A little suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Chricky

Squire
Ok, so I'm guessing you didn't reserach whats towns/cities were in which countries in 1200 because its so big a map.
But Belfast didn't emerge until 1758 :grin: and it didn't even become a city until like 1771

Chricky said:
Ok, so I'm guessing you didn't reserach whats towns/cities were in which countries in 1200 because its so big a map.
But Belfast didn't emerge until 1758 :grin: and it didn't even become a city until like 1771

Really? Strange. I think Belfast is in Britain at War too (maybe not).

We should take a look at wikipedia and see what it says.

Ok, it seems it existed by that time. Look:

The site of Belfast has been occupied since the Bronze Age. The Giant's Ring, a 5000-year-old henge, is located near the city, and the remains of Iron Age hill forts can still be seen in the surrounding hills. Belfast remained a small settlement of little importance during the Middle Ages. John de Courcy built a castle on what is now Castle Street in the city centre in the 12th century, but this was on a lesser scale and not as strategically important as Carrickfergus Castle to the north, which was built by de Courcy in 1177. The O'Neill clan had a presence in the area. In the 14th century, Clan Aedh Buidh, descendants of Hugh O'Neill built Grey Castle at Castlereagh, now in the east of the city.[17] Conn O'Neill also owned land in the area, one remaining link being the Conn's Water river flowing through east Belfast

Chricky said:

We did research the settlements, naturally. But we are not well-learned on every place in Europe. My speciality is Southern and Western Europe, but I know little about the Britih Isles. And remember that this mod is still not finished. If you can help with the settlements and historical accuracy, then we'd be most thankful.

Take care!

Revan Shan said:
Chricky said:

Really? Strange. I think Belfast is in Britain at War too (maybe not).

We should take a look at wikipedia and see what it says.

The site of Belfast has been occupied since the Bronze Age. The Giant's Ring, a 5000-year-old henge, is located near the city, and the remains of Iron Age hill forts can still be seen in the surrounding hills. Belfast remained a small settlement of little importance during the Middle Ages. John de Courcy built a castle on what is now Castle Street in the city centre in the 12th century, but this was on a lesser scale and not as strategically important as Carrickfergus Castle to the north, which was built by de Courcy in 1177. The O'Neill clan had a presence in the area. In the 14th century, Clan Aedh Buidh, descendants of Hugh O'Neill built Grey Castle at Castlereagh, now in the east of the city.[17] Conn O'Neill also owned land in the area, one remaining link being the Conn's Water river flowing through east Belfast

I guess you learn something new everyday :grin:

Revan Shan said:
Chricky said:

This only states that the site of Belfast had been occupied since the bronze age, and not that it was called Belfast at the time. In fact:

The name Belfast is derived from the Irish Béal Feirsde, which was later spelled Béal Feirste. The word Béal means "mouth" while Feirsde/Feirste is plural and refers to a sandbar or ford across a river's mouth.[12][13] The name would thus translate as "mouth (of the) sandbars" or "mouth (of the) fords".[12] These sandbars formed where two rivers met (at what is now Donegall Quay) and flowed into Belfast Lough. This area was the hub around which the settlement developed.[14]

Back
Top Bottom