A Treatise on the Folly of Melee FF

Users who are viewing this thread

ScientiaExcelsa

Master Knight
Recently, the melee FF setting, in its various incarnations, has become very popular with the Warband community, and nearly every server uses them.  I’m sorry to say, I despise it.  Now, the reason I am posting this in the Guildhall and not as a beta suggestion is because I’m quite happy to have a choice of which setting I wish to play on.  (At least in theory, because right now the only servers without melee FF are DM and the like, where I seldom venture.  But that’s another issue for another thread)

My main concern with melee FF is that so many people are fans of it.  It’s become the “pro” setting; all the cool kids are playing this way!  I feel completely the opposite about it, and I’m here to present an argument on why other settings are better.
First of all, any replies that read to the effect of “you’re just not good enough to handle it” will be ignored.  That’s total debate-fail and not worthy of my time.  I will also ignore huge quote-posts in which the poster inserts little comments to surgically nitpick at my posts.  Not only is that annoying, it’s bad form and unnecessary to good debate.

The big problem with melee FF is that, for various reasons, it’s deconstructive in nature.  There are all the issues of griefing, for one thing.  Also, it tends to put restrictions on how well players are able to fight in a group and work together.  Accidentally killing or being killed by an ally causes frustration and rage, and can sap the fun right out of the game on a bad day.  Even under the assumption that melee FF brings any good to gameplay at all, (which I dispute) you cannot deny the problematic side-effects.

There are two main arguments for melee FF, both of which I frankly find ridiculous.  First, proponents argue that it is realistic.  While I concede that friendly casualties did happen in actual warfare, I still find it completely unrealistic in-game.  In the event that you are striking at an enemy and an ally jumps in your way, you are more likely to stay your hand or redirect your blow.  This, I feel, is approximated in gameplay much better by attacks merely bouncing off of teammates, something which can be done much better with the new physics system.

The second argument I constantly hear regurgitated is that melee FF “stops people from zerg-rushing/mindlessly spamming/nord-hordeing”, thereby creating more strategic gameplay.  I don’t see how anyone can deny that melee FF doesn’t have a certain negative effect on team play, first of all, especially group tactics.  Secondly, that argument implies that “zerging” was the be-all and end-all of gameplay to begin with, which certainly is not true.  There were always ways of countering that sort of tactic, such as flanking maneuvers and setting up crossfire with ranged troops.

In the hypothetical event of a 4v1 combat scenario (sans melee FF), there are several options left open to the outnumbered player.  He’s gotta be able to outmaneuver the other guys, primarily, and his survival hinges on how well he can dance.  That was my favorite part of old-school melee.  As long as he keeps himself on the move, only one or two enemies can engage him at the same time.  They will often act carelessly, and a good player will know how to choose the right moments to counter-attack.  Occasionally the player will emerge victorious, feeling like a hero and beaming ear-to-ear.  With melee FF, it’s rare to see 4 players daring enough to attack an outnumbered opponent, because often they’ll just kill each other off in the process.  Therefore I argue that while in some ways melee FF can create an interesting depth to combat on an individual basis, it hurts combat at a team-wide perspective.  Good players can even maneuver enemies into each other and actively cause a TK.  That takes skill, sure, but it’s frustrating to the victims and far less rewarding than prevailing against the odds “honestly”. 

Now, if despite my arguments you still feel that melee FF is a “necessary evil” that punishes spamming in groups, please ask yourself a question.  Does not the improved physics system provide a way to achieve the same effect without the negative side effects?  If you can’t swing through an ally, you can’t just spam mindlessly.  In fact, that gives the outnumbered player a window of opportunity, allowing him to punish the spammer.  And if that’s not enough, why not throw in a short stun effect for FF in place of damage?  (I intend to make a thread suggesting just that, if nobody has beat me to the punch)  Thereby, spamming is punished, negative effects of FF are removed, and combat depth both old and new is combined.

I don’t see what further arguments can be dredged up for melee FF, honestly.  Please enlighten me as to why I’m mistaken, why melee FF is the best thing since sliced bread.  Debate on.

Griefers aren't a large problem (at least in the servers I have been playing in) and are nothing a quit votekick/ban cannot fix.

