A General Public Statement: If You Are Not Happy With The Game, Please Take a 'Chill Pill' ..

Users who are viewing this thread

LordOfAll

Recruit
Software Development is an ugly thing.

This is especially true when it is undertaken by many people with teams that are handling segments of the code yet that code must function as a 'whole', yet without one part of the code colliding with another. In the world of software for gaming, the development environment is even worse as all development team 'errors' are out there in public forums and negative comments abound.

I used to develop software for commercial use but I was lucky in that it was customized per individual client. I have worked with software that absolutely HAD to suit MANY end-user scenarios and so had tp please just about everyone. This was a nightmare as decisions were always under constant scrutiny.

IMHO, the devs for 'Bannerlord' are doing it right.

Being 'right' is not always going to make a lot of players 'happy' ... doing the 'right thing' technically is not going to win over a lot of people except those that appreciate what it takes to get it right. The 'right thing' to do for 'Bannerlord' is for the devs to stay focused on their original vision and yet be flexible enough to accommodate valid end-user input. They MUST stand firm in their decisions against tremendous headwinds and not give in to 'the tyranny of the urgent' ... making ill-advised compromises just to please a few.

The recent rumor/decision to revamp the game code is one of those. For millions of lines of code with multiple segments and devs it is unavoidable if the game is to be what it should be. Do you want 'Fallout 76'? BSW did everything wrong, not just technically but also 'socially' by just plain disrespecting and ignoring their customer base. Hell, the bad code in the 'Fallout' series just gets passed from one game to the next with absolutely no attempt to fix it. Truth be told, it is the modding community that has saved 'Fallout' and 'Skyrim'.

Not so with 'Bannerlord'

It is also necessary to remind people that from the get-go this was a 'pre-launch' game. You KNEW this and yes, YOU are playing the role of software QC! This is the methodology that will lead to what the game will finally look like when it 'formally' launches. The goal is to have the feature-sets that are popular and WORKABLE with the user community. Also, when it happens, this game should certainly sell for higher than it is now.

You and I knew all this going in (and I love it!) It feels as though I am contributing to the final product. I cannot fly to Turkey and argue my suggestions in person and even if I could and did, I would still be ignorant about what the game engine could accommodate. The 'forums' are the next best thing. Someone is listening!

'Complaints' about the game need to be formulated and submitted as 'constructive' criticisms but most importantly need to have the context of 'what would you like to see?' i.e. make suggestions. The onus is on YOU to let the developers know your ideas and suggestions for improvement. Unwarranted and vehement criticism is just 'noise' and should be ignored as is proper.

Also, note that the game might not be in the 'phase' of development where your 'criticism' falls. For example, now may not be the 'right time' to address a 'balancing issue' when other aspects surrounding that must come together first.

So, please just take a 'chill pill' and enjoy the game as I am doing, warts, pimples, and all. I find it fun.

When I trained many corporate students as a Microsoft Instructor, my best advice when they would moan and complain ... and even weep ... when the 'labs' didn't work was I told them the best attitude to have is NOT to expect the software to work. This way you are rarely disappointed. When it does work, what a marvelous surprise!

Coming from gaming in the late '80's, 'Bannerlord' is an absolute miracle!

Also, THIS IS JUST A GAME. It is NOT your life. If it IS your life, then you have problems way beyond the scope of the game.

See you on the battlefield!

Last edited:
Very well said. There is definitely a thing I’d call ‘Bannerlord itch’. This game is apparently making many people lunatic, going waaay beyond just being a fan and I wonder why...

Yeah ... I just had to get it all off my chest. Lest anyone think I have a 'halo', I get frustrated with things in the game also but I have yet to throw my mouse at the screen. I just get on the forum and report it. That usually scratches the 'itch'.

While I agree with you in principle, I don't feel much of that applies to this game (unfortunately). I see barely any (I'd say none but I think there are a few) interaction with the community, and I see TW nit-pick at tiny balance changes to economy variables rather than address the real issues.

Also, THIS IS JUST A GAME. It is NOT your life. If it IS your life, then you have problems way beyond the scope of the game.

