About "Serfdom" and "Road Tolls" policy (AI global prosperity problem)

Users who are viewing this thread

iRkshz

Regular
Foreword:
First, I'll explain what "Prosperity" is (for those who don't know) and why it is the most important stat in the game.
And so that gives prosperity:
1. Settlement Tax (the amount of gold that the owner receives every day)
- you will have money for your needs, the bigger, the better
2. Construction (the amount of construction resource that affects the speed of construction of buildings)
- you can build all buildings faster, and if your fief was captured and ravaged, then after you return it, you can rebuild it faster
3. Militia (increases militia growth rate)
- the main free power of protecting your fief, the more the better
4. Gold Bank (increases the limit of gold that is collected in the town shop every 10 days by default)
- this is most important IMHO, especially in the late game, to sell trophies, for the maintenance of large troops and large garrisons, paying tribute, to buy good weapons and armor, and get a lot of money to "charm" enemy nobles

In the video, you can see how the bank is filled with gold in 10 days by default (this is the average time limit)
Yes, it will be faster if the noble and the army will enter your town and make purchases - but it is in this video that I show how the bank is filled by default, without nobles.

Now about the MAIN thing, why these "Serfdom" and "Road Tolls" policy are a AI global prosperity problem:
According to my observations, AI adopts these policies within 10 years after the start of the game (some faster, some longer) - but one way or another, ALL kingdoms accept these policies.
Then why is it bad? And why is this a problem? Because these two policies make -1.2 prosperity.
As a result, practically all fiefs of all kingdoms are in poverty.
When the AI captures a fief, it usually ruins it, as a result, the fief loses a lot of prosperity and buildings - and the recovery of the fief becomes very long time. "Serfdom" and "Road Tolls" policy make it even worse, and prevent the fiefs from recovering faster, because the ruined fiefs has low security and loyalty - and this creates an endless cycle of poverty.

You can say that this is a problem for the AI kingdoms, but I will say that no, this is a problem for the player. Why?
Because for a good game, the player needs money, need the possibility of constant turnover of trading goods and items. But you won't be able to have a lot of money if each town on the map has low prosperity and the shop bank contains 10k gold.
While AI doesn't need money, AI takes money out of thin air. Therefore, the AI does not value prosperity and is ready to ravage the town for 1000 gold and lose a lot of prosperity.

btw, when you play for another kingdom, you can get a fief, in which there will be zero prosperity, because of this fief cannot be built - some players have already written about this
->
As you can see in the video, here is a list of the fiefs that my kingdom owns. I did not accept "Serfdom" and "Road Tolls" policies (my nobles wanted, all the time, but I had lots of influence and I did not allow). Those towns that I captured have a lot of prosperity, because I was merciful - but the towns that my clans have taken are of low prosperity because they ravaged them. You also need to take into account that this territory of my kingdom is NOT raided and is NOT sieged - this is important.

In second video, you can see the changes in the list of prosperity towns that have occurred in the one year (after adoption "Serfdom" and at the time of adoption "Road Tolls"). You can see that the cities that I conquered are either growing or not losing prosperity. but the fiefs that my clans have taken in poverty, prosperity fell.

In the third video you can see how the situation has changed after 3 years "Serfdom" and after 2 years "Road Tolls".
The fiefs that I captured are still growing. But the fiefs that my clans have taken are still in poverty.

I repeat - the territory of my kingdom is NOT raided and is NOT sieged - this is important. Because if fiefs were subjected to constant raids and sieges, then the situation would be even worse, even terrible.

And so, as a result:
Last 15 years, all kingdoms have adopted "Serfdom" and "Road Tolls" policies - their fiefs were constantly raided and sieged, and they didn't grow, minimum building recovery rate. The maximum amount of gold in the towns is usually 10k-20k gold by default.
The situation is similar in towns that are in a war zone (when they are constantly raided and sieged).

