3 Late game problems that I hate!

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm gonna say late game is when the player faction becomes equal or greater then all other faction combined. These problems to me suck the enjoyment out of the game and add nothing in return. It's not at all making it more challenging, it's just bull:poop: to make you what you just did again and again or "that doesn't work, gotta do this" just shoehorning you into something when you wanted todo something else. Just want to get it out of the way, not one bit of this makes the game any harder.

1: Clans stop wanting to join you, because.... reasons? And I mean Poor or very poor, fief less clans with 70-100 relations with me. After a certain point in making my kingdom all of the clans start to nope me, despite meeting the conditions that historically I found would make them join. At first I though "oh maybe they like their leader" but as time goes on it becomes clear it's just all of the clan. II suspect maybe the game checks how many clans you have and the clans weigh this against you, but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter why tough, if the player can't collect all the clans what's the point of them? This sticks out as a really bad design once you start to say 90% of the map and they still won't join. So all these clans who love you would rather be homeless prisoners forever then join you? It doesn't make sense and just makes the game worse.

I think TW needs to make 100% transparent in game what the AI is looking and TW needs to decide what the game is supposed to be about. If we unite the world we need to absorb all the clans, if for any reason TW doesn't think we should have all the clans then they need to make the clans GO AWAY just like in warband.

2: Peace is worthless. You gain absolutely no value from giving a faction peace. In a week, even a near ruined faction will re-build and re-attack you. It doesn't matter if they have like 1 fief left, they can go recruit all of YOUR troops and rebuild and declare war on. The vassal are programmed with the wrong information and don't understand any of this, so they will vote for peace and let out entire factions, who take all you recruit and make an army and make you repeat the same boring content over and over. This adds no challenge, only annoying fluff.

I think really there should be two types of peace. 1 like we have, for factions of near power. A second that's more like complete submission for when you are massively more powerful then the enemy faction. I don't need their money and they have no means to ever challenge me, if I let them out of prisons it must in complete submission, if they ever declare war again they face execution from any vassal that defeats them.

3: FOOD. It gets to a point, where even a modest garrison starts to be challenged by the food supply system. The problem is at a certain point of progress EVERY town is using more food and also EVERY town nearby is Your faction's, so you can't even go buy all the food and dump it in your town.... because they're all your town! One of the only things I like is having my special troops. I only really want 2 sets I can trade out, but even this is too much for late game bannerlord. There's no place but my party I can put troops and not risk a food plummet and loss of special troops.

This one is touchy because I know it's sounding mean but I honestly think all of the "economy" in the game is just bull:poop: and adds absolutely nothing to the game. I think a good fix would be for the player/ruler to just exchange prosperity for food upgrades, as if you send out a bunch of town people to make a new farm or something. I don't care about taxes, I just want to put troops somewhere and have them stay. I would gladly and instantly turn off prosperity gain in my home fief, because it absolutely worthless.

Lategame really over stays it's welcome and quickly makes you consider just executing everyone and calling it gg.

I have not reached a late game myself, so this is not making me look forward to it.
By the way, the game starts in 1084 or so, what is considered late game?

I think the cities start to prosper above their ability to support themselves quite early in some cases. Particularly the Asari cities. I think there should probably be more levels to food based projects in the city - it shouldn't be possible for a city to outgrow it's potential food supply base without offering some sort of option to the player other than becoming a permanent food caravan.

But I don't think the food issue is a late game thing. I've struck it early in some cities.

I have not reached a late game myself, so this is not making me look forward to it.
By the way, the game starts in 1084 or so, what is considered late game?
I'm saying it's more when your faction is stronger then the rest combined, not so much a date.

I think the cities start to prosper above their ability to support themselves quite early in some cases. Particularly the Asari cities. I think there should probably be more levels to food based projects in the city - it shouldn't be possible for a city to outgrow it's potential food supply base without offering some sort of option to the player other than becoming a permanent food caravan.

But I don't think the food issue is a late game thing. I've struck it early in some cities.
Oh for sure, but my point is that at a certain point it starts to be EVERY town doesn't seem to have enough food because they're all prospering and being well taken care of by your super faction, which really brings to light how bad the prosperity/food system is combined with no additional remedies (such kick people out to make more farms lol).

what i hate is how when a faction is losing in a war their leader is able to call mercs on their cell phone and hire all of them, while i have to physically ride my horse across the world following rumors to finally find that merc dude after a year.

what i hate is how when a faction is losing in a war their leader is able to call mercs on their cell phone and hire all of them, while i have to physically ride my horse across the world following rumors to finally find that merc dude after a year.
This is annoying. There's a whole batch of "AI doesn't move or spend time to do thing" cheats that need to go. AI needs to not hire mercs remotely, telepathically or without moving the faction leader to the clan leader on the map. I'm also seriously skeptical of their ability to be paying the mercs or that the mechanic of pay is different for the Ai in some way. They also get married the same way and it's a cheat that needs to go. They also have clans join them the same way and I don't even know if they have to pay them anything. When the faction leader is a prisoner there should be absolutely no clans able to join them or mercs able to be hired, it's just so stupid. If a clan leader is prisoner their clan shouldn't be able to marry anyone.

2: Peace is worthless. You gain absolutely no value from giving a faction peace. In a week, even a near ruined faction will re-build and re-attack you. It doesn't matter if they have like 1 fief left, they can go recruit all of YOUR troops and rebuild and declare war on. The vassal are programmed with the wrong information and don't understand any of this, so they will vote for peace and let out entire factions, who take all you recruit and make an army and make you repeat the same boring content over and over. This adds no challenge, only annoying fluff.
This is one of the worst points of late game. Factions just go to instant war. If a faction is big enough, it starts waging wars agains 2 or 3 kingdoms at once, without even noticing that they cannot make it. Even if you force them to make peace, it will take 5 or 7 days for them to start voting again, and the majority will vote for declaring a war.

Small and weak factions also declare wars despite the great difference in troop numbers. Late game is an instant war. And there are few reasons for that, including poor AI descision make formula and the fact that there is absolutely nothing to do during peace time.

I think the different considerations that lead to a war get worsened as the player progresses. Shared borders seem to be an important factor - and the bigger you get, the more shared borders you have, the more often you're confronted by war. Also, if you have nobles in your faction, the bigger you get, the more power imbalances there are, the more often they want to declare war on weaker opponents.

That's the stage when the game tells you:
- Hey you played more than enough for 50$. Game over. Get life!

Joke aside, the late game is indeed boring. In the next patch, besides sheepskins, we might see improvements in the late game mechanics.

I'm gonna say late game is when the player faction becomes equal or greater then all other faction combined. These problems to me suck the enjoyment out of the game and add nothing in return. It's not at all making it more challenging, it's just bull:poop: to make you what you just did again and again or "that doesn't work, gotta do this" just shoehorning you into something when you wanted todo something else. Just want to get it out of the way, not one bit of this makes the game any harder.

1: Clans stop wanting to join you, because.... reasons? And I mean Poor or very poor, fief less clans with 70-100 relations with me. After a certain point in making my kingdom all of the clans start to nope me, despite meeting the conditions that historically I found would make them join. At first I though "oh maybe they like their leader" but as time goes on it becomes clear it's just all of the clan. II suspect maybe the game checks how many clans you have and the clans weigh this against you, but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter why tough, if the player can't collect all the clans what's the point of them? This sticks out as a really bad design once you start to say 90% of the map and they still won't join. So all these clans who love you would rather be homeless prisoners forever then join you? It doesn't make sense and just makes the game worse.

I think TW needs to make 100% transparent in game what the AI is looking and TW needs to decide what the game is supposed to be about. If we unite the world we need to absorb all the clans, if for any reason TW doesn't think we should have all the clans then they need to make the clans GO AWAY just like in warband.

I think really there should be two types of peace. 1 like we have, for factions of near power. A second that's more like complete submission for when you are massively more powerful then the enemy faction. I don't need their money and they have no means to ever challenge me, if I let them out of prisons it must in complete submission, if they ever declare war again they face execution from any vassal that defeats them.

3: FOOD. It gets to a point, where even a modest garrison starts to be challenged by the food supply system. The problem is at a certain point of progress EVERY town is using more food and also EVERY town nearby is Your faction's, so you can't even go buy all the food and dump it in your town.... because they're all your town! One of the only things I like is having my special troops. I only really want 2 sets I can trade out, but even this is too much for late game bannerlord. There's no place but my party I can put troops and not risk a food plummet and loss of special troops.

