvements are great ideas, I really like them.

The soundtrack is another topic altogether, I'd rather not discuss it here.

Thanks for the input :smile:

Back
Top Bottom