Exceptions only with towns that are deep in the rear of all kingdoms, like:
Vlandia: Ostican, Pravend, Galend, Jaculan, Ocs Hall
Aserai: Sanala, Askar, Qasira, Iyakis, Hubyar
Khuzaits: Ortongard, Chaikand, Akkalat, Odokh
Sturgia: Sibir, Varnovapol, Balgard
All imperial fiefs are constantly exposed to attacks, raids, sieges - they are all in constant crisis (sometimes there are exceptions).

Summarizing:
AI makes the wrong decisions in politics - they are not far-sighted. Because any policy in the hands of AI that minuses prosperity, in the long term, leads almost all towns on the map to poverty.
Logical conclusion - AI is blunt.
Paranoid conclusion - the developers did this on purpose to make Calradia a beggar, to make it harder for the player to make money.
In any case, one gets the impression that Calradia is a world of silly logic - because all kingdoms want to be beggars, they all barbarians without culture and ambition for development.
I do not want to offend devs, but I have such an impression that prosperity is of no interest to ANYONE.

How to fix this - is to prevent AI from adopting policies that kill prosperity. Or change the policy so that prosperity is balanced. In any case, you need to work on this issue, IMHO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry for my bad English, this is not my native language

Last edited:
Serfdom's already dealt with.

Examined situation and I will remove -1 prosperity effect of that policy and security (+1) and militia (-1) effects will only effect towns not castles. Policies are not yet balanced and clans select policies without an intelligent system currently, they do not evaluate what are positives and negatives of these policies. This can be annoying.

Food is the most important stat. You should play on the beta build for more relevant feedback on this stuff, playing in older versions and you're having issues that have already been adjusted.

Food is the most important stat. You should play on the beta build for more relevant feedback on this stuff, playing in older versions and you're having issues that have already been adjusted.

Out of curiosity can you continue an old campaign if you change betas? My current campaign is 1.5.10, if I 'upgrade' to 1.6.0 can I continue the campaign or need to start again?

Out of curiosity can you continue an old campaign if you change betas? My current campaign is 1.5.10, if I 'upgrade' to 1.6.0 can I continue the campaign or need to start again?
Yes it is fully compatible.
I'm playing 2 campaigns started on 1.5.6 version.
According you are not using any mods ofc...

It should be fine. There can be unkown problems of course, but I haven't seen people bring them up. The main problem people have is if they are using mods and the mods aren't updated for the beta or new version.

I would use save as if you can and make an extra save before you continue on the beta version, just in case there is a problem, so you could roll back if you really wanted to.

It should be fine. There can be unkown problems of course, but I haven't seen people bring them up. The main problem people have is if they are using mods and the mods aren't updated for the beta or new version.

I would use save as if you can and make an extra save before you continue on the beta version, just in case there is a problem, so you could roll back if you really wanted to.
Good advice.
It is better to make a back-up save before starting playing with last branch.

Good post. Thanks for detailed explanation. As @murtega stated effects of serfdom will change.

Currently there is no policy selecting AI. So clans select policies nearly random and selected policies will not be removed. If I can find time I will deal it. Not guarenteed.

Good post. Thanks for detailed explanation. As @murtega stated effects of serfdom will change.

Currently there is no policy selecting AI. So clans select policies nearly random and selected policies will not be removed. If I can find time I will deal it. Not guarenteed.
thanks for the answer
the purpose of this post was that AI has a problem with not understanding the importance of prosperity
it will be good if you find time to deal with it :wink:

But what about the other side of the coin where good prosperity causes starvation and loss of loyalty? Maybe it's better the AI be poor than having all their territories rebel because they can't micromanage to prevent it?

But what about the other side of the coin where good prosperity causes starvation and loss of loyalty? Maybe it's better the AI be poor than having all their territories rebel because they can't micromanage to prevent it?
if there is a fuse that will turn off the growth of prosperity if food runs out - then there will be no problem

Back
Top Bottom