SP - Battles & Sieges a series of complaints about horses in Bannerlord (reddit post. not mine. put here for devs to see)

Users who are viewing this thread

D0c1

Knight at Arms
the following is a copy pasted reddit post.
here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandbl...lord/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I always joke that u can tell a dev studio has no girls in it by the character customization menu, but you can tell a studio has no horse girls in it by the way the mounts operate like cars.
riding my steed thru a (short) fence-riddled field during a battle my steed ran into a fence and came to a complete stop, and then bc I no longer had momentum my "jump" button is now a "rear up and stun myself in place for a few seconds" button and the only way to get over the fence is to shift my horse into reverse, back up, then shift it back into first gear like I'm maneuvering my car out of a tricky parking spot. The problem? Horses can jump over a fence from a stand-still. Don't believe me?

also, since we're on the subject, ur horse should automatically jump over short obstacles while running at a high speed; horses won't let you ram them headfirst into a wall, and more importantly they do so without any command, they just do it on their own as-needed to keep going where ur telling them to go. Also, ur mount should automatically turn if it's running into an obstacle it can't jump over at high speed, horses IRL won't let you ram them headfirst into a tree, they know what trees & walls are and will just go around them on their own

also also also, I've been around horses enough to be able to tell you this with first-hand experience; when a 2,000 pound animal whose center of gravity is 5 feet up plows into a human who's 1/10th the weight and has a center of gravity somewhere around the animal's ankle height, the animal is not brought to a stop. The animal is not even slowed down, the human body barely registers as a speed bump. We have as much capacity to bring a horse to a stop using our torso as the toughest blade of grass does to us. Between a horse and a car of equal height moving at the same speed, you'd actually have an easier time stopping the car because its center of gravity is roughly the same as a person's

edit: jumping your horse off a ledge doesn't work right rn. RN if you ride your horse towards a ledge and press the jump button before you reach it, the "start jump" animation during which there's 0 upwards lift takes so long that you'll already be halfway to the ground before your jump begins to apply upward momentum. What it should do is, when you press jump it checks if you're on the ground and if so goes into the "start jump" animation & state and while in the "jump start" state if you move forward off of a ledge & are no longer touching the ground (or, "if moving downward at X rate" where X is how fast downward a character moves if the ground under them vanishes) it should set your gravity to 0 until "start jump" is over and you transition into the "is jumping" state with upward moment, to match the fact (as represented in the model & animation) that your horse's back feet are planted on the ground right in front of the ledge where you hit jump even if the rest of the body is over the ledge. This doesn't come up in open field battles but I just rode my horse into a castle siege and then went to do a long-jump from a 5 foot high ledge to leap over a low fence below the ledge and my didn't make it, when riding a horse at full-speed and leaping off a ledge should give you massive horizontal distance. Pretty understandable oversight, pretty easy fix

also also also, I've been around horses enough to be able to tell you this with first-hand experience; when a 2,000 pound animal whose center of gravity is 5 feet up plows into a human who's 1/10th the weight and has a center of gravity somewhere around the animal's ankle height, the animal is not brought to a stop.

I've never seen a horse stopped by hitting a footman in Bannerlord, so I'm not sure what they are complaining about. The only time my horse has stopped is hitting an actual obstacle or being reared by a thrust.

Horses get stopped in bannerlord when ploughing through groups of footmen.

But yea, I would like for the horses to behave more line an animal too. The only thing addedf rom warband is the nifty side step the horse does when coming to a halt and turning. More like that please!

Back
Top Bottom