SP Antiquity Dark Ages 485AD Darkness Rising

Users who are viewing this thread

Good thing there are alot of sources for dark age britian out there. If you combine that with dark age Eastern Rome sources then you I think you could accuratly represent Europe in that time frame. Not sure if you have any of the Total war games but the Medieval II mod Invisio Bararorum has a sub mod set in britian/northern france area that I felt accuratly represented things. You could use that as a reference if you think it would help with the armor and weapon designs. Not sure if the people of good old Hybernia acted as mercenaries at that time but if you find info on that then Gaelic mercenaries could be a neat addition.

:idea:

equitum11.jpg

equitum21.jpg

Late-roman or roman-byzantine cavalry shield patterns, I've seen a similar image in an osprey book about early byzantines.
Tough I've never fully understood the scentificity of those sources...

Hofiko said:
Sayd Ûthman said:
as far as i know equite is the latin word used for the cavalry and horse-related stuff

I am sure you are wrong. Equite was a social class, less than senatore, more than citizen. Too much Rome Total War. :smile:

It was a Roman social class. You are correct. They were also Roman horse cavalrymen and Total War were, in this instance, not wrong: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/equites

Hofiko said:
Sayd Ûthman said:
as far as i know equite is the latin word used for the cavalry and horse-related stuff

I am sure you are wrong. Equite was a social class, less than senatore, more than citizen. Too much Rome Total War. :smile:
Nope, it's a matter of both. Equites is a social class as well as a name for Roman cavalry.

Hofiko said:

Actually, "equites" means "horsemen". It was used for units as well, for example, equites sagitarii, or cohors equitata (for auxiliary cohorts that consisted of both infantry and cavalry). It's also liberally used in Latin texts to describe cavalry.

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
Hofiko said:

Actually, "equites" means "horsemen". It was used for units as well, for example, equites sagitarii, or cohors equitata (for auxiliary cohorts that consisted of both infantry and cavalry). It's also liberally used in Latin texts to describe cavalry.
And it was also a social class.

My point is that, the latin equite was primarily used for social and economic class, I believe. However, as equites were the main recruits to form the early Roman cavalry, equite became a word describing a horsemen. So, you might be right Roach, as we are talking about very late Roman Empire, not Republic.

Back
Top Bottom