2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunno, we have a "mosque" nearby and yeah, the theology and the rhetoric is a little kooky and sometimes a little intense, but generally they seem to be well-behaved, decent people and good neighbors for everyday purposes ?‍♀️ If the price for that is that they think my ancestors were created by an evil Black Cypriot magician 6,000 years ago, then it's a decent deal.

The absolute worst immigrants are the immigrants that hate other immigrants. Actual bottom of the barrel.
(Congrats on the bb, btw. Very happy for you.)
Whoah, punching down much? He is a son of Jamaican immigirants and somebody's gotta do the things the locals think they are too good and proper for :xf-tongue:

Don't take it so seriously. He doesn't really hate immigrants and transplants...probably. But the the city isn't infinitely inflatable. It's already one of the largest cities in the world with 9+ million legal permanent residents, actual physical presence during the day including students, tourists and commuters might go as high as 15 mil. Unlike LA or some other places there isn't anywhere to expand, the already pretty compact and dense city is surrounded by other fairly high density areas like Long Island and the Hudson Valley. At this point, real estate here is a zero sum game and every new person means less room for you.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand housing is an incredibly big problem. Not just in the US, honestly. I've recently heard the take that people need to ****ing chill and be cool with living in smaller cities and towns instead of trying to rush over to the big cities all the time. I think we should make living in smaller places more attractive to live in, personally.

My husband is ever the optimist and thinks that normalizing working from home (or local shared workspaces for those of us whose work ethic ****ing plummets when they're not in the office) will make it possible, but I'm skeptical. Some people are autistic or motivated enough, but I think most people are better off working in a physical workplace, both in regards to efficiency and mental health.

Were it not for work constraints, I would love to **** off to Maine or Montana and just walk a golden retriever and birdwatch or whatever it is you do when you live in the country and are not a farmer.

Until then, now that I am in New York, lock the gates and lose the key :razz:

My husband is ever the optimist and thinks that normalizing working from home (or local shared workspaces for those of us whose work ethic ****ing plummets when they're not in the office) will make it possible, but I'm skeptical.
Interesting, working from home solves so many problems - housing, commuting, workplace violence, as well as not getting infected by people with questionable habits and beliefs.

• hobbies include coming up with novel ways to kill rats
Hahahahahahha I totally forgot about that such a neat reference.
The absolute worst immigrants are the immigrants that hate other immigrants. Actual bottom of the barrel.
(Congrats on the bb, btw. Very happy for you.)
My family has won the lottery for the diversity visa(some kind of working permit) for the US. Even though he hasn't even been issued the visa yet, the day it has become clear that Biden has won, he immediately started complaining "well it will get more difficult for us to find a job when those Mexicans get in because of Biden".

Hm, I'm not sure if you think there's some hidden meaning or reference...I was referring to his actually killing literal rats with some knock-out-and-drown novelty traps and then parading a bucket of dead rats at a press conference.

My family has won the lottery for the diversity visa(some kind of working permit) for the US. Even though he hasn't even been issued the visa yet, the day it has become clear that Biden has won, he immediately started complaining "well it will get more difficult for us to find a job when those Mexicans get in because of Biden".
Hm, I'm not sure if you think there's some hidden meaning or reference...I was referring to his actually killing literal rats with some knock-out-and-drown novelty traps and then parading a bucket of dead rats at a press conference.
:lol:

Working from home can work for some jobs and people... Not so much for others. I personally hate it and can not be as productive from home. However if I lived in San Francisco or NYC I would probably go for it, the amount of money you need to live there to me is just not worth it (I guess it is for some people, but I don't like big cities).

I can't do it either. I procrastinate and anger-post on Turkish vidya forums when i """work"""" from home.

But i guess decentralizing office jobs is the first and easiest step. Imo working literally from home is not ideal both economically and psychologically. But the local shared/collab workspaces for white collar jobs might be the way to go. You get the psychological benefits of "going to work" and you get to hang out with peers, but you get drastically reduced commute and you spend money locally on office rent/lunch/uber/donuts/coffee/drinks after work. It may seem funny at first, but really in aggregate it can mean decent livelihood for several local families living off this kind of spending.