This attitude is terrible. Obviously it's just a game, but it's also a professionally made product, sold at retail prices. Games are perhaps the only type of product to have such lenient conditions and criteria for success, not to mention being given so many chances to "get it right" (what with how easy patching is to roll out now-a-days).

My replies ...
I repeat myself. And excuse me, but It WAS MADE OBVIOUS at the outset that this game was a 'beta'.... a pre-release .... It is incomplete ... not finished... in development .... what does that mean? it means it will have errors, bugs, stuff that does not work. Can people not read?
"Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development". Learn more

Reserve your criticism for games that go on sale for $60+ and are touted as 'completed' but that still don't work and have multiple issues. Have you never bought an EA (Electronic Arts) game recently?
This is NOT a 'AAA priced game'....not at 39.95. Complete and finished with all planned feature sets it would sell at $70 minimum, and be worth it.

Also, in closing, I have gotten feedback from the devs or surrogates and responses to my suggestions and 'complaints'. Maybe this is because I approach the issues with a constructive attitude.

I stand by my original comments.

Last edited:
My replies ...
I repeat myself. And excuse me, but It WAS MADE OBVIOUS at the outset that this game was a 'beta'.... a pre-release .... It is incomplete ... not finished... in development .... what does that mean? it means it will have errors, bugs, stuff that does not work. Can people not read?

The problem I see is Taleworlds' mediocre communication with the fanbase and vague roadmap, missing many highly requested features. The current state of the game is what it is, but if Taleworlds can't/won't improve it, or at least communicate, that is a problem.

This is NOT a 'AAA priced game'....not at 39.95. Complete and finished with all planned feature sets it would sell at $70 minimum, and be worth it.

But it´s 49,99€ again when the Steam sale is over in 36 hours. 39,99€ is not the normal price. The normal AAA price range (without deluxe editions and stuff like this) is from 49,99€ - 59,99€.

The normal EA access range is most of the time something between 10€-25€, even for good games like Factorio, Rimworld other games in this category.

Horizons Zero Dawn is at 49,99€ in the Epic store without discount as another example, and that´s a very very good AAA game and it´s a new release for the PC plattform. Will come out in August.

But most new AAA release are 59,99 I give you that. But 59,99€ isn´t that far away from 49,99€ and we are talking about the full release not EA and that´s also makes a difference because you get a finished product.

Last edited:
Oh look another one.
Not reading that blog dude you're the 100th person to post this junk. Looking through your post history seems you actually complain quite a lot yourself.
Of course I'm sure your wishes and concerns are better then other people's and you post are better too.
1. No don't take chill pills! Chill-grass is okay but no pills!
2. People can say what they want, it's just text. If it violates rules they get banned.
3. I doesn't matter what people say or do, they all bought it already and they can un-buy it!
PBF193-Fun_Bot.gif

"Of course I'm sure your wishes and concerns are better then other people's and you post are better too."
By Jove, I think AnadaShanti the Knight gets it!
P.S. The cartoon is awesome! Yes, my kids would send me that!

Maximum997: Yes, there is not much to do in the game as far as 'plot' or such and challenges/scenarios. Hopefully that will come after the basic game mechanics are stabilized.

Most Blunted: I won't really argue about the price too much. it is your hard earned money. My only point was that some games that are truly junk cost a lot more. Now 'Far Sky' was a fraud upon release but thankfully it got much better and now is worth the price. They redeemed themselves. I never buy EA or ActiVision or the 'new' Blizzard and Bethesda is a major disappointment.The jury is still out for Tale Worlds Bannerlord, so I am hopefully optimistic.

I suspect when M&B was first released it was probably like BL , buggy, lack of features, etc etc .but at least BL battles are superb ! smooth and very life like. Checkout battles on Troy total war or similar ..... CLUNK .. CLUNK ..CLUNK!

Bannerlord is now the STANDARD for battles, which others are failing..

Archaicwarrior : I agree for the battles. I would like in the future to see a bit more AI 'depth' with some features borrowed from Total War series. One thing might be the ability to target a specific enemy formation for a unit to assault i.e. order cavs specifically attack an archer formation.

Back
Top Bottom