A Question about the vassel names.

Users who are viewing this thread

swordking123

Recruit
Why is there a guy named Mushir al-malik al-kamel naser al-din abu-ma'ali huhammed? Why is his name so long and what does it mean?! There are a few factions with incredibly long names. I couldn't find anything (granted I only searched for 20 mins or so) that would give a reason for those names and what they mean. I don't know a lot about how each part of Europe named their vassals but I really need to know the basics like if their are a baron or a duke (well, their versions of them anyway)
Also, for the holy roman empire, the wiki shows that marquees is higher than margrave/landgrave, but I just joined them and got the marquees rank.

I need like a list of the vassal names and their meanings.

Answer is simply because that is the real name of that person. Muslims of the era (at least nobles) tended to have absurdly long full names and thats it.

Albeit it could be simply named Al Kamil for convenience. Especially as it was exactly what peoples were doing back then. al-Malik al-Adil Nur ad-Din Abu al-Qasim Mahmud Ibn Imad ad-Din Zengi was called simply Nur ad-Din (or Nuredin) while his father Imad ad-Din Atabeg Zengi al-Malik al-Mansur was called simply Zenki.*

Not even Arabians at the time used full nomenclature outside documents so there is no reason to use them in the game.
But, as mod seems to be dead, this will probably remain so.

A note: there is a difference between a Arabic noble name and a Christian. Some European nobles (especially in South Europe) also maintained (and continue to do so) tradition of stupendously long names (like Pedro de Alcantara Joao Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocadio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga), but Arabic nobles usually were born with relatively short names and expanded them through the lifetime, adding honorific titles (like always popular al-Mansur "the Victorious"

swordking123 said:
Why is there a guy named Mushir al-malik al-kamel naser al-din abu-ma'ali huhammed? Why is his name so long and what does it mean?! There are a few factions with incredibly long names. I couldn't find anything (granted I only searched for 20 mins or so) that would give a reason for those names and what they mean. I don't know a lot about how each part of Europe named their vassals but I really need to know the basics like if their are a baron or a duke (well, their versions of them anyway)
Also, for the holy roman empire, the wiki shows that marquees is higher than margrave/landgrave, but I just joined them and got the marquees rank.

I need like a list of the vassal names and their meanings.

Appreciate the interest, but these guys are real, historical people, we didn't make them up, their names are real names. You can find them on Wikipedia!

But as for the one you mentioned:

Mushir al-malik al-kamel naser al-din abu-ma'ali Muhammed

Arab names have different parts that get added as time goes by. For instance, "abu-" means "father of". Abu Ma'ali means "the father of Ma'ali". An Arab could be known among his relatives and friends as "the Father of Yusuf", his firstborn son, or maybe the son that makes him the most proud.

Al-Malik just means "the King". It can be a surname today, but it was an epypthet back in the day. Just like there are Americans called "King", there are Arabs called "Malik". This doesn't mean they come from a dynasty of kings, it can mean that at some point an ancestor of theirs was proud or arrogant, or was the leader of something or someplace, or simply it could be a corruption of some other name over the centuries.

Nasir, "helper" or "he who brings victory", is followed by "ad-Din", "the Religion", so this means "He who brings forth victory for Islam".

Al-Kamil (the name this guy is best known for, by the way) means "the Perfect One". Muslim rulers were not shy on self-glorification. Al-Kamil's father, Al-Adil, was known as Sayph ad-Din, "Sword of the Religion", and his brother, the famous Saladin, was Salah ad-Din, "Light of the Religion". These were just names they adopted of that others bestowed upon them. Saladin's birth name was Yusuf bin Ayyub, "Joseph son of Job". His brother Al-Adil's birth name was Ahmed (I think).

Dulgakhor said:
Answer is simply because that is the real name of that person. Muslims of the era (at least nobles) tended to have absurdly long full names and thats it.

Albeit it could be simply named Al Kamil for convenience. Especially as it was exactly what peoples were doing back then. al-Malik al-Adil Nur ad-Din Abu al-Qasim Mahmud Ibn Imad ad-Din Zengi was called simply Nur ad-Din (or Nuredin) while his father Imad ad-Din Atabeg Zengi al-Malik al-Mansur was called simply Zenki.*

Not even Arabians at the time used full nomenclature outside documents so there is no reason to use them in the game.
But, as mod seems to be dead, this will probably remain so.

A note: there is a difference between a Arabic noble name and a Christian. Some European nobles (especially in South Europe) also maintained (and continue to do so) tradition of stupendously long names (like Pedro de Alcantara Joao Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocadio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga), but Arabic nobles usually were born with relatively short names and expanded them through the lifetime, adding honorific titles (like always popular al-Mansur "the Victorious"

Good answer!

It's never been clear to me who calls him which names (kind of how Chinese or Japanese people have different names for different people and different forms of adress depending on who are they talking to at work or within their family). Salah ad-Din was the way people knew him, but was there someone who knew him as Yusuf, besides his father and brother? Did he identify himself as Yusuf? Same for all the rest.

I hope this helped a bit. Non-western names can be very confusing. Take a look at Chinese high rank names, like the name of an Emperor. They have a name for when they're born, another one for then they come of age, another one for when they get degrees or official positions, another one for when they are enthroned, and maybe even another one for after they're dead. Oh, and it was treason to have the same name as the Emperor, since it's considered bad luck, and keeping the same name as the Emperor could be seen as actively trying to bring on bad luck to the Emperor.

I find onomastics absolutely fascinating.

Is there a suitable, non-Western word for 'captain'?
Almohads and Banu Ghaniyans have a lot of Captains, and I have always found it weird, in game.

Back
Top Bottom