A pure role play deviation of PW would include; (For the dreamers)

Users who are viewing this thread

More realism? How about becoming cleaning the **** from your pants after some random Pole mows down a buddy of yours? How about being required to sleep? Dying without food and water? Getting tired if you exercise too much?

A fear system would be interesting but that would mean i couldnt flail around like a helicopter with my greatsword and go 10-0, it is not that I wish to remove combat from this mod I wish combat to be a secondary thing instead of the primary as it is now. This mods purpose would be to RP and to fight when it occurs in the RP and not to RP so you can fight.

At last! Realistic PW!

Serfing time has been increased to 10000%, finally giving you that realistic touch.

When you join the game, you will get a random role, ranging from peasent to knight. Then you will be playing that role for the rest of the game. So yes, complete idiots might be knights while the intellectuals are likely to end up as serfs. Just like in real medieval times!

Finally, you can spend a full 8 hours in a bed, sleeping in order to recover 5% of your health. Doctors from now on will have to fill out a quiz every time they attempt to treat somebody, to test their knowlege of medieval medicine, forcing you to make sure that your doctor is competent.

Dying in combat will result in a 48 hour ban from the server and prohibit you from joining the server with the same name ever again, making combat risky enough for people to avoid it at all costs.

Money will only be used by nobles, in fact, as peasents will only trade goods and be forced to cooperate.

Naturally, training poles are removed, now that everyone automatically gets his role handed to them.

Prepare yourselves for a load of rambling, pretentious BS.

I like the idea of fear. Though the fear would have to be real, as true simulated fear is both hard to achieve and completely obnoxious.

Lets take a step back for a moment and think all those RP moments you remember. How many are sitting around in the corner of some tavern chatting it up about some crap or another? I'd reckon very few, if any. But how many are of when things went awry? When a nude madman with a rusty hatchet bursts through the door, declares himself lord Zeus and attempts to murder everybody in the name of himself. Probably not to often, but similar situations may come to mind.

To put it simply, good RP does not arise from a sterile environment. "The status quo" isn't exiting in the least. But what is exiting is the unexpected. And you know what's the basest emotion being expressed when faced with the unexpected?

Good ol' fear.

Now currently, the way most servers are set up, fear is a nearly impossible. The bureaucratic morass of rules set up absolutely kills any attempt at surprise. Lets use the war rules for example. Currently one has to give warning in global 3 or so times, and wait around a bit until the other guys are ready. Then the fighting may commence. Now I realize why these rules are made. Factions would declare war while standing inside another's castle. That wouldn't be a problem if you didn't let in a bunch of armed men like it would be all handy-dandy. If you were simply incapable of preventing them to enter you castle without permission, then why in hell do you think you deserve a castle? Castles aren't luxury mansions or fancy hotels. They are singularly built for war. If your not gona fight a war, you don't need a castle. Or a keep. Or a fort. Or any other structure built for the sole purpose of making war.

Right, that was a bit of a tangent. Let me try to get back on track here.

The point is, the community has forced itself into a social contract. Everyone thinks that the rules will protect them, that the admins are somehow always going to come to there aid should in trouble. There is no consequences taking for actions because they are under the magical, undeniably perfect reason of "RolePlaying". Nothing surprising is aloud to happen as it's against the rules. Anything interesting is a planned event. A bleached affair with set roles and objectives. Why can't event type things happen during normal play? Oh right! Because it's against the rules.

So bless you Zeus, our nude, hatchet wielding lord of the all, for making the our dull worlds just a little more exiting.

What did I just write?

Actually, just about every single idle conversation I had within a tavern was more entertaining than another melee, because unlike the random melee fight, those chats had more of a unique feeling to them, while all the melee stuff just blended together in my memories into one vague picture of simulated action.

That's fair enough. I was just speaking from personal experience. But hey, different stroke for different folks.

Adelade said:
-A characters skills have to be developed by actual training..

No , never. Hell naw.

All this does is reward those who play more and not those who are actually better. Reward time investment is the lowest form of gaming with EVE online being a prime example.

burghUK said:
Adelade said:

No , never. Hell naw.

All this does is reward those who play more and not those who are actually better. Reward time investment is the lowest form of gaming with EVE online being a prime example.
I was more thinking of being able to purchase skill upgrades for your character to allow multiskilling and unique classes to come into play.

I'm pretty sure such of system would be completely unbalanced and lead to many people only using min/maxed power builds.

Serann said:
As opposed to the absolutely balanced system we have right now?

Never said the current system was well balanced. Just that the one proposed by Adelade would be broken.

zoo889 said:
Adelade, you kinda just listed a few of the things Warband RP includes.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Adelade said:
-An agreed upon set of roleplay rules. (Such as dungeons and dragons)

All the ideas you listed are neat except these two. Adding character advancement through skills and experience makes it so power gamers will be much more in the forefront.

What do you mean by "Such as dungeons and dragons"? I've never encountered any such rules while playing D&D. Generally the rules show how the technical aspects of the game work. Meaning all the things that our computers do for us in PC games. D&D is of course a roleplaying game, but oddly it has no RP rules... Hm... Wonder how that works out :smile:

It tends to work great because you play the game with a group of friends, and if someone slips up in their RP the rest of the party will corrects them. Such as: "Hey man, remember your character's parents were killed by a dwarf. So you probably wouldn't be the first one of us to trust this random dwarf."

Anyway, enough of me showing my nerdiness. Since PW (and indeed most online rpgs) involve playing with a lot of random different people, you can't realistically achieve the same sort of experience without rules. Because of course the internet hides people and they do whatever they want because there is zero consequence.

Adelade said:
-Names tags only being shown when revealed to you by a person
-A realistic economy that fluctuates by supply and demand.
-A persistent need for food water and rest.
- A realistic wound system that decreases players performances based on the severity of the wound and location and a one life system if the player becomes too wounded (Not saying they cant be knocked out but maybe if they were knocked out too many times without visiting a doctor the character would die)
-An agreed upon set of roleplay rules. (Such as dungeons and dragons)
-Dice rolls for settling matters of powergaming and for split branchlines in roleplay.
-An advanced banking with the option to pay for actual improvements on your castle or the map or to invest your money.
-An advanced faction management system and a persistent map; (IE crpgesque)
-Persistent gear for the same character
-Reducing the need of admins and allowing civil law to be take order (IE you can random but your character will be sentenced to death by the lord whos duty is to protect his people)
-People being able to be set to outlaw by the faction leader they're in and with valid roleplay.
-An agreed upon storyline and history and setting.
-The ability to get a playerwritten description of the player you are looking at upon pressing a key.
-A time system

Please discuss my own ideas or post your own! This is all implying that the hardcoded limitations of warband do not exist.

- It does.
- It does.
- They do.
- It does.
- They do, though not everyone agrees.
- Dice rolls are merely replaced by Warband mechanics (i.e, damage system).
- You can invest your money in other players, hoping to return a profit.
- Advanced faction management can only be done out-of-game, just like cRPG's strategus, and just like PW's forum factions.
- Nexus has a gear saving system
- See no/few rules servers.
- Already exists.
- Generally exists, combination of Warband lore and real medieval society.
- Or you could just look at them.
- Time exists.

tl;dr, everything here already exists. Ironically, the only thing stopping it from happening is people who support more rules, more admins, and more bad scene design choices.

Back
Top Bottom