Possible downside is hitting the glass ceiling earlier, because you're not "there" with downtown boys and you don't get to see Paul Allen's new card, but most people are content with middle management jobs anyway

I meant this:

Mice.

Mice are on my mind. The rumors seem to be true. I come from a place where mice are nonexistent in cities and if you live in a city and have mice, it's because you're an unspeakable pig who hasn't taken a shower or the trash out since the German occupation. Mice are a country thing. Apparently, not so much in America.

I saw a couple of mice in the apartment in August. I asked the landlord what do and he said there's really nothing he can do, "that's New York, maam, they're everywhere, you just gotta kill them as they come" . He suggested I get the glue traps, because they are too clever for the old-timey neck-breaking ones. So glue traps I got. What a mistake, would be an understatment. One day, I wake up to a strange squeaky noise, get out of the bedroom and see that two mice are stuck to (two different) traps. First, the poor things have been panicking and trying to get out so they tore an ear off here and a couple of patches of skin there, but still were soundly stuck to the glue pads. Second, now ****ing what. Didn't think that far when I bought them. So I put the tortured, squeaking, panicking mice in a bag, take the bag on the sidewalk in front of the house and smash the bag and its insides with the big communal metal trash can. I like to think and hope they were gnawing on peanut butter in mice heaven after the first hit, but I gave it extra five or ten or so smashes just to be sure. Like the goddess of death, foaming at the mouth and wearing pyjamas, I became the destroyer of the mice for the whole block to see.

The word seemed to have spread in the mice community, because there were no mice sightings in the rest of August and September, then I went to Europe. Came back in January and I'm thinking, well it's January, it's cold af, I'm sure the little critters are hibernating and I'm good until spring. Wait, do mice hibernate? How would I know, I'm a lawyer, not a mousologist. Then a week ago I saw one, a really tiny and skinny one. Ok, buddy, I'll have mercy, as long as it's just you and you stay in the kitchen and only during the night, I'll let you do your thing. Who knows, maybe a lost breadcrumb will lead to another and that one will lead to an "accidentally" forgotten tiny scoop of peanut butter and we'll be friends! Oh, sweet summer me.

Several days later I knew for a fact there are at least four individual mice leaving their stinking dens of mouseness every night and rigorously scouting every square inch of my apartment including the bathroom when I need it at 3 am or the edge of my bed. And one of the gang is either the most pregnant mouse in the history of mice or an aspiring rat impersonator. I knew I couldn't do la tortura glue again. As the nights have grown longer so have I grown weak and weary. So I bought the mechanical traps that contain the mouse but don't kill it. I'm not proud to say that I now have three plastic boxes with three mice in them, that I have bought them sawdust and created hiding spaces for them from toilet paper rolls and old envelopes and as I'm typing this I'm also browsing Amazon for spinning wheels.

What am I becoming.

Worked from home for the first 3 months of the lockdowns. I was entirely over it within a month. Been going into the office since last June despite the rules saying non-"essential" workers must stay home, because I'm entirely unproductive in a space not set aside for working.

I can't do it either. I procrastinate and anger-post on Turkish vidya forums when i """work"""" from home.

But i guess decentralizing office jobs is the first and easiest step. Imo working literally from home is not ideal both economically and psychologically. But the local shared/collab workspaces for white collar jobs might be the way to go. You get the psychological benefits of "going to work" and you get to hang out with peers, but you get drastically reduced commute and you spend money locally on office rent/lunch/uber/donuts/coffee/drinks after work. It may seem funny at first, but really in aggregate it can mean decent livelihood for several local families living off this kind of spending.

Possible downside is hitting the glass ceiling earlier, because you're not "there" with downtown boys and you don't get to see Paul Allen's new card, but most people are content with middle management jobs anyway
It is all as you described it. Not going to physical work has its pros, but in time cons tend to pop up out of nowhere.

I stayed quite efficient for a long time but recently felt a lack of the so-called human aspect.

Back
Top Bottom