A humble plea from a devoted fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrisianDude

Archduke
Good day to everyone who reads this; I wish you well. If you wonder who 'I' am, then allow me to explain; I'm a fan of Taleworlds. I've posted an ashaming amount of posts on this forum simply because I so thoroughly enjoy it; I always thought of Taleworlds as a group of people who saw that people using colourful language can frequently be much more mature than people who have a phobia of so called 'bad' or 'naughty' language. This quality made me admire Taleworlds even more because years ago  I realized  the simple fact that there is no bad language. No language is naughty. If someone is offended by a word that is entirely their own fault. Entirely their own. Yes, some words are heavily laden with negative connotations, but a mature person must be able to step over that, and every word must be considered on how they are used. Even a so-called naughty word can be used entirely and fully in a respectable and intelligent conversation. About that latter; a lot of it occurs on the Taleworlds forum. Respectable and intelligent converstion by mature people who choose to use colourful language as it brings both character and clarity. Unfortunately, a single recent event has heavily devastated my faith in the beloved team of developers. The swear-filter. I swear quite a lot, both in real life and in my internetsical adventures and the only persons who have ever thought any less of me and my arguments because of those swearwords were, in fact, immature people who could not argue, discuss or converse properly without resorting to petty tries at making themselves seem superior because their language was slightly less uncouth than mine. Not only less uncouth but also not as good as mine, I have to add.
Aside of that, I feel that a language filter will do nothing but decrease the overall quality of the forum.
As another person I respect for their intelligence said;
Dusk Voyager said:
Indeed. Do they get immature because they conclude that bullying is fine or do they conclude it because they're immature?
People who leave the forum because they do not like the language are, in my opinion, in the wrong because they keep holding on to the silly superstition that a word can be bad. People who see a lack of word filter as a free ticket to trolling behaviour are completely not in the right frame of mind to post intellectual conversation, either. They completely miss the fact that a troll will be bollocked a lot more than what happens in the playful banter of those that do understand how to properly use swearwords. Besides that, it is quite possible to troll WITH a word filter, therefore a filter will not prevent any trolling.
Rather, a filter will make people like me who enjoy being able to freely type whatever they want to type in whatever style they deem right to type it in feel bad. Those people will feel as if, no, they will know that Taleworlds does not trust them at all to be mature and intelligent in their typing. I foresee that this will cause some respectable members to leave while less respectable ones take their place.

This can only cause a drop in the quality of the average posts on Taleworlds as some respectable members to post less and less enthusiastic because their old forum buddies are gone and because the freedom to say what they want is taken from them. Any word filter script will therefore lower the friendlyness inherent in this community, and its maturity and its intelligence. These things will flow away as people who are afraid of perfectly acceptable words take the places of more mature members.
As such, I'd like to re-propose an idea; make an optional word filter. I would gladly contribue to it with my most creative swearing just so that people who are afraid of naughty words can simply activate the filter and skip along merrily on their make-believe path of harmony and stilled voices while the people I like a lot better can continue in the lingo I like from them; real language. Using real words, using curses, slurs, swearwords, insults, in a completely unharming manner.

In short;
I would like an optional word filter. Those who do not like bad words can have them censored while people who would leave because they feel as if they're being babied due to the filter can stay and post happily as well.

I would also like to ask for support in this mattter; I would like to know who agrees with me and I hope that Taleworlds will realize that they need not antagonize anyone if they would replace this faulty system of filtering everyone's posts for everyone with a better system that only filters posts for those that want the posts o be filtered.

Yours sincerely, FrisianDude.

Well said,  I agree entirely.

also im kinda in awe of your writing ability,  i'd +rep you if this forum sank low enough to have such a feature :p

ljas92 said:
applaud.gif

You people recognize that this comes from a scene where the man just watched his wife do an AWFUL performance, but he has to clap because if he doesn't it would reflect poorly on him. Using the GIF means you ironically support the above statement.

Bravo.  Fully support this.

I enjoy TaleWorlds, not just for the swearing, but that is a major draw.  Many forums I frequent censor words that are deemed "vulgar".  These forums are centered around a violent game, language shouldn't be a primary worry.  Flaming will still occur.  An optional filter is a good idea.

/Signed

I completely agree, and I will not let this filter stop me from expressing myself with whatever colorful language I find neccesssary to do so. Hell ****_ing Yea.

If we are to somehow convince them to implement an on/off option, it does not help your case to impulsively bypass the filter to only prove the point of your defiance. It can be done much more elegantly and intelligently without the use of those words we are fighting for.

In any case, I support this optional word filter. I will most likely leave, otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom