A Sketch a day until release of Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Howdy all.

I was posting these on the Bannerlord reddit and I was told I should post them here as well. I'm doing a Bannerlord sketch every day until it releases. I'm on day 2. I will consider this post successful if it eases the wait for Bannerlord for even 1 person. It's certainly helping me to pass the time more patiently.

From Day 1:
"Like many I've been anxiously awaiting the early access release of Bannerlord - though I haven't been waiting as long as many, I discovered warband about 4 months ago. Since I learned how close it is until Bannerlord releases, I've been checking this thread daily for even the slightest new information or point of interest. I've appreciated those who have added here. As the countdown continues I decided I would contribute, I'm going to add a Bannerlord sketch every day until the 31st - even if it's just a doodle. For my first painting I chose the Ulfhednar. I think they are really cool. They remind me of those guys in the 13th warrior. As soon as I can I'm going to amass an army of them. "

5g6oegiqqqk41.png

From Day 2:
"
Sketch 2: Archer - I've always liked archers and I default to that play-style unless I make a conscious effort to branch out. I guess my logic is if you can hurt your enemy before they even reach you then you have a great advantage.
"
4wwytsqu6xk41.png

Sketch 3: Knight. Busy day today, wasn't sure I was going to have time for this one. Excited to try these guys out, but I suspect I'll be mostly on the receiving end of them.

gcc58m89s5l41.png

Sketch 4: Heir - Who will your son become? Will he be the spitting image of his father, treading the same familiar paths? Or will he travel an unknown road, building a legacy from nothing?

6tsf6vbnmbl41.png

Sketch 5: Horse - The first time I stood next to a horse, I understood why a mounted soldier charging your ranks would be such a powerful and fearsome force. I believe the israelites were warned against 'multiplying horses' because of the power that brings - and subsequent temptation for war.

yorqryh32kl41.png

Sketch 6: Mounted Warrior - Will Battania's seeming lack of a powerful specialization make them an ideal choice for versatility? Or will they lack troops with the dependability to prevail at high stakes?

g8rlkqiwmpl41.png

Sketch 7: Legionary - Advance, and hold the line.

j79pfky5mxl41.png

Sketch 8: Peasant - Where will your lineage have it's beginnings? Will you align yourself with noble blood? Or will the charms of an unknown beauty call you away from the battlefield?

2uyj9bx2v3m41.png

Sketch 9: Camel Cavalry - Because it's Thursday

yk7gedt3y9m41.png

Sketch 11: Cataphract - It would have been faster just to paint a tank.

mjqmq2he9pm41.png

Definitely not a Sketch 14: Raise your banner in less than 2 weeks

rurvtjw2lgn41.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your efforts, man! It really is appreciated! Everything that helps us pass the time is welcome. And your drawings are very cool!

you draw great, I love them !! Are they digital drawings? What brush do you use?

They are digital, I only used 3 brushes for these. A brush that I call calligraphy, it's just a round brush that is squished a little. A soft airbrush, and a smudge brush that just smears paint.

Awesome! I would prefer them to be 16:9 tho, for wallpaper reasons :grin:

Someone on the reddit suggested I do a big group image at the end since I'll have give or take 27 figures, I'll do that one wide format. Also I might do some other scenes that aren't figures between now and then. Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for your efforts, man! It really is appreciated! Everything that helps us pass the time is welcome. And your drawings are very cool!

Speaking of passing the time, over on the reddit there is a lively debate about whether or not an archer would be shooting the arrow on the right side of the bow. Now let me first say, that when doing this illustration, I knew nothing about archery and I arbitrarily placed the arrow. But it's been neat to learn how much there is to archery. Someone posted this video that addresses what I guess is a commonly held belief - that not only do archers now and historically not shoot from the inside of the bow, but it's impossible to do. There's even a sub category of that that says, yes you can shoot from the right side, but only with thumb grip, not 3 finger. A couple of cool videos have been posted in response to this by other users much more educated than I. If anyone is interested here they are:

Either way, I'll certainly be more informed in any future archery illustrations.

Nice, wish I could sketch well. I can only 3D model well.. and characters/cloths are not my strong suit. I can make shields and swords and buildings well though!

Nice, wish I could sketch well. I can only 3D model well.. and characters/cloths are not my strong suit. I can make shields and swords and buildings well though!

With the automated image generation computers are capable of these days, I'll be obsolete by the end of...this sentence. But we will need good 3d modelers for a while me thinks. Until 3d printers enter their next phase which I guess is becoming self aware and scanning things on their own.

Wow,awesome.

About archery. I'm not a pro - just did some sport archery in the past with modern bows (with something on the bow for the arrow not to fall).
I've rewatched your pic after reading your second post and it makes sense for the arrow to drop with how your archer is leaning.
When he would release the string the shaft should support the arrow if it was on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom