About horses

Users who are viewing this thread

If you are going to buff horses to realistic levels, you should make some penalties against full horses armies, to overcome the steamroll of knights that occur on most of the campaigns. Horses eat food too, they can forage it, but that means slower speeds of travel. Also proportions between infantry and cavalry aren't balanced to make a change like that. The ranks of infantry aren't massed enough to realistic levels, neither the speed/damage of horses, I think it's a good compromise for balance.

Moreover, horses at realistic speeds means more damage at falling, enough damage to make you unconscious if you fall into a rock or something.

Also horses are used like freaking hovercrafts, they don't get scared at pain, they react everytime.

I know that armored horses (knights) were one of the most effective units in the early medieval era, but armies weren't made of full knights for a reason. From what I know, knights were used mostly when the enemy was unorganized, or to exploit some type of breakthrough made in a pikemen or in an infantry wall. Dismounted knights weren't uncommon too. And the Mount and Blade name isn't a valid argument, because if we follow that logic, we should only play in calradia with khergits or swadians.

NacroxNicke said:
If you are going to buff horses to realistic levels, you should make some penalties against full horses armies, to overcome the steamroll of knights that occur on most of the campaigns. Horses eat food too, they can forage it, but that means slower speeds of travel. Also proportions between infantry and cavalry aren't balanced to make a change like that. The ranks of infantry aren't massed enough to realistic levels, neither the speed/damage of horses, I think it's a good compromise for balance.

Moreover, horses at realistic speeds means more damage at falling, enough damage to make you unconscious if you fall into a rock or something.

Also horses are used like freaking hovercrafts, they don't get scared at pain, they react everytime.

I know that armored horses (knights) were one of the most effective units in the early medieval era, but armies weren't made of full knights for a reason. From what I know, knights were used mostly when the enemy was unorganized, or to exploit some type of breakthrough made in a pikemen or in an infantry wall. Dismounted knights weren't uncommon too. And the Mount and Blade name isn't a valid argument, because if we follow that logic, we should only play in calradia with khergits or swadians.

Well said, I agree.

A late replay to what is written above : the heavy cavalry was used to crush the enemy lines not to chase enemies already routed that's the particularity of the medieval warfair . the organised phalanx of hoplites was no more mainly for political and cultural reasons which i don't have to explain here. the battles of Crecy and Ajincour were the exception and not the rule (in this case the terrain maid the deference). What really happened was that the heavy cavalry remained dominant on the battlefield until the Swiss managed to recreate the pickman phalanx at the late medieval and early Renaissance. the heavy cavalry wasn't a bunch of farmers who had just had a horse to ride they had to train their whole life and good appropriate horses costed a fortune. In the other hand an infantry unit that could potentially stop a heavy charge had to train TOGETHER for a whole life to be effective. Not everyone who had a fork could stop a warhorse that easily ... That's way I think horses are somewhat too weak in this magnificent mod ... It seams tho that I rapresent  a minority ...  :cry:

Why don't you use these then http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,260247.0.html ?

To increase charge dmg and fall dmg, just open your module.ini (the file is in the modules folder of the mod) with any text editor like notepad and look for fall dmg multiplier and charge dmg multiplier, above and below the couched lance multiplier, and change both of those value. I've set them to 3.0 both and if you're charged by a horse in full charge now you'll get a good amount of dmg. A weakly armored target will most likely get knocked unconscious if a horse charges and hits him at full speed. If you try to jump down walls or if you are dehorsed you'll also take a good amount of dmg then.

oroboros said:
Why don't you use these then http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,260247.0.html ?

To increase charge dmg and fall dmg, just open your module.ini (the file is in the modules folder of the mod) with any text editor like notepad and look for fall dmg multiplier and charge dmg multiplier, above and below the couched lance multiplier, and change both of those value. I've set them to 3.0 both and if you're charged by a horse in full charge now you'll get a good amount of dmg. A weakly armored target will most likely get knocked unconscious if a horse charges and hits him at full speed. If you try to jump down walls or if you are dehorsed you'll also take a good amount of dmg then.
I' m a total ignorant.. I don't dare interfear because i might mess thinks up without being able to fix them... btw i had some strange GRL reports or something regarding western Muslim dress , armor and troops in western Muslim factions wen i did nothing so I'm afraid even more.. the hole conversation is about historical accuracy mainly... :roll:

Ah ok, if it's only about historical accuracy... But the file itself, with the pimped horses, should only be the itemkinds1.txt, that means you simply replace your itemkinds with the new one, will hardly do some dmg.

Back
Top Bottom