A lack of immersion and purpose

Have you felt immersed and purposeful in any of your playthroughs?

• Yes, a lot

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Yes, a little

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Kind of

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • No, not so much

Votes: 80 34.9%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 66 28.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord's keep:
-Populate keeps: Bring stewards, lord's children, counselors, high level soldiers who are in your party would rest inside the keep, have drinks, talk with them about current events and bring morale based dialog that would give you an idea on how to improve your party, like a lack of food or drinks or fights.

This right here: Right now there's nothing in the player's keep to engage them in the slightest. Just bone dry. This game doesn't even attempt to brig the player into an immersive medieval setting. Every single big conversion mod I played for M&B was leaps and bounds better.

Some really nice suggestions in this thread, and I would love to see them all included in the game.
As a very minor thing would be nice to have a dialogue option with your wife in the keep like "Lets spend the night together", and first at that point there's a chance she gets pregnant. A super easy way to prevent you getting 20 children and at the same time make it believable that your wife didn't get pregnant by you while in another kingdom.

Also just in general having the town scenes being more active would be quite the upgrade, they don't feel like a living city at all but more like some theme park where you're the special quest and they're all waiting for you to come and interact with them.

While I would love to see a lot of these suggestions (and I'm glad people are talking about it); this is all gravy really. It makes the meal but we need to get the meat and the veg cooked properly first (which I am in high hopes for with all of AVRC's very optimistic comments).

While I would love to see a lot of these suggestions (and I'm glad people are talking about it); this is all gravy really. It makes the meal but we need to get the meat and the veg cooked properly first (which I am in high hopes for with all of AVRC's very optimistic comments).
True, but it's a lot better to have a road map of where you're going before you start driving, rather than figuring it out as you go. The developers should keep options like these in mind while coding, in order to allow them to be added later without ripping out everything and redoing it to fit the new options.

So, from today Diplomacy Fixes is adding the ability to usurp the throne of a kingdom. You can now kick Ragavand out from Sturgia's throne etc and after exactly 733 hours there is finally a new purpose. Something bigger than more autosaves

Masters from Turkey, better thanks modders for doing your job
This sounds very cool and i will try it. Lmao just the slightest innovation brings me back lmao

As a very minor thing would be nice to have a dialogue option with your wife in the keep like "Lets spend the night together", and first at that point there's a chance she gets pregnant. A super easy way to prevent you getting 20 children and at the same time make it believable that your wife didn't get pregnant by you while in another kingdom.

I think that could work really well. Gives the player some agency, adds a bit of RP spice to "relationships", and enables a little control over reproduction. I remember they had a similar system in The Guild 2, where you'd have to initiate procreation with your wife/husband. Worked very well.

I'll contribute with a list of suggestions that I think it can improve the immersion, some of them might be already said by other people or other posts of mine though, and some of them might be too over the top/difficult to make. This list is subject to change or to be expanded in a near future.

Tournaments:
-A town with a tournament becomes more festive, the peasents are aware of the tournament, towns are decorated, etc
-Travelling competitors: Recurring competitors are indeed a thing in this game, it was in warband too. My idea is to expand on them, have them have a personality, you could find them in taverns along his friends or around people admiring them in town. Maybe have one have a special quest, make them create rivalries with the player or other competitors.
-Being recognized: After winning a large amount of tournaments you would be recognized by the commoners and lords, you would win a renown bonus with ladies or marriable characters.
-Bring back dedicating tournaments, even allowing you to dedicate it to lords and kings
-Increase difficulty, give reward to 2nd and 3rd place to balance it. The final fight is against a great warrior you would need to fight well to beat him.

Lord's keep:
-Populate keeps: Bring stewards, lord's children, counselors, high level soldiers who are in your party would rest inside the keep, have drinks, talk with them about current events and bring morale based dialog that would give you an idea on how to improve your party, like a lack of food or drinks or fights.
-Counselors: Instead of having the encyclopedia give you all the knowledge you need without an in game interaction, make talking with people inside the court give you insight into clans, families, and enemies, based obviously on your relation with the lord or kingdom.
-Wife and children: When your son/daughter is born you would find the nest in the keep, with your wife next to it or a maiden taking care of him/her. Your wife gets happy when you visit and gives you a dialog that would improve or rest relation with her (you could be a total **** to her or be nice to her, just to give some character to yourself and your relationship).
-Feasts: I'm going to guess this is a missing feature that is yet to be added, but they're definetly required. Also, make feasts and feast tournaments pop up a quest from here and then. To give an example, in the short book of George RR Martin The Mistery Knight there's a tourney and an enemy of the throne tries to start a rebellion. Events like this can highly improve the experience.
-Allow you to ask the location of the lord to the guards: Instead of finding where a lord is telepathically, you would ask the guards just like in Viking Conquest, its really weird and tedious getting into the encylopedia, finding the person you're looking for and then seek him out, the older way was a lot more engaging and you wouldnt be taken out of control of your character and party to look a wikipedia. I really hate being taken out of control to do this.

Taverns:
-Populate taverns: Taverns are the place of rest not only of common people but of soldiers who are visiting a town. Filling them with already occupied mercenaries who serve other lords would give the impression that people is coming in and out, allowing you to meet interesting characters, like other mercenary companies, mercenary leaders, drunk soldiers, drunk thugs, and tourney competitors, like I've said above.
-Your own party: You can find your own companions in town, which is great, but I would also add part of your party inside the tavern, only that you would find the most common part of your party in it. Talking with them would allow you to improve relation with them, buying them drink, and spending the night with your party getting drunk at cost of renown.
-Fights: In Warband you would find drunken people, I dont know why this isnt a feature here, as I've said, you could find mercenary leaders, for example if one were to pick a fight with you, you could fight him back at cost of renown or relations with the employer lord, same happens if you find soldiers of another party who are making trouble.

Special Companions:
Having random companions allows any lord to have companions without getting into trouble, however, they're very uninteresting and forgettable. Here's what I would like to see in this game
-Companions with a visible backstory: Every faction has 2 o 3 special companions, they live in a specific town, have a specific home/place inside these towns or villages, a wife/husband, children, brothers, etc.
-They require you to complete a quest in order to hire them
-They would talk to you about your decisions, leave your party or require convincing when attacking their own homeland, and request leave or help when their land is in danger (depending on what backstory the character has)
-They have midterm quests, lets say one needed money to help his little brother and joined your party, once he made a good ammount you would need to take him to his land and see him fulfill his quest, allowing you to improve relation with them and therefore improving their stats, or making them give you a gift, like an special legendary sword.
-If they die you would have to take account for their death, for example, you would have to visit his home and pay respects to his wife if you want to, improving renown.

This is all I can write now, I'll write more when I'm inspired, if anyone wants to contribute we could make a special post dedicated to immersion suggestions. Also if anyone writed one of these before please tell me so I can credit you. Thanks all for answering and keeping the post alive, this is very important to me.
This needs to be pinned +1

This needs to be pinned +1
I'm working on a larger post to put it in the suggestion section referring only to immersion. I will finish it when I get home. Anyone who wants to add their own suggestion please PM me and I will add it with credit.

When I play this game I always wonder, what genre it is? Is it an strategy medieval game? Is it a roleplaying game?

Honestly that is the last thing I would ever care about. I think "game genre" destroyed creativity in video games. It boxes the game into check-box features. RPG... you need attributes, levels, skill points, experience points, blah blah blah. Genres is killing games.

The fact that this game doesn't fit neatly into a "genre" is part of why it is a compelling game.

Yes, it needs more immersion. It needs more character development, as in personalities, for the nobles and companions. At present, I get immersion by making my own story in my head. If I just played the game and only took it at face value with none of my own "creative thinking", I can see everyone's point: it is boring. But yet, I bet most of us have already put in 10s to 100s of hours into it already.

Honestly that is the last thing I would ever care about. I think "game genre" destroyed creativity in video games. It boxes the game into check-box features. RPG... you need attributes, levels, skill points, experience points, blah blah blah. Genres is killing games.

This is especially true in the last 10 or so years where most games, even a lot of lower budget titles, are just copies of well worn gameplay loops. Every game with an open world now is basically Skyrim, every RTS is basically AoE or CoH. Taleworlds doesn't have to answer to a bunch of clueless boomer investors so there is no reason whatsoever for them to adhere to genre tropes.

But they certainly want to address them, just because you dont care what genre it is doesnt change the fact Bannerlord is an RPG, it's mixed with strategy but an RPG in the end. Yeah, Assassins Creed and all those games added levels and changing your clothes and the idea of having a "choice" (which is usually choosing between two choices that are good or bad), still Bannerlord is essentially an RPG, you have a role, you become a king, a vassal, a mercenary, a trader, a slave, again you have a role in this world and the game revolves around that idea, the problem is that they let you be that but dont make the world react to it, and THAT is the problem, I understand what you say but it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom