A couple suggestions for custom battles

Users who are viewing this thread

darkhorse

Squire
Let me start by saying that the custom battles are currently great, and an enormous amount of fun to play. But here are a few problems I noticed:

1. While defending in siege, I was able to pick off 60% of the 45 enemies with a bow and arrow before the siege engine even reached the castle. Most of the opposing troops just stood still with their shields down while perfectly in range, even after they had been hit the first time. The AI should take evasive maneuvers if they are being shot at in siege.

2. When I played against Khergits I noticed that all of their soldiers have top-tier armor, making them ridiculously hard to kill. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

3. While the current maps are beautiful and great, it could really use some more. A random plain, steppe or mountains may be a good idea.

I have a couple of suggestions myself:

1. While being able to fight as one of the premade characters is cool, I would also like to try one as my own character. This could be done by importing a character from one of the used savegame slots. Their skills, proficiencies, inventory loadout and face should be the same as in the save.This could also be usefull for testing in mods because you can just make a character and for example, give it some weapons to test and then play them in a custom battle to see how they work out. I've already suggested this in the bugtracker

2. Have a "Loadout and Skills" screen for each character that shows you their inventory, skills, bio and proficiencies. I came up with a simple draft of what I thought it could look like:

xcrvpe.jpg

3. As said above, more maps is always welcomed.

4. After a custom battle, you should be brought back to the custom battle screen.

5. After brought back the custom battle screen, all the settings should be the same as from the previous battle.

6. As mentioned by someone else, the command screen (default key is backspace) should be available in custom battle.

If I have more suggestions I'll post them. Also, Sarejo, you should also post all your CB suggestions in here as well.

Da-V-Man said:
I have a couple of suggestions myself:

1. While being able to fight as one of the premade characters is cool, I would also like to try one as my own character. This could be done by importing a character from one of the used savegame slots. Their skills, proficiencies, inventory loadout and face should be the same as in the save.This could also be usefull for testing in mods because you can just make a character and for example, give it some weapons to test and then play them in a custom battle to see how they work out. I've already suggested this in the bugtracker

2. Have a "Loadout and Skills" screen for each character that shows you their inventory, skills, bio and proficiencies. I came up with a simple draft of what I thought it could look like:

xcrvpe.jpg

3. As said above, more maps is always welcomed.

4. After a custom battle, you should be brought back to the custom battle screen.

5. After brought back the custom battle screen, all the settings should be the same as from the previous battle.

6. As mentioned by someone else, the command screen (default key is backspace) should be available in custom battle.

If I have more suggestions I'll post them. Also, Sarejo, you should also post all your CB suggestions in here as well.

Very much agree with all of this. Also, has anyone noticed any quirks in the battle report at the end? It could just be me, I'll do more testing, but the numbers seem to be off.

Something really weird happened on mine,  just for lols i put myself alone (as the bandit-daughter, mounted swordswoman/archer) against a full army of saranid horsemen,  but only one enemy spawned. i killed him,  then another spawned-  completely idle.  i moved in for the kill only to see that this soldier was me!  it was a clone of the character i was playing who was sat there idle,  killed her and it said i'd won the battle.

Here's one that I feel would really help usability: when you set one troop type in either army to zero, then it should lock and stay there until you move it above zero again. The current system makes it quite annoying to balance the ratio of two troop types in an army, or to set an army to one troop type only.

Qwertyman said:
Something really weird happened on mine,  just for lols i put myself alone (as the bandit-daughter, mounted swordswoman/archer) against a full army of saranid horsemen,  but only one enemy spawned. i killed him,  then another spawned-  completely idle.  i moved in for the kill only to see that this soldier was me!  it was a clone of the character i was playing who was sat there idle,  killed her and it said i'd won the battle.

When you were choosing the enemy army's composition, did you bump the Wizard slider higher than zero percent?

okiN said:
Here's one that I feel would really help usability: when you set one troop type in either army to zero, then it should lock and stay there until you move it above zero again. The current system makes it quite annoying to balance the ratio of two troop types in an army, or to set an army to one troop type only.

Sounds like a good solution to me.

SockMonkeh said:
Qwertyman said:

When you were choosing the enemy army's composition, did you bump the Wizard slider higher than zero percent?

not that I am aware of,  but i may have done without realising.

okiN said:

Good suggestion. I like it.

I also think that the Khergit bot armour is far too good. In my experience of bot matches, Khergit on foot easily beat Nords, to say nothing of the useless Vaegir...

An easy way to get a better balance would be to set a certain amount of money as the standard bot cash, something in the range of about 1500 to 3000, and then "buy" equipment from the corresponding multiplayer class's selection to equip them with; that way they will fit in nicely with the rest of the humans, will be about as balanced as the player classes, and also start using the nice looking recently added gear.

I think it should have a character creation option as well, or let you use characters from SP. I don't see why we should have to use those custom characters, and being able to create one would help for testing different equipment sets and stuff like that.

okiN said:
Great idea.

As I suggested before, more maps is always good, but specifically, I think adding a ladder siege scene in both offense and defense would be good. I find that siege tower scenes can take to long to get into action if you are a melee-based character.

Another thing I noticed while playing custom battle today is that all heraldic signs (including the ally flags) are the red/black blank. Their banners should reflect their faction (or the characters personal) banner. There should also be a banner for bandits as well (something that represents chaos I guess).

Also the minimum value for the size of your own army should be zero, not one, so the player can solo against enemies without forcing him to have at least 1 bot along.

Also would choosing the weather be possible?

Having a weather option would be great.

Also, Da-V-Man, that would be perfect.

It's funny though, when I bump up my battlesize to 2.5, the slider is able to do 250v250. Is that just me, or can anyone do it without bumping their battlesize past 100?

A 'save scenario' button for your favourite battle set-ups would be good, and the ability to modify maps and save them as new ones without having to run the whole thing through the module system. 

Back
Top Bottom