3D Modeling Help with Sarranid Armor

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello,

I have a problem and need help, I'm trying to create a new type of Sarranid armor by combining the Sarranid Guard armor with the Sarranid Mamluke armor

this is how I want it to look like in this picture

-W7xi.jpg

however, keep notice on this aspect that the armor does not show the straps of the Sarranid Guard armor, that is because I do not want the straps to show in the armor, I want to make it look like the shoulder armor of the Sarranid Mamluke armor is covering the straps, so I purposely got rid of the straps to achieve this part

now this is the problem

WC5z8.jpg

I want to bring the Sarranid Guard portion of the armor to look like it is getting attached to the shoulder armor of the Mamluke armor to give the illusion that the shoulder armor is covering the straps of the Sarranid Guard armor even though they are not

so I ask how will I be able do this

ezbGT.jpg

I want to get the Sarranid Guard portion of the armor to be aligned with the Mamluke armor, if that makes sense, without distorting the image of the Sarranid Guard armor

note: I am still a novice at using Blender, I know the basics of Blender and have watched a few tutorials, but so far I have not learned what I must do to achieve the result I want for my modeling project

can someone please help me or at least give me insight in what I can try to do ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Your Blender version is very, very out of date, but this will still be applicable to you. Go into edit mode, select the vertices that are on the corner of the chest plate, or even the whole top edge, turn on Proportional Editing, set it to a mode that you like (don't worry too much, you can edit the falloff later), and move the verts along the Y-axis (G to move then Y to lock the axis). Mouse wheel up will increase the proportional size, mouse wheel down will decrease it.

I made a quick video demonstrating the idea.

There are better ways to do it, but this is probably the easiest if you're just getting started.
Your Blender version is very, very out of date, but this will still be applicable to you. Go into edit mode, select the vertices that are on the corner of the chest plate, or even the whole top edge, turn on Proportional Editing, set it to a mode that you like (don't worry too much, you can edit the falloff later), and move the verts along the Y-axis (G to move then Y to lock the axis). Mouse wheel up will increase the proportional size, mouse wheel down will decrease it.

I made a quick video demonstrating the idea.

There are better ways to do it, but this is probably the easiest if you're just getting started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you for the response,

I'm having a problem with Blender, I'm trying to do what you said, but when I select the vertices in edit mode and enter in Proportional Editing, every time I press G, instead of moving the vertices, the whole chest plate is moving and only the vertices at the corners are selected nothing else is selected, what do I do ?

sorry if this is a noob question, but I am still learning to use Blender

Upvote 0
Shrink the proportional editing effect size by scrolling down on the mouse wheel. Depending on the scale you're working in it can sometimes be a very small circle of influence you will need.

Influence
You can increase or decrease the radius of the proportional editing influence with the mouse wheel WheelUp, WheelDown or PageUp, PageDown respectively. As you change the radius, the points surrounding your selection will adjust their positions accordingly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you I solved the issue with the Proportional Edit mode circle, also do you have any other methods you would know just in case your first idea does not work ?

Upvote 0
what is sculpting in Blender and can it e used for this project of mine ?
I dont recomend sculpting for theese issues if your not carefuly enough (As a memory : I ruined Barneys model...) but if you wanna gain info up some more make sure to check the tutorials or something...Looks like Plugins doing the same thing as i see.

Upvote 0
why do you disapprove of sculpting ? surely it can be used as a second option just in case Proportional Edit fails, right ?
no i meant sculpting might causes some of the risks if you aint caring enough about that. But sculpting is usefull if its in the controll. +You can even check the plugins about sculpting (Blender stonks)...

Upvote 0
Yes, it will, but it's not the intended use so it won't react well or be easy to use.

Sculpting works best on high resolution, solid meshes, and really does not like low poly models, models with inconsistent mesh density or models that aren't closed (missing backfaces or the like)

You could also use a Lattice modifier, a Shrinkwrap Modifier, or any dozens of tools in Blender, but that's overcomplicating what is genuinely a simple task.

Just grab them verts and drag it over, no reason to over think it.

Upvote 0
Hello again,

I used Proportional edit mode, but this is what I got

some of the chain mail is blocking part of the chest armor

how would I solve that issue.

also notice in these 3 pictures

after using the Proportional Edit mode the chest armor looks like it was made for a woman notice the chest area bulge in the chest armor.

How would I solve this issue ?

Would it still be through Proportional Edit mode ?

Upvote 0
Grab those vertices and move them individually.

Proportional edit only moves surrounding vertices proportional to the original selection based on the selected curve and influence, so it's useful for moving groups of things, but tweaks can be done without it, it's not the end-all-be-all.

A little clipping should be expected, and will definitely happen more when the model moves since it's not a single mesh.

Upvote 0
There's an undo function, just experiment and if you don't like it, CTRL+Z. Easy-peasy.

You're overthinking this thing way too much.

At this point, taking one month to move like 50 verts, this feels like a troll thread.

Upvote 0
I assure you this is not a troll thread, please bear in mind this is my first modeling/frankensteining project, and I'm having trouble balancing my time between school, training, and working on this project, while at the same time wanting this armor to be perfect, since this is my dream armor.

And I want everything to go perfect

Aside from that, since you said I don't have to worry about the chainmail covering parts of the chest armor, what about the bulge that is making my armor look like it has breasts, how would I solve that problem ?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom