4th Era Serious Roleplay Information + Rules

Users who are viewing this thread

4th Era Serious Roleplay

Welcome, roleplayer. In spite of recent events spent on several other servers on Persistent World and the horrible experiences I have had as a roleplayer there, I have called it upon myself to create a serious roleplaying environment for people who aren’t just in it for light roleplay and deathmatch. Follow the rules and you’ll be fine. I will be writing a guide soon to help newcomers to roleplaying soon, and maybe even a full guide about the server but I am very busy at this moment with real life issues. Until then the server is open for everyone, and has votekick enabled for when I’m offline.

Server IP: 173.73.142.69:7243
This is hosted from my home computer currently, so expect a little downtime until I can get a more permanent server going.

These are the basic server rules, violation of one or many of these rules will result in kick/ban or other admin actions against you.
  • 1. Roleplay at all times, this means having a proper roleplay name in this format; First_Last. Only administrators are allowed to declare a situation to be OOC and/or interrupt an RP event.
  • 2. Do not meta- and/or powergame.
  • 3. Do not deathmatch (DM); killing another player is alright, as long as you've got a proper roleplay reason.
  • 4. No revenge-killing. If you are killed, your memory will be cleared and you'll forget about the killer In Character. Attempting to kill the killer after you've been killed, is revenge-killing.
  • 5. Do not use OOC Chat for IC purposes, such as advertisements or metagaming and vice-versa.
  • 6. Do not use acronyms or abbreviations such as OMG, LOL, JK, u, ur, and/or smiles In-Character.
  • 7. Do not spam chats (IC & OOC) and/or commands.
  • 8. No abusive language towards other players in any OOC-chat.
  • 9. No fully capitalized sentences in OOC-chats, please.
  • 10. Robbing/Killing of new players is not allowed, they need to learn.

Admin instructions are final, regardless if they're stated in these rules or not.

Quick Chat Guide
The main “T” chat channel will serve as a General Chat Channel and OOC chat.
It should be used mainly to ask questions about roleplay, find other players (this can be done without metagaming by specifying a general location where people are, rather than a specific spot), and various other game-related topics.
It should NOT be used for any “Off-Topic” or non-game related discussions.

The Local “I” chat channel will serve as In-Character Chat and Local-OOC.
Absolutely no out-of-character (OOC) or non-game related dialog should take place without proper OOC marking.

How to do OOC: Simply surround the text you want to be considered OOC with parenthesis Ex. (This is OOC)
Alternative: Place a prefix of OOC: before the text you want to be considered OOC Ex. OOC: This is OOC

How to express yourself In-Character:
Talk: Just send the text printed with the Local-chat and it will be considered IC unless prefixed OOC
Whisper: Surround your text with curly brackets Ex. {This is whispering}; you should also determine who can and can’t hear it IC.
Yell: Surround your text with regular brackets Ex. [This is Yelling]; please do not capitalize all text in the brackets because we get the point you are yelling with the brackets, all caps is hard to read and annoying.

How to convey an action: Surround your text with double asterisks and write in third person as if you were writing a book, try to stay in present tense. Ex. **is doing an action**

Quick Name Guide
A proper name would be something like this: Franz_Ferdinand. Do not use real life people or figures (like I just did) and try to keep your name somewhat realistic for the time period.

Realistic Medieval Names

Ranco-German male names:
Johann
Jean
Manfred
Erik
Gerard
Louis
Francois
Franz
Henri
Rudolf
Mattias
Gaston
Guy
Martin
Stefan
Richard
Jurgen
Ernst
Charles/Karl
Ludwig
Robert
Otto
Conrad
Jacques
Philippe
Frederick
Lothaire [Lothar]
Jacques
Gustav

French female names:
Adele
Gisele
Charlotte
Blanche
Anne
Constance
Mathilde
Cecile
Isabelle
Eleanor
Alice
Agnes
Clemence
Catherine
Louise
Renee

If you're looking to get truly authentic with your name check this out: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
I've also found that looking at Wikipedia at names of Kings and Queens of the era is also helpful at finding a name.

