A shield is a shield all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

If is a necessity of a technique to hit shield users, that mean ths hit a shield user, even with it's shield innactive is harder...

And i trying to avoid choosing the crossbowmen with its big shield in the back thinking that the shield would protect it !

BUT if a shiel is a shield, it must hinder you when is pierced by an javelin, or throwing axe...

Valec SKylien said:
The problem is that you can attack and actively block with a shield at the same time in real life.  It is silly that you only block when not attacking and swing only when not blocking with a shield.  This is also the power of a shield & weapon compared to a two handed weapon.  However, unless you invent a very complicated special game controller and provide some very complicated code- you can't do both.

I am trained in western-medieval martial arts, and I agree with you.  It bugs me about the game how you can't fight from behind your shield.  Too bad they didn't have different stances, or patterns of fighting, which you could apply by assigning your character that stance before you engage your enemy.  Within said stance, there are patterns of attack and defense you could do.  How you could defend and attack from behind your shield, what parts of your body exposed, would play against what your opponent's stance would be.  For example, say you have stance b, and you're trying to take head shots with your sword while keeping your body defended from behind your shield.  The problem is, is that with stance b, your head is exposed itself.  Your opponent is in stance e, which is a great defense against stance b, and he does a low swing, behind your shield, getting you in the ribs.  I don't know.  It would be a lot of coding.  It was more a dream-like idea. 

I do think, though, that beind able to choose difference stances that affect your left, right, above swing attacks would add more variation to the game. :grin:

I just want to bring up Thief: The Dark Project.  I loved that game, and the sword combat was probably the coolest I'd seen.  Now it's a cross between MaB and T:TDP.  Essentially any piece of armor on your body optimally deflect an attack, so I agree if you are swinging your sword and someone attacks from the side that has the shield it should go 'thwump'.  I don't think it's a process of great and in-depth thought, hit the shield your weapon goes thwump and shield gets an owie.  I read comments about how a shield is ineffective if you aren't bracing it because apparently arrows go through it.  Shy of incorperating an entire ballistic model into the game, I think it's safe to say, hit the shield, weapon goes thwump.  But, on a similar note, if I throw a javelin and it pentrates your shield into your arm, probably gonna feel that.

Although I've been having trouble killing with Jarids recently.  I hit the guy square in the chest and he looks at me like I was joking around.  So I aim a little higher and hit him in the jaw.  And it was awesome.  I really do love this game.

dajarvi said:
I am trained in western-medieval martial arts, and I agree with you.  It bugs me about the game how you can't fight from behind your shield.  Too bad they didn't have different stances, or patterns of fighting, which you could apply by assigning your character that stance before you engage your enemy.  Within said stance, there are patterns of attack and defense you could do.  How you could defend and attack from behind your shield, what parts of your body exposed, would play against what your opponent's stance would be.  For example, say you have stance b, and you're trying to take head shots with your sword while keeping your body defended from behind your shield.  The problem is, is that with stance b, your head is exposed itself.  Your opponent is in stance e, which is a great defense against stance b, and he does a low swing, behind your shield, getting you in the ribs.  I don't know.  It would be a lot of coding.  It was more a dream-like idea. 

I do think, though, that beind able to choose difference stances that affect your left, right, above swing attacks would add more variation to the game. :grin:

that would be all fine and dandy but think of the work you would have to go through just to make the game fights more real! I think that would be a waste of time, it would put to much effort into the one vs one battles, where as sometimes i am fighting 4 guys at a time....interesting idea, but too much code and way to much emphasis, i personally just run in swords swinging and hope I hit the guy coming at me!

Ok I haven't used a shield very much, but when my friend hit it with his axe (wooden) My hand hurt a ton. He also didn't hit me that hard. I was ready too. If you weren't ready you would have some blunt injuries. Although putting this into the game would be hard because you would have to make one arm useless. Although Lord of the Rings had a lot of realistic flaws, when The witch king smashed Arowyn's shield is almost realistic. It would be broken, maybe not shattered into a million pieces, but broken nonetheless.

what's wrong with one button controls shields, the other controls weapon?

you can brace the shield with left mouse(or right) and attack using the opposite button. not hard at all and much better than special ed inability to use both at the same time.

johncage said:
what's wrong with one button controls shields, the other controls weapon?

you can brace the shield with left mouse(or right) and attack using the opposite button. not hard at all and much better than special ed inability to use both at the same time.

