A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR
A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR
Welcome to this After Action Report, or in short: AAR. I couldn't find a special subsection for AARs, so therefor I post it over here.
An AAR is, like the name suggest, a report from a game. It can be written in many different formats, like gameplay (with many in-game screenshots to show what is going on in the game) or narrative (A story written around a game, screenshots are not necessary). It's basically a story based on the game. In this case, it's Mount & Blade: Warband, the single player campaign. I'm trying to find a nice balance between gameplay and narrative, although my initial goal was to just display what was going on in the game.
I started this AAR on the Paradox forum. This is a mirror posting of the original: I asked permission to the admins before doing this. It will take me maybe a few days or weeks, but I intent to synchronise the posting of chapters on both forums. If you can't wait for me to post all finished chapters, you can already start reading over here. After chapter 31 everything is synchronized, and there's a true mirror posting.
I'm fairly new to the MBW series, so count on me to make a lot of in-game mistakes. But maybe that will make this AAR more interesting. In this spirit I'll play with the option 'save when quit', so there will be no turning back once I totally screw things up. To keep things interesting and fair, I set the the following options:
Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Good
Campaign AI: Good
Combat Speed: Normal
Battle Size: 150
This gives me a difficult rating of 102%. Well, I'll have to see how far I'll get with this.
I started native, without any mods. Later I used the following:
- Since chapter 18 I use the Battle Size Changer to set the maximum battle size to 1000. This raises the difficulty to 203%.
- Since chapter 21 I use the Arena Overhaul mod to make the arena's more interesting.
- Since chapter 27 I use both the More Horses as the More Warhorses mods, to have, like the name says, more types of horses in the game.
- Since chapter 28 I use the Better Banners Mod, along with a custom banner for displaying the true flag of Holland.
- Since chapter 29 I use the Reworked Armors Mini Mod to make some armor more detailed.
- Since chapter 30 I use the Historic Castles Project - the British Isles, in which six castles have been replaced by very good replicas of old British castles.
- Since chapter 32 I use Diplomacy 1.10beta, a mod which gives you not only a wide variety of diplomatic options, but also better ways to manage your kingdom.
- From chapter 33 till 38 I used the Epic Heraldry Mini-mod for Warband 0.65, in which the troops wear the banners of their lords on their cloths and shields.
- Since chapter 35 I use the More Metal Sound Mod V2.1, where the battle sounds are enriched with more metal sounds.
- Since chapter 39 I updated the game to version 1.125, and updated all the mods along with it.
- Since chapter 42 I replaced the town signs with King Floris signs.
- Since Chapter 47 I updated the game to version 1.127, updated the mods along with it, and added the following ones too:
* Faction Arms Coloured v1.0 A minimod where the black and transparent faction arms are coloured.
* Magus Mod v1.7 Restyles and expands the troop trees.
* The Chocolate Box v1.01 Adds a total of 61 new items to the game.
* Utrehd's Castle Pack v.0.32 Quite some castles and cities have been replaced by new models. Unfortunately the download url didn't work anymore, so I took these from El Arte de la Guerra v1.6.
* Utrehd's Music Pack v.0.8 Adds a lot of new and cool music to the game.
* OSP Warband Item Variants v1.6 Adds a total of 529 new items to the game.
- Since chapter 48 I updated the game to version 1.131, and I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack instead of the other mods. Of course still with the Battle Sizer active.
- Since chapter 49 I updated the game to version 1.134, and I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack version 2.3.
- Since chapter 51 I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack version 2.4.
- Since chapter 56 I didn't use the game anymore (I lost the modded game, unfortunately), and just wrote the story.
