A Role Playing World like no other... (Questions for a potential modder))

Users who are viewing this thread

There have been two mods that I have really enjoyed and wanted to find a way to integrate them with one another. The Persistent World Mod, and the cRPG Mod. I curious if anyone skilled with modding knows if this can be done. More importantly, an even larger daunting task, I am curious if it is at all possible with the game engine they've provided us, to create multiplayer instanced in one large world. Like for instance, having many different boards (such as the interior of a castle) (The exterior) Much like you would in singleplayer, accessible by a script in multiplayer? I'm hoping to be able to create a map like Persistent world mod... only make it much more computer hardware friendly by way of instancing certain maps and zones. Can it be done? Even if it took a lot of hard work? The plan is is to create a massive RP Community, much like LFRP for San Andreas... a server with a strict RP Rule set enforced. Let me know if this is possible folks and if I should even bother looking into it further.

1.  Technically, this is possible, kind of.

2.  You'd have to run multiple server instances, and do data interchange via a PHP script to track the player locations / stuff / xp / etc., so that they could warp from one instance to another via a gate or somesuch.

3.  It would be a real beast to code it, and it would take a heck of a server to run it.

I'd be willing to fund a daunting task to get something like this up on its feet (Server costs, etc.) Though once it did get on its feet, donations would be most welcome to keep the server going... I just don't have the technical know how to get something like this started. :/

You have a similar dream that I have, that these mods could be merged to make a truly persistent roleplaying world. I have no python experience, but it seems very possible to do to a limit. If you wanted mutiple maps on multiple servers, which would be more difficult to work with but would allow you to leave the details of each separate area vast and interesting.  I don't think you can forward servers to players, so they would have to manually change to the server where they are IC, or you could make gates that would upload the location to the PHP sever and only allow the player to join (with his stuff, because I don't think you can just kick him) the location where they are IC.

I have attempted to start a serious roleplay community in Persistent World, and I think you might be interested: Here

I do not have any python experience, as stated before but I do have lots of technical knowledge involving server, and database handling and management and administration experience. I'd be willing to help you, as I am trying to learn python among other things, but until then I think a strictly enforced roleplaying environment for Persistent World is the best bet of getting this of the ground. PM me if you are considerably interested in actually doing this.

Back
Top Bottom