This one is touchy because I know it's sounding mean but I honestly think all of the "economy" in the game is just bull:poop: and adds absolutely nothing to the game. I think a good fix would be for the player/ruler to just exchange prosperity for food upgrades, as if you send out a bunch of town people to make a new farm or something. I don't care about taxes, I just want to put troops somewhere and have them stay. I would gladly and instantly turn off prosperity gain in my home fief, because it absolutely worthless.

Lategame really over stays it's welcome and quickly makes you consider just executing everyone and calling it gg.
You are pointing out 3 big issues that make me not trying a full gameplay for the moment.
While I don't really agree with your statement about the current economy system adding nothing to the game, player should definitively receive more information, more options to interact with and to minimize global and local economy impact (expand food production in villages, limit caravan trading in towns, limit town expansion, etc...).
I say bravo for taking time to play the game late enough to give such good feedback.

well said!

I would like to put down 2 more points.
4: GOALS. There is no other goal than conquering the entire map by repeating the same proces. I think adding goals to achieve would keep me interested. every time I was bored in PoP, i could go on a qualis gem hunt, improve the knight orders or go after the Noldor. Something similar like making and outfitting you own cultural troop tree and kings guard would be a good money sink and side activity. The my little warband mod shows the promise.

5: TIME. another issue affecting this game is the time progression. You can reach the endgame with you first character. There is no reason for the family dynastic system. It would keep the game interesting if you have to try to hold on to your territory after you MC is dead. To achieve this there could be less days in a year.

Another area where to game can improve a lot is to increase the step between playing as a King and playing as a Vassal. Give the player more control over the kingdom and strategic discussions and delegate minor tasks to vassals/governors/companions. like clearing out hideouts and managing issues.

Another area where to game can improve a lot is to increase the step between playing as a King and playing as a Vassal. Give the player more control over the kingdom and strategic discussions and delegate minor tasks to vassals/governors/companions. like clearing out hideouts and managing issues.
Indeed, dealing with hideouts and minor issues late game does not make sense either.

straight up facts. most of the problems you mentioned (the fast recruitment of troops, not all clans leaving one faction, fast comeback). are basically connected to the fixes of ai snowballing effects in the earlier versions of the game those where neccessary to keep khuzait horse lovers in their territory and to make sure that vassals stay in their kingdom. imo, what we experience right now are still placeholders and no ever lasting solutions.
anyway maybe this will help you to support some of your thoughts:

1. relation is having close to no impact on whether someone wants to join you or not. at least perks (having going/meaningful favours) have a way higher impact on that. relation in fact does influence the bartering. i do think this is going to change with the work on relation in the future.
in the recent version 1.6.5/1.6.4 it gets even more frustrating: clans without settlements are more willing to join enemy factions outa nowhere while you keep travelling 4 times across the map to find that one clan leader just to receive a no in the convo. according to my experience the chance of getting a yes increases, if clans are NOT in the faction they originally belonged to plus having no settlements.

2. the peace mechanics are more transparent than they were before, considering that you see the reasons why and whatsover now. still, it doesnt make any sense to pay tribute to a kingdom you totally crushed and to have a peace for 2 days on top of that just to go into the next war right after they recovered. its eyerolling. in my opinion, having a peace should be connected to a promised time of non-aggression between the two factions. if some side is breaking that, it should get a major punish, like heavy money loss, war declarations from other factions and/or whatsoever.

i dont share your views on point 3 tho, as i do think that the player should get limited to not stash all his troops in 1-2 towns without big struggles. if a player does so, that one should only do that a limited time. actually i do think that the economy system needs some work, but not in really in the way you mentioned. i do think that the big issue about economy is the missing value of things.

This is one of the worst points of late game. Factions just go to instant war. If a faction is big enough, it starts waging wars agains 2 or 3 kingdoms at once, without even noticing that they cannot make it. Even if you force them to make peace, it will take 5 or 7 days for them to start voting again, and the majority will vote for declaring a war.

Small and weak factions also declare wars despite the great difference in troop numbers. Late game is an instant war. And there are few reasons for that, including poor AI descision make formula and the fact that there is absolutely nothing to do during peace time.
It's bananas how aggressive they get when they're de-fiefed, they'll all attack each other too towards the end! And of course nobody wants to join the player faction anymore so it's just constant everyone collecting these small parties and then eventually someone askes for peace, then it all start over again! Sometimes they'll switch sides to a faction that still has a fief and they'll be dozens of tiny parties hiding in one fief. "we're all happy with our lieges and..." well you're all going back to jail then! If they would all team up they might at least be able to make a stand, just running around single or in tiny armies is just a minor annoyance.

You are pointing out 3 big issues that make me not trying a full gameplay for the moment.
No no, you should do it and share you own feedback!

4: GOALS. There is no other goal than conquering the entire map by repeating the same proces.
Yeah I would really like be able to build or do something all of my own in the game, in addition to just taking everything! They should also add end game events for if the player does take the map.

5: TIME. another issue affecting this game is the time progression. You can reach the endgame with you first character.
It's true. I did manage to have my first child become adult for the first time, slightly before calling it GG. He turned 18 with just a handful of fiefs left un taken on the map.
I would love to be able to mark 1 target as a priority and send a few parties on hideout patrol. As it is you have to ascertain what fiefs will vassals NOT siege and take them yourself. otherwise you end up with these sill holes in your faction because that fief is just never "calculated" as a good idea to the AI. I will say passing all the loyalty and security policies let me ignore hideouts and issues though. The only rebellions I had were do to the loyalty being rock bottom before the AI too the fief, partially because they take SO LONG to launch and attack sometimes.

. imo, what we experience right now are still placeholders and no ever lasting solutions.
Yeah I certainly hope so.

1. relation is having close to no impact on whether someone wants to join you or not. at least perks (having going/meaningful favours) have a way higher impact on that. relation in fact does influence the bartering
Yeah meaningful favors is more effective then it's description makes it look. However the problem I had was the Clans just not allowing the barter dialogue, despite being poor, homeless and having high relations. I think it's somehow related to how many clans your faction has though, butt I don't know. At first everything worked as I expected, but after I had about 20 clans, nobody wanted to talk to me about ever again.

i dont share your views on point 3 tho, as i do think that the player should get limited to not stash all his troops in 1-2 towns without big struggles
Well, it's not that many troops really, it was actually 246 Khan's guards I use as my interception party. It's not that much, a garrison can hold 500-600 troops. Then I want to swap them out with other troops to go on patrol/siege where I can auto calc small parties and siege without any bother if some troops die. This worked for a good while but then food started getting low sometimes. My solution was just to move them to another town that had it's granary fuller and check on it every couple days and re-move them back and forth as needed. This was only in the last legs of the game and eventually I didn't have to do it anymore..... I think since there were so many parties and caravans, just nothing could stop the villagers and caravans anymore. It's still annoying though and I would rather just build more food supply and not have to baby sit the garrison.

That's the stage when the game tells you:
- Hey you played more than enough for 50$. Game over. Get life!
It does feel like this at a certain point, you have run the world into the ground, go away now!

