A Question of the Era

Users who are viewing this thread

Inzunza

Sergeant
I was trying to look all over Google for a straight answer, but that was a no go.  But then I remembered, "Hey, there are a bunch of folk who absolutely love this era and do extensive studies whenever possible!  Perhaps one of them could answer my question."

That being said, I'm trying to figure out, on average, how many men were in each line infantry, light infantry, and cavalry regiment during the Napoleonic Wars for countries like Britain, France, Spain, Austria (heard they had more than usual), etc.  Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.  ^^

the french had ussually 800 men in the infantry batallions.
in waterloo battle, they had a lot less due to casualties.
the average there was about 500-550 men.

the british infantry battalions were (i may be wrong) more diverse.
they could have bigger battalions consisting of over 1000 men.
but in waterllo the average was 600-650.

i think that there was no difference between infantry and light infantry
in terms of numbers. equal numbers for light-regular, at least for the french.

interesting topic, i'm curious too!

Some info on the British army:

Organization of Infantry.
In March 1806 the strength of the British infantry
was approx. 160,000 men.
  In March 1806 the strength of the infantry was approx. 160,000 men , including the "prestigious King's  German Legion." (Haythorntwaite - "Wellington's Infantry (1)" p 11) In this number were included field units, depots, and garrisons.  By 1815 there were 104 infantry regiments, numbered strictly in accordance with seniority - the date of formation. Infantry regiment was not a tactical unit, it was an administrative formation that never took the field.
The strength of infantry regiment varied. At the breakdown of the Peace of Amiens (1803) virtually all regiments had only 1 battalion. But very soon it changed.  For example in 1809 :
  - the elite 60th Foot, the Royal Americans (actually they were mostly Germans), armed with rifles,
had 5,000 men in 7 battalions
- the 1st Foot, the Royal Scots, had 4,900 men in 4 battalions
- the 1st Foot Guards had 4,600 men in 3 battalions
- the 42nd Foot (later known as Black Watch) had 2,000 men in 2 battalions
- the 88th Foot, the Devil's Own, had 2,000 men (mostly Irishmen) in 2 battalions
- the 101st Foot had 900 men in 1 battalion
- the 103rd Foot only 500 men in 1 battalion. 
Wellington's infantry in Autumn 1813 in Spain:
1st Division (Gen. Howard) - 3,700 men in 4 Guard btns. and 3,200 men in 5 KGL btns.
2nd Division (Gen. Stewart) - 5,800 men in 9 btns. and 2,700 men in 5 Portuguese btns.
3rd Division (Gen. Colville) - 5,000 men in 8 btns. and 2,500 men in 5 Portuguese btns.
4th Division (Gen. Cole) - 4,000 men in 7 btns. and 2,500 men in 5 Portuguese btns.
5th Division (Gen. Hay) - 3,000 men in 6 btns. and 1,500 men in 5 Portuguese btns.
6th Division (Gen. Clinton) - 4,700 men in 7 btns. and 2,000 men in 5 Portuguese btns.
7th Division (Gen. Le Cor) - 3,500 men in 7 btns. and 2,500 men in  5 Portuguese btns.
Light Division (Gen. von Alten) - 3,300 men in 5 btns. and 1,600 men in 4 Portuguese btns.
Division (Gen. Hamilton) - 5,000 men in 9 Portuguese btns.

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm#britishinfantryorganization

Well, that was interesting.
Also  Inzunza, if you find yourself with a lot of questions on history, Taleworlds does in fact have a board and a thread for that. You may wish to know that, if you didn't already  :wink:

Vraelomon said:
Well, that was interesting.
Also  Inzunza, if you find yourself with a lot of questions on history, Taleworlds does in fact have a board and a thread for that. You may wish to know that, if you didn't already  :wink:

Well...  Now I know.  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom