Suggestion General A Proposal For TaleWorlds to Provide an Open-Source Fork of Module Source Code

Users who are viewing this thread

possibility of stuying it and undertsand how it interacts.
Yes and also being able to clone that same project, change it and build a new dll from that source code without being forced to do reflections and Harmony patches which are quite susceptible to getting messed up when they update something or when multiple mods do multiple patching.

Code itself is basically already open source if you know how to see inside of the dll files - so I don't get the struggle in here. I guess they just don't want to show the whole world how weird and poorly written their architecture is. If they have concerns about "copyright" and don't want to show the code to people who don't own BL, they can simply implement a system with keys and push these files via verification service.

But you see, it all circles back to the last paragraph I said. They don't seem to care what modding community do. As long as people do something - even if that something means spending days on something that could be fixed easily -, it's fine for them. Because they think the modding community is a golden goose. They want 100% gain with 0% effort.
If I was working on Total Conversion mods, I would for sure drop that by now because it doesn't look like they will change anything or make it easier for people. At most, they will remove some internal keywords ( which is literally one day of work at best ) and claim they support modding or increased modding support etc.

I mean, Bannerlord Online came out, from out of nowhere, multiplied the number of active players in native MP, and they didn't even bother to make an explanation or anything. They are just chilling and enjoying the active player surge. Nothing is clear. Custom Servers is a no-go, they shut MrOutOfTime down months ago with childish excuses and now they are even having cold feet for making small changes and creating an easier solution for Total Conversion modders? I call this being stupid. And as I said, if they continue like this, they will enter a point of no return soon. After that no one will care BL anymore, it wouldn't matter even if they give free candy to modders after that. It will be bad. And even though we are on this suggestion, I'm talking about the attitude and "progress" in general. TW should man up

Code itself is basically already open source if you know how to see inside of the dll files -
Exact, so yeah there is no real reasons. I share much of your concerns with TW. I hope they change their way, i'm not sure if it's just development hell or bad management. I personally don't play Bannerlord anymore until i'll see some huge changes, it's like living again the nightmare of GoT season 8 (on a longer time period).

Last edited:
+ I still haven't switched to bannerlord modding due to existing restrictions and lack of dedicated servers. I have enough reverse engineering in Warband.

Not sure why you guys still writing yes, +1 etc while CM clearly said
This idea was rejected at the meeting

I haven't seen any example where TW sees that how much people want something and changes its mind. Feel free to correct me if you have any counterexample.

Inappropriate behavior

I haven't seen any example where TW sees that how much people want something and changes its mind. Feel free to correct me if you have any counterexample.
Yes and also being able to clone that same project, change it and build a new dll from that source code without being forced to do reflections and Harmony patches which are quite susceptible to getting messed up when they update something or when multiple mods do multiple patching.

Code itself is basically already open source if you know how to see inside of the dll files - so I don't get the struggle in here. I guess they just don't want to show the whole world how weird and poorly written their architecture is. If they have concerns about "copyright" and don't want to show the code to people who don't own BL, they can simply implement a system with keys and push these files via verification service.

But you see, it all circles back to the last paragraph I said. They don't seem to care what modding community do. As long as people do something - even if that something means spending days on something that could be fixed easily -, it's fine for them. Because they think the modding community is a golden goose. They want 100% gain with 0% effort.
If I was working on Total Conversion mods, I would for sure drop that by now because it doesn't look like they will change anything or make it easier for people. At most, they will remove some internal keywords ( which is literally one day of work at best ) and claim they support modding or increased modding support etc.

I mean, Bannerlord Online came out, from out of nowhere, multiplied the number of active players in native MP, and they didn't even bother to make an explanation or anything. They are just chilling and enjoying the active player surge. Nothing is clear. Custom Servers is a no-go, they shut MrOutOfTime down months ago with childish excuses and now they are even having cold feet for making small changes and creating an easier solution for Total Conversion modders? I call this being stupid. And as I said, if they continue like this, they will enter a point of no return soon. After that no one will care BL anymore, it wouldn't matter even if they give free candy to modders after that. It will be bad. And even though we are on this suggestion, I'm talking about the attitude and "progress" in general. TW should man up
This guy has made all the good points - the taleworld meetings are <snip> not doing their jobs properly (polite paraphrasing by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I have not seen this either. The only examples are decisions TWs introduces and people hate so they revert back to a prior design. But as far listening to the community in single player and MP, the game would largely be much the same without this forum.

Back
Top Bottom