2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cpt. Nemo said:
Úlfheðinn said:
I still maintain the Rock was the best person for the job.

With John Cena as VP, America would truly have been great again.
Incorrect. Hulk Hogan should have been President, with Macho Man Randy Savage as VP. Cena would make a wonderful Secretary of Defense though.
That all would just put Vince McMahon in charge.

Untitled. said:
YLE, despite officially being non-political, is a pretty big propaganda machine for touting different state interests, which should be obvious to pretty much anyone. You honestly sound a little bit like a fanboy in that last post. But I admit I might be biased because I have friends and relatives who (have) work(ed) for YLE and aren't great fans of the organization either.

It's not obvious, though. It just seems obvious to you because you believe your friends and relatives, who may or may not have a good basis to believe that.

Bromden said:
Cpt. Nemo said:
Úlfheðinn said:
I still maintain the Rock was the best person for the job.

With John Cena as VP, America would truly have been great again.
Incorrect. Hulk Hogan should have been President, with Macho Man Randy Savage as VP. Cena would make a wonderful Secretary of Defense though.
That all would just put Vince McMahon in charge.

Das Knecht said:
Untitled. said:
YLE, despite officially being non-political, is a pretty big propaganda machine for touting different state interests, which should be obvious to pretty much anyone. You honestly sound a little bit like a fanboy in that last post. But I admit I might be biased because I have friends and relatives who (have) work(ed) for YLE and aren't great fans of the organization either.

It's not obvious, though. It just seems obvious to you because you believe your friends and relatives, who may or may not have a good basis to believe that.
And maybe also because I have access to the YLE channels and grew up thinking YLE is the best and most objective news source ever, the way they claim to be.

They don't claim to be the best or the most objective news source. :lol:

That being said, I'd like you to find a news source that *is* more objective than YLE is in Finland. It's pretty hard to find one that is clearly superior - even impossible.

Oh, I don't claim private Finnish news channels are good, but at least I don't have to involuntarily pay their wages. But I'm pretty sure Helsingin Sanomat et al do a better job of painting an objective picture of the world.

Tibertus said:
Lincoln wasn't horrible. I'd vote for Zombie Washington though.

Both of those were pretty ****, Theodore Roosevelt any day. Wonder which candidate he would have backed.  :shifty: Lincoln's liable to imprison you for four years until his business is done, and Washington'll make up any reason to chase glory blindly that inept tactical failure.

Have you ever read about George Washington? His early life was dominated by the fact his father had died early when he was around 11 years old, which may have contributed to this is some way. From his letters it was obvious he wanted to do what his older brother had done by enlisting in the Royal Navy and fighting the Spanish, adventure as it were. Once his older brother had died Washington's friends and colleagues commented, for the rest of his life, of his thoughts that he would die young like his brother. He chased death and glory all throughout his military career. The Fort Necessity debacle and the Battle of Long Island are only the first of many instances you can point out of the very real flaws of the Washington myth. He did leave a good mythologized "precedent".

The Generals and Officers of his staff commented many times on his inability, and complained to Congress directly. By the time they listened however it would have been impossible to replace him without having fatally damaged the morale of the cause.

From everything I've heard about Washington, he was a pretty huge ****.

He almost single-handedly started the French and Indian War by being an overeager guns-a-blazing "Shoot first and ask questions later" dip****.

I always think it's funny how the war that he fired the first shot in and got going wound up increasing the taxes in the colonies so that it could be paid off, which led to him leading a rebellion.

Back
Top Bottom