SP - General About units, cultures and lore (Battania, Aserai, minor factions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Madeloc

Regular
Hello Dev Team,

Jump to the end I wrote a summary if you want to avoid the poetry :smile:

I find that Bannerlord has a good lore, an existing world with several cultures some stories, etc.

Sturgia reminds me of the Nords in Mount & Blade and Mount & Blade : Warband.

Their strong units were the Huskarls. I think the Druzhinniks are cool, but I digress :smile:

1) Battania
But what I'm thinking the more about is Battania : they are the only ones whom lords are all infantry.

- the idea is to remove any form of cavalry for Battania, but instead adding a high rank infantry, maybe not r6, because of the Fians who are already very strong and good units, but when I meet battanian armies with more cavalry than the "cavalry cultures" as Vlandia, Empire, I feel upset lol :smile:

So, no cavalry for Battania.

When I play Battania I use a mix of Oathsworns, Falxmen and Fians, and that's working well.

2) Aserai
Aserai has a cool background too, the desert, southern, a nice variation of other cultures, but : they don't use camels !!!!

Give camels to aserai !!! If I could, when playing Aserai, as cavalry I would use Ghilman and Jawwal units.

I think aserai cavalry should be using camel, for the lore, the exoticism, and why not, ELEPHANTS (maybe with a limit of a few units per army/party, cause that would be powerful units).

3) Minor factions
See summary :smile: :smile:

SUMMARY :

1) Battania : no cavalry, full infantry !

2) Aserai : cavalry must be camels and elephants !
About elephants : slow, with a carrycot and several archers inside (a bit like Olifants from the Lords of the Rings) - remove Mameluke heavy cavalry.
About camels : standard cavalry uses camels (beware the height of the camels, with short weapons it is impossible to hit infantrymen, on the ground).

And for cavalry in general, NO throwing weapons.

3) Minor factions : minor factions should use only their specific units. They could have the ability to convert any basic recruit in the recruits of their faction.
With maybe adding for the Embers (light armor no shield, and melee) a support unit a bit like the hidden hand, and the perks for their leaders so as to help the survivability of their troops. Or compensate the relative weakness of some of the minor faction units with the size of their parties.

That's all, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
You’re asking to make calradia more mythical then historical adjacent, and the latter is what they are going for.

No faction should be without cavalry. If armies have “too much” adjusting AI preferences might be the better way to go. It would honestly make more sense for the Khuzait to have no foot soldiers, as Parthians, Mongols and other horse archer “swarm” armies mostly used slave and auxiliary forces not of their ethnicity as foot soldiers when needed.

War Elephants were mostly non-existent at this stage. Forest Elephants were virtually extinct, and tactics in the region evolved past them. Any instance would be highly limited.

Age of Empires is highly inaccurate to have all/most Camelry. I agree it needs to be apart of the army in some way (my best push would be to make the Aserai caravan guard as Camelry with Javelins and the Vet have a bow) but they weren’t all encompassing. A lot of Camelry was just mounted infantry, which would be represented by having camels in your inventory. There was plenty of Camelry raiding parties, as they could transverse terrain horses couldn’t, and many “road wardens” road camels, but they don’t need to be over-represented.

“No throwing weapons on Cavalry” is an ignorance that I honestly don’t think needs to be addressed other then saying not a chance. Especially for Aserai.

Back
Top Bottom