About the smithy's smithing system.

What do you think of the current Smithy system?

• It's perfect

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • It's great, but it could have a few small improvements.

Votes: 165 62.7%
  • Meh... I don't even really use it. Doesn't bother me as well, though.

Votes: 29 11.0%
  • I don't like it at all. I only purchase or loot weapons in the game and I hated Smithy's system.

Votes: 65 24.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The system to create your own weapon was one of the things I was truly most anxious about.
I kind of REALLY loved its concept and loved how it looks in the game, yet, I can't help but feel it lacks a few things.

For one, one of the things I felt it lacks the most is an "NPC" of the sorts within the same window of the smithy, maybe as a forth tab besides "Smelt", "Forge" and "Refine" would be called "Owner".
An NPC you can talk to in order to purchase resources and request for him to forge something for you.
If you choose for him to forge, you would be returned to the "Forge" tab, but the resources available to you would be those belonging to the owner and the parts and skill level open for you would be his as well, so forging with each Smithy owning NPC would have different options available.
The smith would first use the player's resources to forge, but if the player does not have the required resources, the cost for the resources would be added together with the cost to forge the item.

The owner could also have a store of his own that sells only procedurally generated weapons with random names.

The second thing that got me slightly disappointed at the smithy was how small is the range of size customization.
For example, the "Simple Warsword Blade" size can only go from 91 Reach to 109 Reach, and the same happens to the guard, pommel and grip.
I kind of fell like the range should, or at least could, be a bit wider and also possibly have more than one slider, such as instead of "Size", "Tall", "Wide" and "Thick", giving 3 dimensional sliders to customize each weapon part, or at least most of them, as how wide and how thick a weapons grip is does not influence much positively to its usefulness in its extremes.

I hope this opinion is pertinent and if the developers do see it, consider the possibility of these slight alterations to the smithy system which I do indeed actually love.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deGoucan Scrolls Index

LeyJo.png

Last edited:
Great thread with good ideas
I person really enjoy smithing but think there should be a smith to unlock parts for gold and give you resources for gold or craft the weapon you desire for gold and each town has a differently levelled smith so they have different capabilities that would be cool
Don’t forget weapon crafting is bare bones as they’ve said and no where near done so expect a lot more work and upgrades on an already super cool feature

D'oh! :facepalm:
Is there ANY way to reassign my smithing perks?! Cheat, hax, ANYTHING! I don't want to start again :mad:
I did not realise that I can get metal from salvaged weapons so I went full retard..umm I mean refine.
But now I can't learn pratically anything from smelting :oops:

perk.jpg

D'oh! :facepalm:
Is there ANY way to reassign my smithing perks?! Cheat, hax, ANYTHING! I don't want to start again :mad:
I did not realise that I can get metal from salvaged weapons so I went full retard..umm I mean refine.
But now I can't learn pratically anything from smelting :oops:

perk.jpg
Don’t think so :sad:

I would like to see expansion into armor crafting, I really like being able to make 'my' weapons. Its really awesome to be leading an army with a weapon i made :smile: Also... Bow crafting / Arrows! Fletching would be awesome.

I would like to see expansion into armor crafting, I really like being able to make 'my' weapons. Its really awesome to be leading an army with a weapon i made :smile: Also... Bow crafting / Arrows! Fletching would be awesome.

Oh I would LOVE see armor crafting for humans and horses! And don't forget shields!

The system is cool, but the interface is quite strange and don't fit the rest of the game, as if it was made by a different team.

Anyone knows if the scabbards are still a thing?

It would be cool if the smithy wasn't just for yourself and your companions but also for your troops. Kind of like how Prophecy of Pendor has Custom Order troops that you can outfit with whatever weapon you have. Another possibility could be that you forge weapons to meet quotas for your kingdom or quests.
For example, the quest "Gang leader needs one-handed weapons" (or something of the like) can have the person asking for a specific type of weapon in an allotted amount of time. The more your smithing skill and the better weapons you can make should dictate how much reward you get.

The system is cool, but the interface is quite strange and don't fit the rest of the game, as if it was made by a different team.
Otherwise, I completely agree with this, seems like a weird mod feature that is for a select group of people who like uber customization even though you can find cool swords from the market or from war loot.

Smithing is a good idea in practice, but the actual having to refine all the resources and all the tedious clicks and waiting.... IDK... It could be improved. Seems super super tedious currently.

I said “few small improvements” but I think it needs a pretty big overhaul.

- The stamina system needs removed or reworked. I’d almost rather it be a gold sink and spend gold instead of stamina?

- Stamina bar should show without having to hover over portrait.

-I’d remove the stamina recovery penalty from movement.

- Armor and other weapon types need added (I’m sure this is planned)

-Sliders are a little sensitive. Being able to use arrow keys to make incremental adjustments would help.

My biggest gripe with the System at the moment is the randomness of learning stuff. My Character has only 30 smithing, but for some reason instead of learning a Tier 1 or 2 blade he learned a Tier 5 one. Not only is there no Chance in hell that I actually manage to craft that, I can't even get the materials by refining yet.

Back
Top Bottom