2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cops of all colours are all but actively ordered to make racist assumptions every day. Something as seemingly innocuous as "we need to deal with the thugs in this town" is very implicitly racist, and the police deal with this kind of language all the time. It's practically impossible to avoid this as a police officer, even if you're the proud owner of one of these:

0d84626a-fe38-462e-8152-120e16e9fef4-large16x9_pass.png

He is saying that when a system is overwhelmingly and systematically discriminatory against certain people, even those people might lose sight of the problem once they become part of the system itself.

Also the issue is not about local police. If the local police works well, that's fantastic. The issue is about a country wide system for accountability for when the local police fails to act as it should.

I am also a bit curious about why you think that it wouldn't happen in the US. It's not like there's lack of examples of rapists getting away with it in here.

Cops of all colours are all but actively ordered to make racist assumptions every day. Something as seemingly innocuous as "we need to deal with the thugs in this town" is very implicitly racist, and the police deal with this kind of language all the time. It's practically impossible to avoid this as a police officer, even if you're the proud owner of one of these:

I don't own the sheriff, although I did vote for him. Police probably do deal with language all the time, it's part of the human experience. I don't know what your personal history has been like but making assumptions about my experience based on your own experience is patently wrong.

It may be your trove of academia overlapping with real life. In real life men, even cops, can hear and read all kinds of things without it affecting them personally.
It's wierd to say people don't form opinions on the basis of experiences.

Jacob seems to believe that this statement closes the case. That people, including police officers, cannot act contrary to this statement. I believe they do not necessarily need to make racist assumptions based on what they read or hear. to make choices in their every day life.

He's not entirely wrong though. Here is a good article on that particular subject. Jacob might be a bit hyperbolic but it's a real problem and it ties into what I'm saying too.

Race might not be the sole issue (one thing that media portrayals like to avoid) but it is at the very least the instigating issue in many cases, this one included. They might target him initially due to possible underlying racial prejudice, and as I recall the arrest was over a counterfeit bill which did not warrant the level of force they employed. That being said, once they initiate the arrest they get to justify their disproportionate use of force because he's "resisting", and this is where training and endemic department culture comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom