SP - Battles & Sieges A suggestion for more precise control of formation sizes and depth

Users who are viewing this thread

I recently had a battle where I wanted to have my infantry form a circle around the archers, but the default depth of this formation was a single soldier. When I tried to (edit: NOT spread) tighten them up a bit by clicking and dragging, you practically have to span the breadth of the battlefield to make the formation change in any way, so my formation failed. My suggestion is just provide and option to increase or decrease the depth of a formation through the orders menu.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the addition of the "click & drag" function for formations is a good tool that broadens the player's tactical options. I like it and I am happy with it.

That said, the "click & drag" function should have been built on top of the discarded spacing buttons that appeared in the 2016-2017 demos... that's how I understand it.

Here is the "old" command bar where the spacing button (which replaced the Warband spread out/stand closer commands) appears next to a " pacing" command (see F5 button) which the players never got to try out along with the former.

mjhI3.png
BzEno.png
Jxah9.png
TxZiS.png

Pc Gamer 2016 ----------------------- E3 2016 Siege ----------- E3 2017 Cavalry Sergeant -- e.1.6.0 - mid 2021

It's really a pity to see all these things being discarded one after another, I don't know if it's because of the already known and inevitable adaptation for the console port or with the perspective of a part of the devs which assumes that the player would be too overwhelmed "with so much micromanagement"...

I've said it over and over again... for players who don't want to get their heads wrapped up in giving orders they will always have the option of the classic F1-F3 + the new addition of the F6. On the other hand, for more experienced players or those who have enjoyed previous M&B, there is a lack of options or those are not enough satisfying (imho).

----
Edit:
To take a closer look, these are the tactical options we had in the last Viking Conquest:

Sin-titulo-1.jpg

Surprising, isn't it? :iamamoron: ?

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the clicking and dragging a lot. I feel like it makes it much easier in a lot of ways to control formations. However, it doesn't seem to work properly with the "tighter" formations, like circle or square. So maybe just an adjustment to those two is necessary?

In my opinion, the addition of the "click & drag" function for formations is a good tool that broadens the player's tactical options. I like it and I am happy with it.

That said, the "click & drag" function should have been built on top of the discarded spacing buttons that appeared in the 2016-2017 demos... that's how I understand it.

Here is the "old" command bar where the spacing button (which replaced the Warband spread out/stand closer commands) appears next to a " pacing" command (see F5 button) which the players never got to try out along with the former.

mjhI3.png
BzEno.png
Jxah9.png
TxZiS.png

Pc Gamer 2016 ----------------------- E3 2016 Siege ----------- E3 2017 Cavalry Sergeant -- e.1.6.0 - mid 2021

It's really a pity to see all these things being discarded one after another, I don't know if it's because of the already known and inevitable adaptation for the console port or with the perspective of a part of the devs which assumes that the player would be too overwhelmed "with so much micromanagement"...

I've said it over and over again... for players who don't want to get their heads wrapped up in giving orders they will always have the option of the classic F1-F3 + the new addition of the F6. On the other hand, for more experienced players or those who have enjoyed previous M&B, there is a lack of options or those are not enough satisfying (imho).

----
Edit:
To take a closer look, these are the tactical options we had in the last Viking Conquest:

Sin-titulo-1.jpg

Surprising, isn't it? :iamamoron: ?

I am always surprisingly sad about these comparisons. The images and videos you offer speak for themselves.
Is Bannerlord really a "sequel" to the franchise? If you remove the graphics, it's very difficult to say yes...

I am always surprisingly sad about these comparisons. The images and videos you offer speak for themselves.
Is Bannerlord really a "sequel" to the franchise? If you remove the graphics, it's very difficult to say yes...
Ehhhhh, I really like the battles in Bannerlord, more than warband. Like, clicking and dragging out formations still works absolute wonders compared to pressing F2-F3 or F2-F4 over and over. It was only in this very specific circumstance where I really noticed it lacking. Also, technically it's a prequel.

In fact, it might actually be worse than what I had thought, because the last time I tried to click and drag it out, it actually defaulted to the most compact it could be, which might actually mean it's a bug. So yeah, circle and square need a little work I think. They can often work wonders in battles when they do work though.

Back
Top Bottom