.890 play style vs. 891/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone else kind of miss .890? I know some people couldn't handle the river pirates, but if you could that version is an absolute blast. Besides smoother combat that disappeared with the updates, measly opponents stayed measly and let you roll over them from the beginning if you were good. It was fun. The looting everywhere was kind of frantic, but fun too... this was a mad land at war not a bunch of castle camping Kings and tiny groups of enemies you have to hunt down 1 by 1 to gain XP. On the other hand it was certainly a bit on the easy side with a lazy AI, so if you felt like a real challenge there wasn't much.

What would your ideal version be? I'd like the big groups back (big groups = faster XP), the smoothness of .890 but maybe some world map AI settings, and optional higher difficulty levels.

.890 was the best.

Sure the new troops and all were good with the patch, but performance fell, archery got changed back, and overall combat does not seem as good.

Worldmap gameplay was still screwed up in that version, I personally couldn't notice any differences in performance so far, either.

The larger enemy stacks from .890 (at least this is how my games have been) were ridiculous if you were actually trying to put a dent in the enemy; unless you wanted to wait around for help.

I do think the jerky combat weirdness is annoying, but other than that I think .891/.892 is a huge improvement.

I miss the AI from 890, which let you fight, not randomly slash your sword towards a bunch of enemies grouping around you like what is is now. Armagan, please change the a bit more like what it was in .890. Anyone agree?

Ollieh said:
I miss the AI from 890, which let you fight, not randomly slash your sword towards a bunch of enemies grouping around you like what is is now. Armagan, please change the a bit more like what it was in .890. Anyone agree?

I really haven't noticed this everywhere, mainly if I get caught sneaking in to towns and in arenas, I don't notice the wackiness in normal battles as much, are other people experiencing this everywhere?

AI fights better in this version, in last version it was too easy. It would be good if player could select by himself what kind of combat behavior he wants.

I don't mind "jerky" animations if combat is more flowing, of course animations could be improved but not with expense of game play.

And wth is jerky anyway? I looked from several dictionaries and all I found was dried meat and female buttocks. :???:

Theo said:
And wth is jerky anyway? I looked from several dictionaries and all I found was dried meat and female buttocks. :???:

Jerking is like making a sudden, quick and short movement. Choppy might be a better word... not sure. But in this case it's a word to express poor framerate.

I like the new play style, I really love the fact I have to think more now before I start chopping people up since my horse isn't invincible anymore and the enemy troops are a helluva lot more intelligent.

Theo said:
AI fights better in this version, in last version it was too easy. It would be good if player could select by himself what kind of combat behavior he wants.

I don't mind "jerky" animations if combat is more flowing, of course animations could be improved but not with expense of game play.

Well yeah, that's what I meant, the new .892 female buttocks animations. What did you think I was talking about?

Nobody said:
Well yeah, that's what I meant, the new .892 female buttocks animations. What did you think I was talking about?

Ah, I see. Well, I do have Ymira and Kidnapped girl running around in bikinis, but I haven't noticed much difference yet. Looks like I have to pay more attention. Closer attention.

I really liked the AI in 0.890, they wouldn't just charge towards you and you only like they did in the previous versions, they'd spread out and try to tackle the rest of your army.

They seem to have reverted in the updates, though. =/

Ollieh said:

I think the AI needs a lot of work in general. .890 was ok but they still lacked any reasonable kind of tactic. I notice a couple things that are still really exploitable and bad right now that I hope they fix:

- any enemy climbing a giant damn hill very, very slowly. can we get them to go around? or wait somewhere else? it's just not right that they're reverse lemmings, and they are so easy to shoot while they do this.

- enemies that are hurt below a certain threshold should run away from more danger, not towards it. maybe even get a chance to "escape" the map if they get to the border.

- if you engage a very weak enemy that was running, they should still be running around when you fight... not volunteering to die

- appropriate response to being under ranged fire. you can walk up a castle siege engine and snipe the whole castle from point blank range because they don't have a reasonable AI response. they should either hide, run away from your direction, or charge, but not do a single side step and act like there's nothing to worry about after that. once upon a time I remember they would carry evasive actions on for quite awhile when under fire, that would be nice to see again.

In general, I like .892 better.
Certainly DON'T see any degradation
in performance. Might actually have
improved (though not enough to
make forests playable).

In response to the OP, the ideal version would be .892 as is with slower shields, animation glitches fixed, and fewer, but somewhat larger bandit parties.

alexyoo93 said:
.808 FTW until another long lasting bug-free version of M&B comes out.

I'm tending to agree with that...

I think a good definition of "Latest Stable Version" is "The M&B version required by the latest release of The Last Days mod." So for now it's .808.

Not that I mind playtesting for .89 though, but .808 is the way to go if you want to get really into the game. That's what stable releases are for. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom