MP A Super Armor mechanic similar to what's found in fighting games

Users who are viewing this thread

flashn00b

Sergeant at Arms
Because I really don't wanna see this game be killed by the incessant spamming of archers, I think i will make a thread suggesting that there should be specific mechanics in place to discourage the stacking of archers on one team in the hopes of low-effort wins. To this end, I will suggest one mechanic I think might seem a little too gamey for a game grounded in realism, but we also need to remember that we are talking about a game where melee and ranged units are fighting side by side (ideally as equals).

Super Armor
Only available if you're on horseback, and even then, will only trigger in certain conditions
  • During the initial wind-up animation OR in the middle of a melee attack (this does not include simply holding down the mouse button), ranged attacks will not cause you to flinch. You will still take full damage from the attack and you can still die even when super armor is triggered
  • Lances now have a new stat to them attached to the Couchable Lance stance called Super Armor, indicating the maximum number of ranged attacks it takes for the stance to be broken. This value slowly regenerates over time, but will regenerate by 0.4 from kills with any weapon (killing with the lance itself adds an extra 0.3 points of super armor to your couched lance)
  • Throwing spears and all melee attacks will unconditionally go through Super Armor.
Ideally, such a mechanic will make the bodyshotting of horsemen much more punishable, thus forcing archers to either land headshots to ensure a killing blow, or pick up a spear in the hopes of forcing the enemy cavalry to dismount and fight on foot.

Back
Top Bottom