This is what I read on the forums for myself; players could be content with very, very little different content from the Viking Conquest ( Warband ) dlc. However, the current game is far from that and the devs see code, not game. I don't think they opened the game like a player and played it even once. They are only focused on the money they get and the code they write...
We are talking about a huge empire and it is only 15 cities divided into 3 parts. cities have 2 or 3 villages. let's say they are the town but where are the rulers?
We set off from sturgia, which has snowy lands, and we can reach the aserai deserts in 2-3 days with the game day. On the way, I come across only 3-4 cities and they have 2 or 3 villages each. We can take the entire unit from where to where without camping or resting. I'm playing bannerlord because I don't want an anime or mystical game. I can't even compare with the maps and cities of the games that correspond to the price they want for the game.
I take a comrade myself to my clan and I cannot command him where he will go or what he will do. Which village to loot or where to defend, whether to donate his soldiers or not... I become a huge king, an army is formed without my approval, and according to what reason, the castle and city are besieged? Isn't this a rebellion?
Whole empire and this empire does not have a capital... or it is no different from other cities! They want to present the empire as a civilized civilization, but they have NO difference from the barbarian battania, neither their cities nor their economy, except visually!though there is nothing to do in the city... Even though I clean the bandits inside every day, a new one appears again every day.
I enter a city, a merchant comes upon a merchant, the trade is very lively and the level of prosperity is enormous. the production is good, the workshops are working and the production in the surrounding towns is good. but you bring all the merchants together, there is 50-70k gold in the purse. When I sell the goods I have for the money of the merchants in that city, the profit I get is not enough for my unit and garrison for 2 days. If you say the spoils of the war I won, that greater damage...
Let's get past all of this and enter the battlefield. All the soldiers are waving their swords, as if they are zombies and want to turn those in front of them into zombies at my command. Without any fear of death or any forward or backward moves! And really, after the first sword blow, the battle in the big square ends in 3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes. I don't even want to mention the sieges and the defense and attack sequences to be made in the siege. I can't even command the horsemen to attack the archers from the right (without using mods)? Speaking of mods, they are bored with the patches that have no effect on the content that constantly spoils the mods and that the producers break and fix.
I was waiting for bannerlord with big dreams in 2020. What I saw when it first came out was disappointment. However, it was said that we will continue to improve the game with player recommendations and the huge staff we have. Then they mentioned that they did code validation and it would take a long time. Once again, they fixed their own bugs, except for the ridiculous plugins. Anyway, there is only one thing that I am sad about now, if I had bought bitcoin with the money I gave to bannerlord, my money would have been worth 17 times more...

Yeah meaningful favors is more effective then it's description makes it look. However the problem I had was the Clans just not allowing the barter dialogue, despite being poor, homeless and having high relations. I think it's somehow related to how many clans your faction has though, butt I don't know. At first everything worked as I expected, but after I had about 20 clans, nobody wanted to talk to me about ever again.
meaningful favours increases the success chance by 30% according to bannerlordperks.com
i do experience the problem with foreign clans in lategame too. as i said: wealth and relation isnt having any impact at all on the dialogue and whatsoever. those factors only influence the bartering itself, nothing else in a remarkable way. i know its misleading as logic thinking would lead to the fact that wealth and relation should play a role in the dialogue/discussion process.
most clans not having a home are willing to join you, until you reach that "endgame" point you described. after that, you need to find a clan which is not belonging to its original faction anymore (f.e. the sturgian vezhoving clan joins the aserai). i found out that those are more willing to join you. even if they do have a settlement. it seems like the overall ammount of clans in a faction is playing a role too (factions with 5 clans+ are giving you a higher chance for a dialogue than faction with 2 clans left)

1: Clans stop wanting to join you, because.... reasons?
Yep! It's probably as you said, the more clans you have, the lower some arbitrary number is and the more difficult it is to recruit new ones. Borderline impossible for me with 100 relations and 10 clans already in the Kingdom.
2: Peace is worthless. You gain absolutely no value from giving a faction peace. In a week, even a near ruined faction will re-build and re-attack you. It doesn't matter if they have like 1 fief left, they can go recruit all of YOUR troops and rebuild and declare war on.
Yes, the AI is unable to understand when it's dooming a whole "pocket" of city+castles or even that it's not a particularly good idea to declare an otherwise won war over two point nine seconds after your capital has been conquered by a doomed 620 men expedition with a 2500-strong army on its tail. The clans and the AI kingdoms are both completely useless and the recruitment mechanic makes thing even stupider, as you pointed out. It's HILARIOUS to see a kingdom make peace after a big win only to see the newly released lords immediately fill their parties back up thanks the the SAME VILLAGES they kept pillaging for two years.
3: FOOD. It gets to a point, where even a modest garrison starts to be challenged by the food supply system.
The food situation is rather atrocious. I found myself having two starving settlements with 600+ strong garrisons as the cities themselves (and linked villages) were booming and had no issues (I always resolved them myself.) When that spiral begins, either you constantly act as some kind of food supplier instead of hunting down war parties or the cities *will* starve. And if you take down the garrison a peg, it's 2500-strong armies every five seconds, because the AI can just ignore all the small micromanaging issues apparently.
I absolutely agree. And the clans should be willing to... you know, survive. More than willing, it should be the whole point. If their kingdom is going down and the clan has no fiefs left, they should fold to the "invader" and ask to join them on top of paying tribute. As it was customary in that time and age the game is supposedly trying to simulate. That's how kingdom should, well, die (while other grow!)
Again, I agree with this. In late game, enemies are no longer a threat - they're a NUISANCE. They do not have the ability to, let's say, federate and boost their forces for a little while and challenge you for one last time. They can just pop out new war parties whenever they please. They can magically escape from prison if you don't have the required perk. Yet, game-wise, a war waged by a 15000 strength kingdom that owns most of the map against a tiny kingdom-in-exile with one castle is treated the same as a war on equal footing. Same rules, same AI. It makes no sense that I should be suddenly called tyrant because I execute a little **** with 22 men when my kingdom rules the whole continent, everybody loves me and the enemy "kingdom" is basically just BANDITS at this point... especially not after they were the ones declaring war with 500 vs 15000 strength and I had already captured their WHOLE kingdom save one last clan leader.

Endgame is infuriating to say the least - there should be different statuses in how war is treated by the game itself. Chances for small kingdoms to risk everything to do one last push, like fighting a late game crisis - temporary alliances to knock the ruling kingdom down a peg. Treated as an allied war, with everyone voting on who should take the taken fiefs. But if you lose, you disintegrate and the clans either form even smaller independent kingdoms or join the winner. Then, when there are two large kingdoms left - a different situation arises where the war is bloodier, longer and armies don't move until they're pretty huge. That would feel more like a good endgame. Maybe there's a certain threshold after which two kingdoms hate each other enough that if the lord capturing your party has bad relations with you, he can put you to death. You could do so many things like that!

Nah, it's not mean. It's an observable truth. Few people get far enough into the game to just realize that and swallow the pill.
The idea of a reactive economy is great but the implementation of such a concept is awful in practice. It fails at simulating a medieval economy and it fails at being interesting to "rig" and play around. You can't really be a war profiteer without exploits, and even if you can make a profit I wouldn't call camping a city for days until it's captured only to mass sell food and horses to it particularly thrilling. You can also make 100 times more by just farming enemy parties and crafting impractically huge two-handed weapons. And the whole food situation is... well. I'd rather have a simple system that isn't reactive at all at this point. Something that stops cities for suddenly going into a food death spiral just because I have 302 men instead of 298. At least give me ways to FIX the problems for a couple years. Let me negotiate new caravans. Let me build land and order the constables to expand the farms. Let me RAID enemy villages and take cattles and tools to my own villages.

I would emphasize town and village building a lot, make it meaningful. Give us yearly/monthly taxes instead of daily, but make them MASSIVE compared to what they are now. Decisions that matter. Ability to invest money in permanent buffs. More recruits. Different recruits. A keep to defend a village. New villages to expand the cities and make them richer. Medieval lords fielded their retinue thanks to taxes and conscripts for their own fiefs, in Bannerlord I just have to become either a smithing God who can forge 20 meters long polearms and buy kingdoms with them or a serial party killer who doesn't sleep like it's the frigging Terminator: "Listen and understand, that clan is out there. It can't be bartered with. It can't be parleyed with. It doesn't feel pity when pressing f1, or remorse after pressing f3, or fear of losing t6 troops. And it will absolutely not stop, ever, until he gets bored with chasing little warbands down and farming them."

I feel you, man.

1. I think this is a balancing thing. It doesn't let you overgrow with too many vassals (i.e. win due to your charisma and friendship). I don't mind it much, but I also feel that more AI tweaking is going to be done here at some point.

2. Agree. Don't know how to fix this, I guess more diplomacy mechanics need to be introduced? Maybe something like keeping their sons/relatives hostage at your court for some time? idk

3. This is what currently really bothers me. I think there should be a lot more of economical, food-producing buildings. I strongly feel like a city should be able to overproduce and export, if it hasn't seen war in a long time. Furthermore, I would really love to have cities with huge garrisons, hard to take, needing a whole enemy campaign to attack.

I never understood the logic behind this prosperity/food system. I mean, for people to prosper, first thing they need is food. How come prosperity of a city starts to rise while they don't enough food?

Back
Top Bottom