Here is a list with chapters:
Introduction, 3 March 1257
Chapter 1: The merchant, 25 March 1257
Chapter 2: The criminal, 30 March 1257
Chapter 3: The letter, 12 April 1257
Chapter 4: World trade tour, 5 May 1257
Chapter 5: The feast, 20 May 1257
Chapter 6: The spy, 26 June 1257
Count of Swadia
Chapter 7: Peace?, 11 July 1257
Chapter 8: Caravans and a maiden, 1 August 1257
Chapter 9: Relations with Dhirim, 24 August 1257
Chapter 10: Cattle and Caravan, 10 September 1257
Chapter 11: The Rhodoks War, 26 September 1257
Chapter 12: People come and go, 1 November 1257
Chapter 13: A claim has been made, 30 November 1257
Chapter 14: Defensive and offensive, 15 December 1257
Chapter 15: Halmar under attack, 1 January 1258
Chapter 16: Matheld and the wool, 26 January 1258
Margrave of Swadia
Chapter 17: Building support, 1 March 1258
Chapter 18: The sieges, 3 April 1258
Chapter 19: Looking for my companions, 26 April 1258
Chapter 20: Swadia burning, 9 July 1258
Chapter 21: Floris' harem, 21 July 1258
Chapter 22: Sungetche castle, 17 August 1258
King of Holland
War with Swadia
Chapter 23: Vassals wanted, 19 September 1258
Chapter 24: Breaking the enemy, 8 October 1258
War with the Vaegirs
Chapter 25: War and love, 14 November 1258
Chapter 26: The wedding, 21 November 1258
Chapter 27: Join my side, 28 December 1258
Chapter 28: The last of the Vaegirs, 24 January 1259
Chapter 29: Peacefull trading, 20 March 1259
Chapter 30: Fiefs and lords, 16 April 1259
War with Swadia
Chapter 31: End of Swadia, 19 May 1259
Chapter 32: Bureaucratic revolution, 10 June 1259
War with the Khergit
Chapter 33: The feast of war, 14 July 1259
Chapter 34: Expansion, 23 July 1259
Chapter 35: I want Radoghir castle, 19 August 1259
Chapter 36: The feasts of Khudan, 10 November 1259
Chapter 37: Blitzkrieg, 15 November 1259
Chapter 38: For pork and chicken, 25 November 1259
Chapter 39: The last march, 2 December 1259
Chapter 40: Mr. Smith, 10 December 1259
Chapter 41: Industrial Revolution, 12 April 1260
Chapter 42: Meet the Masters, 31 May 1260
Chapter 43: A forebode to war, 8 June 1260
War with the Nord
Chapter 44: Conquering a peninsula, 11 June 1260
Chapter 45: The face of war changed, 14 June 1260
Chapter 46: Last remnants of the army, 20 June 1260
Chapter 47: Change during the truce, 9 July 1260
Chapter 48: Hakim's peace, 15 September 1260
Chapter 49: Dreams made of snow, 27 December 1260
Chapter 50: Hakim's move, 13 March 1261
The day the world changed
Chapter 51: The training fields, 26 November 1263, 5 AM
Chapter 52: The mystery of the women, 26 November 1263, 7 AM
Chapter 53: Impending crisis, 26 November 1263, almost noon
Chapter 54: The speech, 26 November 1263, 2 PM
Chapter 55: Ride to the Rhodoks, 26 November 1263, 9 PM
The final countdown
Chapter 56: The gathering storm, 5 December 1263
Chapter 57: A deserted kingdom, 12 December 1263
Chapter 58: Conquest of Yalen, 14 December 1263
Chapter 59: Downfall, 15 December 1263
Chapter 60: Rebirth, 16 December 1263
Epilogue, 3 March 1264
Maps of Calradia (On the Paradox forum), by Monnikje
Tutorial on old mapmaking (On the Paradox forum), by Monnikje
How to Make your own custom Flag (separate thread), by Alexspeed
M&B LibrAARy, by Monnikje
Faction Arms Coloured, by Monnikje
Floris Mod Pack, by Monnikje
AARs inspired by this one
Redaln of Veré, by Archevious
Sveta Avdotya, by artifex
Dr. Robert - Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Black Death, by Bobsama
The Journey of Illyis Kryr, by Captain_Insano
Edmundus, by Count Edmundus
The Saga of Kelrathus, by Demonwolf
Kellen's Personal Log, by Ikaguia
The Tale of Dragar, by JTDC
By the Lust of Men, by karviteri
Erick, Pagan Bane, by lancecor
The Harrowing Tale of a Wandering Knight-in-Training, by LastCypher
Warriv, by Mixedpotatoes
Doctor Hypolodeas and his failed expiditon, by Mrr.Phil
Evangeline, Nation-Breaker, by Ogrecorps
Me, Wroden, by Sammyboy
Arinbjorn, the Nord warrior, by Ssgt. Griggs
Bjorn Redcliff. A Viking warrior, by Titan357
The Lonely Life of a Hardy Footsoldier, by Zorr
Winner of the third quarter 2010 ACA, open category.
Character writer of the week on 24 September 2011.