A New Player's experience of Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Interesting, coz I had battle yesterday and it was completely different. I tried to raid an Aserai caravan composed mainly of archers, cav and horse archer. The enemy AI made the decision to hold the archer and cav while sending the horse archers to harass me in waves. When the HA took damage, the AI would pull it back and regroup before sending them to harass me again. Since I only had infantry and some archers(and I'm still trying to get the hang of the new system), I got destroyed. The point is tho, the combat is very different compared to the looters, sea raiders, steppe raiders, etc, that have I have fought.

That sounds promising, in one of my custom battles i have to admit archers did stay back and fire but it was the blob of infantry that just did the same thing over and over, charge with no strategy even if outnumbered

As for looters being dump, i agree but i also feel they should be much more frightened of professional soldiers such as yourself so taking on more of a defensive role would make better sense

Ok might have to give it a go, are battles in warband different, much longer etc?

Battles are longer in Warband, and you can also adjust the speed of the battle. I hope that feature is implemented by the team as I was fascinated by a 200v200 battle only for it to end faster than I could blink. The game has some shortcomings but so far I'm really enjoying Bannerlords. Now dev teams, please fix the saving issue so I can continue playing (:

As for looters being dump, i agree but i also feel they should be much more frightened of professional soldiers such as yourself so taking on more of a defensive role would make better sense

At a certain point in the game I just let my soldiers automatically handle the battles without me joining. The amount of load screen waiting is a bit overkill for a 100 troop vs 15 looter battle.

Battles are longer in Warband, and you can also adjust the speed of the battle. I hope that feature is implemented by the team as I was fascinated by a 200v200 battle only for it to end faster than I could blink. The game has some shortcomings but so far I'm really enjoying Bannerlords. Now dev teams, please fix the saving issue so I can continue playing (:

I'm fascinated by the option of adjusting the speed of battle? Does that mean the AI just swings and blocks for longer before they get a kill? I suppose that would be an easy fix for now that could be done which could allow me to get stuck in a bit longer lol

I'm fascinated by the option of adjusting the speed of battle? Does that mean the AI just swings and blocks for longer before they get a kill? I suppose that would be an easy fix for now that could be done which could allow me to get stuck in a bit longer lol

It's been a few months since I've played Warband and I barely used that feature, but I believe that it just makes it so troops die quicker. Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

When it comes to speeds, there is combat speed, which controls the speed at which one swings weapons and blocks, as well as movement speed in battle.
There's also combat AI which determines the difficulty of the AI in battle

If you want a great experience within this franchise now, buy Mount&Blade Warband and install Floris Mod. This will give you a great experience. Bannerlord needs much more content to keep up with Warband. It's graphics are great, no doubt about that. If this is important for you. :wink:

Battles are boring if you have good enough soldiers or great numbers. It never changed in Warband and it will most likely not change in Bannerlord. In Bannerlord though you can much more easily be killed by simple mistakes. Everything seems to be a bit more realistic.

I can't agree on "there are more options within battles than in Warband". First of all: there is still a game breaking bug which stops archers from shooting long range. Secondly I miss a lot of options such as contracting or loosening of formations. Not sure if this came with Floris Mod tbh. Try to make a ring of infantry around your archers. You can't because you can not increase the formation size of the ring. So archers and infantry formation blend together, making archers vulnerable to the "outside" of the ring. Just one example...there are many more. I used to loosen my cavalry formation so they cut through enemy archers like butter. Not possible in Bannerlord.

When it comes to speeds, there is combat speed, which controls the speed at which one swings weapons and blocks, as well as movement speed in battle.
There's also combat AI which determines the difficulty of the AI in battle

Combat AI is highest setting, does that affect speed? I don't want to go much lower as 1v1 is still find this quite easy

If you want a great experience within this franchise now, buy Mount&Blade Warband and install Floris Mod. This will give you a great experience. Bannerlord needs much more content to keep up with Warband. It's graphics are great, no doubt about that. If this is important for you. :wink:

Battles are boring if you have good enough soldiers or great numbers. It never changed in Warband and it will most likely not change in Bannerlord. In Bannerlord though you can much more easily be killed by simple mistakes. Everything seems to be a bit more realistic.

I can't agree on "there are more options within battles than in Warband". First of all: there is still a game breaking bug which stops archers from shooting long range. Secondly I miss a lot of options such as contracting or loosening of formations. Not sure if this came with Floris Mod tbh. Try to make a ring of infantry around your archers. You can't because you can not increase the formation size of the ring. So archers and infantry formation blend together, making archers vulnerable to the "outside" of the ring. Just one example...there are many more. I used to loosen my cavalry formation so they cut through enemy archers like butter. Not possible in Bannerlord.

For immersion graphics are quite big to me which is why i also love Bannerlord so would be hard to go to warband lol. All i feel battles need is tactics and longer fight sequences, at the moment there is no tactics from the AI, yes cavalry and archers will act different from infantry etc but having 300 infantry just charge in one blob doesn't make sense especially if they would do better to be in defense. I feel the order options are solely for you, the AI certainly doesn't use them

I played a few battles just there quickly. A siege battle where archers nicely stayed behind defences firing volleys at the enemy however the infantry was forced into a bottleneck at a wall entrance and the battle became one blob where it just started shaking as they were fighting lol. A normal field battle went much better but still the same, archers stayed back pounding the lines of their own forces as their infantry charged at us as usual. The combat is EXTREMELY well done however, all of it, like nothing i have ever played. There is so much potential but alot needs to improve in battles

Seconded on the Floris mod. That's one of the better experiences you can get

graphics are quite big to me
Another game lost to the graphic filter RIP

Seconded on the Floris mod. That's one of the better experiences you can get

Another game lost to the graphic filter RIP

I feel Everyone prefers graphics for immersion even if they don't admit it. The more real the world looks the more we immerse ourselves. Graphics can develop the beauty of the world, mix that up with content and gameplay and you end up with a masterpiece. Kingdom come deliverance or Red Dead Redemption 2 for example

I also see this game has sold millions of copies already doing better than Doom Eternal. This isn't much of a niche franchise as i thought so with this much revenue being generated i'm hoping that translates into more resources on improving this game. They have already released two patches so thats impressive. Now for the significant gameplay improvements especially with battles... If it can be done with this AI

I also see this game has sold millions of copies already doing better than Doom Eternal. This isn't much of a niche franchise as i thought so with this much revenue being generated i'm hoping that translate into more resources on improving this game
Not really how it works unless they expand the company. Look at No Mans Sky, they are still a small team working on their game despite the millions that they made. The progress is slow and steady and the same is happening to Bannerlord. At that rate we'll see features being implemented over a few years for this game too.

TBH: I would give up some graphics and trade against game content/bug fixes. That's my oppinion at that very moment. What I really like are the improvements in combat. In Warband a shield was like an invisible wall in front of every player. Now you can shoot someone in his legs and you can hit weak spots in close combat. That's great. Today I got rekt in a tournament. I used Geforce Shadowplay to check what happened. The AI used a weak spot when I turned right and hit my shoulder. Bad for my character, but great gameplay experience!

Here are 2 small scenes which show how movement and centimeters can make a difference. You can experience this in Warband, but to a much lower extend.

TBH: I would give up some graphics and trade against game content/bug fixes. That's my oppinion at that very moment. What I really like are the improvements in combat. In Warband a shield was like an invisible wall in front of every player. Now you can shoot someone in his legs and you can hit weak spots in close combat. That's great. Today I got rekt in a tournament. I used Geforce Shadowplay to check what happened. The AI used a weak spot when I turned right and hit my shoulder. Bad for my character, but great gameplay experience!

Here are 2 small scenes which show how movement and centimeters can make a difference. You can experience this in Warband, but to a much lower extend.

Agree, the combat in Bannerlord is second to none, the detail is impressive

@Op: Funny ive had Kingdom Come on my HD since Kickstarter days like 3 years ago yet always gave up on the Beta cause i wanted Warband style combat. After getting impatient for BannerLord i finally installed it last week -normally i hate cinematic "Movie" style games/intros but darn if KC doesnt get you riled up for some serious revenge. Its awesome. Id kill to have that level of "Oh im gonna avenge my ****" fired upness that KC delivers. Still in early game but so far loving it. Plus i really enjoyed that first fist fight with the town bully.

@Op: Funny ive had Kingdom Come on my HD since Kickstarter days like 3 years ago yet always gave up on the Beta cause i wanted Warband style combat. After getting impatient for BannerLord i finally installed it last week -normally i hate cinematic "Movie" style games/intros but darn if KC doesnt get you riled up for some serious revenge. Its awesome. Id kill to have that level of "Oh im gonna avenge my ****" fired upness that KC delivers. Still in early game but so far loving it. Plus i really enjoyed that first fist fight with the town bully.

Yea i was the same, when i first started kingdom come i wasn't too impressed but after that fight scene with the town bully i really appreciated it and it went on to be my favorite combat system of all time which bannerlord now shares. KC really immerses you into the medieval world though, no other game is as immersive especially with Every NPC having their own day to day duties which means when they go to bed you can even rob them in their sleep lol. As for bannerlord while expecting so much detail would be crazy as it would take up the developers entire time i would like there to be much more immersive elements to the world. Much more diverse quests in different regions and random ones popping up so you have incentive to travel through settlements looking for work and activities.

We already have tournaments and some quests settlements give out, lets expand on that. I wanted to take on some gangs in a settlement and become the leader of the underworld there however there was no option to do so, perhaps that could be a option in the future. I'd like to run into random people on the road needing help, again it makes the world feel more alive

Back
Top Bottom