(Incomplete) Guide for New Roleplayers

What is roleplaying?
Roleplaying (RP) is taking the role of another person (in most cases) or thing and pretending to be that thing. Roleplaying is often compared to free-form theatre and collaborative story telling. Kids do it all they time when they play Cops and Robbers or Cowboys and Indians. Roleplaying is a fun way for some people to express creativity while having fun at the same time, but it is not for everyone. Roleplaying was popularized with Dungeons and Dragons, and other pen-and-paper RPGs. Since the beginning of the internet roleplaying has been done in MUDs and MUSHs and as computers became more modernized roleplaying has been done in video games. Roleplaying online is incredibly different from roleplaying with a few friends, and there are many rules to go along with it that have been made from experience and have been made to give everyone the most fair and fun roleplay they can. Most multiplayer you see currently online (in M&B) consists only of deathmatch and even with the Persistent World module you may have seen some light roleplaying going on, but much of what makes roleplay so fun seems absent. Because of this I have taken the initiative to make a serious roleplay server for people who would enjoy it.

Understanding the Difference Between IC and OOC
Before we go any further I want to take the time to explain differences between IC and OOC because it is ESSENTIAL to understand these concepts to be a successful roleplayer.
In-Character refers to actions taken only by your character in the character world. In this case that would be anything that happens in the Fictional Medieval World of M&B. In-Character is from your characters perspective in the act, and you should never cease acting for any reason. Out-of-Character refers to actions that have NOT happened in the fictional universe, or knowledge that you have NOT obtained though IC means (Some things are considered general knowledge, and don’t count.) Using OOC knowledge to your advantage is known as metagaming and is almost always against the rules. We will get into an example of this later. Metagamers usually do not behave the same way that matches their character experiences and backstory. Also remember this is just  RP and is meant to be FUN, if at any time you are not having fun, just leave. Never attack, insult or ruin other characters for OOC reasons. The key is to stay In-Character.

Metagaming - Using OOC Knowledge In-Character. As stated above, metagamers usually do not behave the same way that their character might in the same situation. This is done fairly often, usually without the player even aware they are doing it. Examples include:

Psychic Characters – Characters don’t know the names of other characters simply because their name appeared in the chat. You have to actually introduce and meet other characters like in real life to get their name. Holding alt to see their name is okay, but referring to someone by name without actually meeting them IC is metagaming. Also don’t blurt out your life story to everyone you meet when you RP, new roleplayers seem to do this a lot and when it happens it makes conversations seem very unnatural and scripted, subtly introduce it at the right times, or wait for a proper moment to do it IC.

Game Mechanics – Characters do not know they have a certain number of hit points, or this Axe does 15 more damage than that sword. These figures are game mechanics. This is not very abusable in M&B, as health is not displayed numerically; and weapon damage is fairly random and at least somewhat realistic.

Unusual Knowledge of world events – It’s unlikely that if a battle between two kingdoms broke out, that did not involve say, a civilian that they would be able to recount the battle and count the losses EXACTLY as if they had watched it. (Unless you did, but it’s also pretty stupid for an unarmed civilian to walk their way into a middle of a battle.) Do you know the details of every Operation in Iraq? Even soldiers? It’s more realistic for your character to know little of the events or have an extremely distorted version. If your character has knowledge of world events, make sure there is a plausible way they have this information.

Information Separation (or lack of) – You’re chatting with your friend on MSN and he tells that IC he made another character breakdown and cry and recounts the details. Wouldn’t that have been pretty dramatic and awesome to watch? But wait, you couldn’t, because you weren’t there IC and your character does not know what has occurred. Unless someone IC tells you about this fight, you can’t know about it or even ask any of the characters involved about it, because you have no idea that it happened, you have no IC reason to do so. Using OOC Knowledge In-Character is metagaming.

Bringing in the OOC – Do not mention real life events and items. Your characters do not know about these events in their world, and don’t use acronyms IC such as “AFK” or “LOL”. They don’t exist in the characters world. Remember, this is just IC and you can talk about real life events all you want in OOC Chat.

Knowledge of the future – As events are planned, you may read the proposed story of it and what is “supposed” to happen. In this example, one kingdom will send a huge army to capture the town from the other kingdom, oppressing the civilians yet again (so sad). Some characters make the mistake of somehow “learning” about this event before it has happened, and begin to tell people IC about how the evil kingdom is coming to invade the town again, when in reality the character would have no idea what-so-ever of this happening. Again, if they do have knowledge of this event, make sure it is plausible enough that they would be spreading the word around.

How to not Metagame
You may be wondering how to prevent doing this, at it seems pretty easy to break the metagaming rules. I can insure you, all roleplayers at one point in their careers have done this. The easiest method I found was to always ask why; why would my character do this, or think of this. If you can’t think of an answer, or the answer seems pretty sketchy chances are it’s not an IC thought or action and you shouldn’t continue doing it.

Powergaming - Forcing another player to engage in roleplay that they do not want to participate in, or being extremely powerful when IC your strength is almost equal to the other player. For example, forcing a player into a fight and then knocking him out in just a few punches is powergaming. Forcing a player into a “sexual” encounter is also powergaming.

Dealing with Trolls
The troll, otherwise known as the anti-roleplayer only plays to deliberately go out of their way to ruin your immersion and roleplay experience. There is many ways they can do this, from DMing in-game, to trolling specific forum posts, or simply distracting people actually roleplaying with bull**** (for a lack of a better word). The troll is the kid at the beach who enjoys kicking down sandcastles. Usually people say don’t feed the troll, and that’s usually the best way to handle it, aside from telling an administrator. Just ignore the troll, and eventually it will give up and leave, or get banned.

If you want to help me out with the server, with the guide or anything send me a PM.

I assume if your character is killed you should make another one?

Also, about the naming guide: here's a few more extensive ones. http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

socks said:
I assume if your character is killed you should make another one?

Also, about the naming guide: here's a few more extensive ones. http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

I have no specific guidelines for this, as I don't want to enforce permanent death at the moment with the current playerbase of next to nothing, especially when people spend a long time developing detailed back stories for their characters.

But in my personal opinion, I believe in permanent death except in cases of DM or Bandit roleplay (as bandits have to kill the player to rob them currently), I feel if the death was roleplayed out then the player should consider their character gone. If you don't want to lose your character, why would you engage them in lethal combat? I find it gives a stricter sense of realism, as players actually care about their lives in game, even if they really don't.  Right now, i'm leaving it at the players discretion. If they think the roleplay was good enough they can go ahead and PK the character if they want, but I'm not going to enforce anything, yet. But that's like, just my opinion, man.

Also thanks for link, I'll edit the main post with it.

You could perhaps set a server password and only PM it to people who express a desire to be a part of your idea - in this here thread?

Sushiman said:
You can't join servers by I, so you need to post the name of the server. And where is it located?
If I'm not mistaken it's the one called '4th Era Serious Roleplay'.

Svenn said:
You could perhaps set a server password and only PM it to people who express a desire to be a part of your idea - in this here thread?
I did think about this, by forcing people to complete a basic quiz on roleplaying concepts and send me a basic character background. I decided against it at launch because I wanted people to join the sever and at least have some sort of player base so that sever wasn't limited to like 7 people who submitted applications. I also didn't want to come off as an elitist, as it seems lots of people from M&B are new to the concept of roleplaying. If trolling and deathmatching does become a problem, I will probably end up making applications to join, though.

Sushiman said:
You can't join servers by I, so you need to post the name of the server. And where is it located?
It is in fact the server called 4th Era Serious Roleplay, and it's located in Northern Virginia about 20 miles from DC; so east coast USA. I play other games online with people from California and England all the time and their pings are fine, so don't be put off by the location.

I have a feeling this server will be completely ignored until local and faction chat are fixed though.

This mod, and knowing that fellow RPers are out there, have convinced me to buy this game. Money is tight, but I'm counting up the pennies around my house. Hope to be able to get involved with this awesomeness soon!

Lyon665 said:
This mod, and knowing that fellow RPers are out there, have convinced me to buy this game. Money is tight, but I'm counting up the pennies around my house. Hope to be able to get involved with this awesomeness soon!

Also visit "The Globe" thread in General Discussion, its a RP mod even better than this there, even if ((sadly)) noone plays it regulary T_T

Lyon665 said:
Once I'm finally able to, I'll be checking out all of this good stuff :wink:

But: For final words, dont except too much. You ((right now)) wont get great roleplaying most of time, as the server is young and there are still some idiots who need to be banned..^^

Back
Top Bottom