I totally agree with you, its very good possible to attack and defence at the same time with a sword and shield.
But imaging you fighting a opponent with a Reinforced heavy board shield, he can attack constanly while you with your 2 hander, first have to break that shield, and then break him.

Everyone would use a sword and shield combination as it is the best, i think we should keep it this way (except the whole point of this topic ofcourse), so that it is more balanced.

I think it will add some more depth into the game if that was possible so I support it

However, the damage could be reduced a bit when blocking and attacking at the same time. And more damage to two handed weapons

Now in reality you can't block and attack at the same time. The shield is in the way. You could move it over some, but you couldn't really block and attack at the same time. Also everything would be fluid. Only using the shield when needed. Although it is really hard to put whats in real life into a game.

With a sword it becomes less easy. Since the main sword attacks are swings (left and right) shield is an obstacle (or it should be imo).

Dunno where you come from, but where I come from, the 'main sword attacks' are thrusts. Stab, stab. But really, it depends on the sword. Most 'modern' straight swords were used for thrusting, and 'modern' curved swords were used for slashing. The classic 'longsword' was a thrusting weapon.

Arrows should ALWAYS be blocked by a shield in-game, 'braced' or no. As for melee attacks, if you're struck and an unbraced shield is in the way, at least reduce the damage.

JonTan said:
Now in reality you can't block and attack at the same time. The shield is in the way. You could move it over some, but you couldn't really block and attack at the same time. Also everything would be fluid. Only using the shield when needed. Although it is really hard to put whats in real life into a game.
How would the shield be in the way? It goes without saying that you do not attack through the shield, but at no point do you not defend with the shield.

Well when you block a blow the shield comes in front. Can you attack with your sword in this position? No you have to move the shield out of the way or move your body. In real life it is a little more fluid than in M&B. I can't think of a really good way to do it unless you could move your shield really fast, and at angles. Also, what happens when you get a bunch of men with shields all close together, and there all swinging. They will all be blocking each other's swings and it will take forever. In M&B NPCs cram together especially in sieges. It would be  really annoying when there is a dude at the side who blocks your blow for the person in front of you with a side swing.

JonTan said:
Well when you block a blow the shield comes in front. Can you attack with your sword in this position? No you have to move the shield out of the way or move your body. In real life it is a little more fluid than in M&B. I can't think of a really good way to do it unless you could move your shield really fast, and at angles. Also, what happens when you get a bunch of men with shields all close together, and there all swinging. They will all be blocking each other's swings and it will take forever. In M&B NPCs cram together especially in sieges. It would be  really annoying when there is a dude at the side who blocks your blow for the person in front of you with a side swing.
The shield comes to block the attack, which may or may not be directly in front of your body. But regardless of where your shield is, you can still attack with your other hand. That's kind of the point with the shield wall: constant shield protection, and you can attack between your and your neighbour's shield. Take the Romans with their scutum, for example. Again, you do not attack through your shield, but your shield is never in the way of your other hand. It may be that your opponent is likewise "protected" by your shield, but that's what footwork is for. There is no need to open yourself up in order to make an attack, and in point of fact many attacks are counterattacks (ie. you block an attack with your shield while attacking with your weapon).

Now, in M&B the shield offers 100% melée coverage to the front, which is unrealistic. And this is also the reason why in M&B you open yourself up when attacking, to balance things out. And it's the best solution until someone can think of something better.

I find that the best way to attack with a large shield is to stab diagonally to your right with a small sword, you won't have to open up a lot, and with a curved shield you are still quite protected. Also, you probably need a good steel helmet. and caligulae.

Back
Top Bottom