To your assertion that any sensible soldier would simply stay their hand if their friend were to jump in the way of their strike, the current situation with shields is just that--the game just assumes that any shield wielder will block all frontal attacks, thus removing any requirement of focus or skilled use of shield coverage by the player. It also makes archery a lost cause when fighting someone with a shield. The community has taken notice of this disturbing phenomena, and sentiment is nearly unanimous that the player should have to be conscious of where he is putting his shield, and that this disconnection of the player from his in-game self is a detriment to gameplay. Why then, should the player just think, "Oh, my friend jumped in front of me, I'll just keep swinging. Surely my digital self will pick up the slack." Your friend's untimely death would normally teach him to give you space, thus allowing you to get more attacks in.

I like that you aren't throwing out an ultimatum of "Melee FF is bad, remove it completely." Currently, it is a server option (as you know) and can be changed via the in-game admin panel. The choice is there, but most people like it and most people aren't griefers.

In any case, I think it's the "pro setting" because the upper echelon of players should be able to coordinate themselves effectively enough that it doesn't hinder their effectiveness in combat at all. I've noticed among the nK players when we're talking in vent that we usually keep out of each others way and can corner opponents without any blue-on-blue incidents. Accidents happen sometimes, but they happen in real life too. You might argue that you can pull back your attack and stop it from doing any harm to your teammate who suddenly sprang in front of you, but I don't think that's the case. You wouldn't be swinging if you thought your mates were in the way, so you're going to town with all the force you can muster. You're swinging and trying to kill, then suddenly your mate jumps up and you don't have time to react.

Truth be told, your mate shouldn't be jumping in front of fast-moving sharp objects anyways. They deserve it because clearly they lack survival instincts and are going to get themselves killed soon anyways.

As for griefing, that can be handled by admins or votes. It's only a serious problem with an admin isn't present and there's more than one griefer so polls don't get passed.

Uhm, I do respect your points.. But maybe its just me or is it easy enough NOT to hit your teammates? I mean I am sure people have seen me running around with a great long axe (On the days I feel like being an *******) and I have a very wide all over the place fighting style as it is, yet I stick to the overheads and thrusts and I almost never hit teammates. All it takes is a little bit more skill and control over your attack directions, though I realize a lot of people have trouble with this and are accustomed to spamming the left click button. If your teammate is on the left of you, swing from the right.. It really isn't that difficult imo.

Stick to the overheads and thrusts to avoid tking, Scipio. Just give it a shot if you haven't, I know its simple but some people still haven't realized that that is what they need to do.

And as far as the whole "pro" thing goes.. I really don't know about that.. I mean I guess it is more difficult, but imo it is just more fun and thats why I like it, not because its "pro" or the cool thing to do. I am cool enough already  :cool:

You do make some great points, it is very true that as you say, if weapons "bounced off" of team mates it would solve the issue of spamming in groups rather well. Personally I am of the opinion that this should at least be the case whenever there is not melee FF. As for your other arguments it is undeniable that it enables griefing on a much grander scale than without it, nor deniable that being killed by allies causes grief and rage. In your hypothetical 4v1 scenario you also raise a good point I never saw that happen before, in that situation everyone would zone in like a homing missile eager for the kill. Now as you say many are often too scared to join the gang rape, but this is not a bad thing in and of itself and personally I find the need for a more co-ordinated effort a nice change. If I was in that situation in real life I should imagine I would attempt to manouvre myself in such a way to try and cause a "TK" so I do not find it a problem that good players do so. When used properly I do think it can enhance gameplay.

As for realism I am with you 100% (depending on the settings) I really do not find it realistic that people would just hack into their team mates. This is why I have been an advocate of sub 50% melee FF damage.  I think this provides many of the advantages but also greatly limits the disadvantages. It can cause low damage and stun your allies I find this more realistic because it would represent when you go to swing at the opponent but realise your going to hit an ally and so avoid putting full strength into the blow. Now I know you used an example where in reality you would realise and pull out completely (so as to make the "bouncing off" an adequate simulation) however we also have all the necessary game mechanics to do it ourselves. A right click cancels any attack, should you not do so or should you attempt to but be too late I think minor damage and stun is a good penalty. As Orion said accidents sometimes happen, the operative word being sometimes. This is also part of why I disagree with 100% melee FF as this makes it so every time there is a potential accident it always happens.

Ultimately though we only got melee FF in the euro servers relatively recently so I do not yet feel qualified to make a real judgement on whether or not it is a good thing. However a good point to remember (originally made by Bersker Pride I think) is that melee FF started as a bug and was only made a feature through popular demand, as such the game is not designed with it in mind at all, as evidenced by the massive "street clearing" side swings. Also I do not really see the point of it for casual gaming(grief and rage), it is in my opinion fit for more "serious" play only, pro or not. I do not think Taleworlds should allow all of the public servers to be set to melee FF nor even the majority. It would be bad for the beta test and bad for players such as yourself.

I agree that 50% melee FF is a good compromise. With that "off-angle" hits on friendlies;
which happen if an ally is behind or at your side, outside of your field of view, will rarely do damage.

While I think melee FF is a good thing for the more sophisticated game modes like F&D and battle,
I also think there should be no melee ff servers for the more "arcade"-like gamemodes like team-dm.
New players can learn the basics and generally have a good time there then without getting flamed,
kicked, banned to hell when accidently hitting a teammate.

Urist said:
I agree that 50% melee FF is a good compromise. With that "off-angle" hits on friendlies;
which happen if an ally is behind or at your side, outside of your field of view, will rarely do damage.

While I think melee FF is a good thing for the more sophisticated game modes like F&D and battle,
I also think there should be no melee ff servers for the more "arcade"-like gamemodes like team-dm.
New players can learn the basics and generally have a good time there then without getting flamed,
kicked, banned to hell when accidently hitting a teammate.
Actually melee ff is far more frustating in battle and f&d.  In team deathmatch you lose some weapons and crappy armor when you get killed by an ally.  In the non-respawn modes you sit for five minutes.

I'm afraid the off-angle hits still do too much damage.  You can still easily kill an opponent with a high-powered weapon at the very beginning of your swing.  Even with servers at 50% ff a two-hander is still capable of murdering an ally or at best taking almost all his health.  And remember after a certain point in your swing you can't recall an attack or even slow it down.  I mentioned that it would be nice if the block button slowed down an attack after the cancel point.  Combat moves at a very fast pace and allies move into your way half-way through your swing a lot.

Basically its ok to have a melee ff server but right now that is all full servers.  Battle as the most played US server(and often the only full server should not be the one).  IMHO the default for most servers in order to not frustrate new players should be 1% damage.  At that setting if you strike an ally you will stumble him.  In the middle of a fight with an opponent missing your target AND stumbling your ally is enough to get yourself or your ally killed.
'

Good thing about Melee FF is that people are slowly learning to play with it 'On' and I'm quite optimistic about the feature's future. However the main problem I have with it, excluding the % discussion all together, is the group attacking against fewer players. Yesterday when playing FnD there were several 1vs4, 1vs5 situations where the single player had too much advantage due to unrealistic reasons. The attackers had to watchout for their teammates constantly while the single enemy could trick them or just back off or attack when one of the attackers is unaware. It took a minute or two to get rid off few turtles this way, even though people tried to kick them and whatnot.. It just isn't realistic. Killing one player with you and your three/four friends shouldn't be that hard. I have done this myself when confronting a group all alone, I hit few opponents few times but they hit each other 3-5 times during the fight because I went trough the group and tried to trick them to hit each other and it worked..

It would be cool if we could enter into a different attacking mode if the players are in a group. Like how you can switch from throwing weapons into melee with 'X', you could alter the way and angles your attacks go by pressing some other button which would reduce the possibility of hitting your own teammates, which still is unrealistic. You wouldn't do that in real life.

Actually in my thread I suggested that you would be able to change "stances" with the push of a button.  Idea came from reapy originally.  The two stances would be "aggressive", which is all the same attacks as there is now, and "close-quarters" or "conservative".  In conservative stance the horizontal left and right strikes would be diagonal attacks that for the most part struck out forwards.  These diagonals would look very similar to some of the german sword schools attacks from very high on the shoulder.  These attacks would be designed to NOT strike beside you.  They would lack the raw arc of the big horizontals but would have good forward range, possibly more range than the standard horizontal.  These attacks would be blocked by the left right blocks respectively.

Because you are right about it being too hard for groups to fight one guy.  As long as he keeps backing up nobody can get behind him.  And it is near impossible for two players to attack one with the 360 degree swings without hitting each other.  Their outnumbered foe has no such problem.

Worst problem with FF is for those of us who have notifications turned off. When FF is on I have no idea if the guy I just headshotted was on my team or not.
Admittedly, since I can't be kicked or banned I don't really care either :razz:

Scientia Excelsa said:
My main concern with melee FF is that so many people are fans of it.  It’s become the “pro” setting; all the cool kids are playing this way!  I feel completely the opposite about it, and I’m here to present an argument on why other settings are better.

Well, part of the reason it seems popular is that those who dislike it (like myself) are sitting out beta-testing until it is removed.

Archonsod said:
Worst problem with FF is for those of us who have notifications turned off. When FF is on I have no idea if the guy I just headshotted was on my team or not.
what a **** haha xD

Khalid ibn Walid said:
Scientia Excelsa said:

Well, part of the reason it seems popular is that those who dislike it (like myself) are sitting out beta-testing until it is removed.
This is the catch here.  While supporters of melee ff may like it they will still actually bother playing the game with melee ff off.  But the reverse is not so true.  People who hate it hate it a lot and will just say **** it and play another game.  Something that divisive is not the best idea for the small beta community.  Certainly take melee ff off of some of the servers and put them at 1% until the game built for melee ff to work properly.  Currently the only way for almost half your deaths to not be from allies is to avoid your teammates like the plauge.  You'll do better alone anyway. 

I’m still a proponent of FF, although given the game’s beta status and all of its glorious lag, clipping, general bugs and glitches it is becoming a challenge to remain so, but as these beta issues are resolved I’m sure the more unpleasant concerns of FF will diminish. :neutral:

Archonsod said:
*wipes away a tear of laughter*
Total ****ing win!
:lol:

Wow, too many responses to reply to!  Thanks for the polite nature of your responses.  I'm fine with the majority of the community being in favor of FF, but it would be nice if the admins could keep in mind that there are a considerable number of testers that dislike it.  We would like server choices besides TDM.  Perhaps the FnD server could be set to regular settings?

Khalid ibn Walid said:
Scientia Excelsa said:

You're not the only one, and that divisive effect of the FF should be even more incentive for the admins to give us normal servers.  The server populations have dropped a lot, and I propose that melee FF has a lot to do with that.  Personally, I love the game too much to sit out, even though the FF settings frustrate me personally.  And they don't frustrate me because I haven't acclimated to them or because I don't score well anymore, which is the condescending comeback I usually get.  :roll:  The reason is because I feel robbed of the depth that combat had before.  I've grown accustomed to the "new" gameplay, but it's far less rewarding for me and far too gamey.

I agree with the opening post.  My main complaints against melee FF are the following:
1.  Its unrealistic.  Ingame, you have preset swiping animations that hit a certain range, so even if you clip an ally with the tip of your sword you still teamkill/get teamkilled (if reflective is on).  In real life, you have far more control over the range of your attacks and can avoid much (not all) of this.  This is one of my biggest complaints against melee FF as it is currently.

2.  It stifles teamwork.  So many times I have hung back from my ally or not followed a group of people because I don't want to get teamkilled/teamkill.  Due to the above complaint, its very easy to do so.  Sometimes I find myself up against several enemies who end up teamkilling eachother while trying to attack me.  This is somewhat good at the moment, since it means I survive, but totally unrealistic and is bad for gameplay.  The latest patch was supposed to keep swings from going through corpses (which is another problem; you both swing at the same time and your blow goes through the dead body and teamkills), but it doesn't seem to work so well atm.

3.  Its just not fun.  I really don't enjoy playing infantry much anymore because of melee FF.  It just saps the enjoyment out of the game.  Several times I have quit playing because melee combat with full FF is just a frustrating experience.

I think there is a very simple solution to this problem that fixes all these issues and also keeps the spam and griefing down.  Scale FF down to 50% or less.  This is more realistic, keeps teamwork, and is still fun.  Its a no-brainer, and the devs added it to the latest patch, so I don't know why it isn't used much.  I think one of the Euro servers has scaled down FF, but afaik no US ones do.

50% or less?  I don't know why we aren't all playing on 1%!  That setting comes with a stun, so it's the same effect but nobody dies at the hands of themselves or their teammates.  It's the perfect compromise.  People still prefer high settings, though, for some bizarre reason.  That sort of gameplay is unrewarding even when I'm successful.  It was an amusing bug at first, but now it's a destructive feature.  Taleworlds created a monster.  :sad:

I think FF is certainly the "pro" mode. Why? Because it leads to frustration. I never actually get frustrated in Warband except for times when I'm TKed or TK in a FF server. The clear advantage to the single player facing many foes is also too drastic (all discussion of skill aside, that's just how it happens).
I think Stun over Damage could be an interesting option.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
3.  Its just not fun.  I really don't enjoy playing infantry much anymore because of melee FF.  It just saps the enjoyment out of the game.  Several times I have quit playing because melee combat with full FF is just a frustrating experience.
Indeed.

We disagree on the point that that sort of frustration is a good thing.  I like the frustration of failure that drives me to become better, but the frustration caused by an ally -- seen or unseen -- jumping into my swing is purely destructive in nature.  It's irritation and rage, not disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom