2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Gestricius said:
How about the US abolishes its two party state and establish a proper democracy that actually represents the voters political views?
It would be a great idea, but that would require the Right and Left (Or just the congress and house)  would need to work together. So really it's a (near) impossible idea kinda like a communist utopia. With that i mean it's a great idea in theory, but could (unfortunately?) never be achieved.

P.S.:The world would also miss out on those hilarious/outrageous/weird/idiotic US politics which can be so very amusing to the rest of the world

Vaegir Luchnik said:
P.S.:The world would also miss out on those hilarious/outrageous/weird/idiotic US politics which can be so very amusing to the rest of the world

It's not amusing, it's terrifying. The US is the biggest economy, spend 1/3 of world military spending, and their politicians are total asshats.

Mixedpotatoes said:
Vaegir Luchnik said:

It's not amusing, it's terrifying. The US is the biggest economy, spend 1/3 of world military spending, and their politicians are total asshats.

Not asshats, just bought and sold like athletes to the highest bidder.

I didn't disagree with you that it would be GOOD to not have parties, just that blocking them would be a good idea, seeing as how they are directly tied to fundamental rights.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Mage246 said:
So much for Freedom of Association.

George Washington had it right in his Farewell Address.

"I'm a true American, which is why I vote for parties that ignore 99% of what Washington or the other founding fathers said! However, I also make strong claims about the importance of the founding fathers and invoke their names whenever possible."

Mixedpotatoes said:
Vaegir Luchnik said:

Some of it is indeed scary, because of the power that is given to the fools. But from time to time the ridiculous remarks from stuff like speeches or public appearances (i.e. Bush's shenanigans and republican's saying that banging the president is fun) can be at least a little funny, you must admit. But i do agree with you, the idea of superpower run by people akin to Donald Trump is grim idea.

Mixedpotatoes said:
Please vote for Bernie. It's your only chance to get some distance from the billionaire oligarchy and get something that resembles a democracy
I'd rather not have the economy in worse shape than it already is, so Bernie's out (not that he'd get all of his economic agenda past Congress, even if he did get elected). $15/hour federal minimum wage alone would be a disaster.

Slev said:
Not asshats, just bought and sold like athletes to the highest bidder.
The government/crony relationship is way more symbiotic than most lefties think it is. If people would stop insisting that the government have so much power over the economy, there wouldn't be the same incentive to cozy up to politicians; regulatory capture is very real.

Well yes, politicians need donors so they cozy up to investors, once cozy-ed investors ask for favors, politicians complete the favor ask for more funding, and the cycle continue. The Citizens United act is just another step towards a corporatocracy...

Wheem said:
I'd rather not have the economy in worse shape than it already is, so Bernie's out (not that he'd get all of his economic agenda past Congress, even if he did get elected). $15/hour federal minimum wage alone would be a disaster.
It's not as if McDonalds and Walmart are so unprofitable they can't pay their workers.

Slev said:
Well yes, politicians need donors so they cozy up to investors, once cozy-ed investors ask for favors, politicians complete the favor ask for more funding, and the cycle continue.
If politicians couldn't offer so many favors; like putting up barriers to entry, enacting useless regulations that hurt smaller businesses much more than larger ones, engaging in various forms of protectionism (omg JOBS!!!!), etc...then you'd see a lot less corporate and union money in politics.

Slev said:
The Citizens United act is just another step towards a corporatocracy...
Oh god not this nonsense again.

Do you really think that it was consistent with the First Amendment to squash a movie made by a non-profit corporation, simply because it was critical of Hillary Clinton and released "too close" to election time? As I understand it, it would have been perfectly legal at that time for a single individual to make the same movie, as long as they were rich enough to fund it alone. Why should things be so different when it's a group of not-rich people - do you hate the poor or something?

And buying adds, making films, etc...is hardly the same thing as buying an election; the people in the organization don't get extra votes every time some 30 second spot airs on TV.

Dirk Robbing said:
Wheem said:
It's not as if McDonalds and Walmart are so unprofitable they can't pay their workers.
Uh, $15/hour would be quite a significant increase in labor costs. Those costs would ultimately be borne by customers (though everyone knows it's only rich people that shop at WalMart and McDonalds, so no big deal amirite?) and shareholders (despite what you may have heard, they're hardly all Mr./Ms. Moneybags, either). It also adds a huge incentive to replace workers with technology; if you want to speed up the transition to all self-service checkout, then by all means keep arguing for a more-than-doubling of the federal minimum wage.

Besides, it's not only giant megacorps that employ people at minimum wage, and some of the smaller businesses may already be struggling as it is. Causing them such a huge hike in expenses probably isn't going to help matters any, especially in parts of the country with lower wages and costs of living. But if raising the minimum wage is such a great thing - why be a cheapskate? Why is $15/hour the magic number that gets bandied about now? Why not $20? Or $20,000 for that matter? Then we could all be driving Porsches and living in big houses on the beach, it'd be totally awesome. Though maybe the government should provide us with unicorns and magic carpets to get around on, as all those Porsches might be bad for the environment.

Docm30 said:
What about the countries with high minimum wages that have stronger economies than the US?
You'll need to provide some data. I don't expect you to show that they have "stronger" economies because of their higher minimum wage, of course, but you'll at least need to point out just what countries you're talking about.

It's not the direct ruling of Citizen's United that mattered, it's that it set precedent for additional rulings. Essentially yes it's backed up by the first amendment. However, saying the first amendment backs up the ability to collect unlimited donor funds to make materials expressly to attack one person, who just happens to be running for election against someone you happen to support (but isn't affiliated with you [on paper]) is ok. That's bull****.

All it did was make PACs more powerful than at any other time in our history. Was the concept of the ruling sound, yes. They should have added opinions limiting the ability for PACs to spend on campaign associated spending. There's a fantastic Colbert bit on the concept of PACs and how broken a concept they are.

Wheem said:
And buying adds, making films, etc...is hardly the same thing as buying an election; the people in the organization don't get extra votes every time some 30 second spot airs on TV.

That's probably the most simplistic and dishonest summary of the effects of media I have read in quite some time, well done I guess?

Wheem said:
Uh, $15/hour would be quite a significant increase in labor costs. Those costs would ultimately be borne by customers (though everyone knows it's only rich people that shop at WalMart and McDonalds, so no big deal amirite?) and shareholders (despite what you may have heard, they're hardly all Mr./Ms. Moneybags, either).
Here's the thing Mr. Fiscal Conservative. The cost is currently being taken up by someone. Guess who it is- the government. That's right, most of the people working minimum wage jobs also need welfare/food stamps to feed their families. So, perhaps, a good way to cut costs in War on Poverty programs would be to raise the minimum wage, hmm?
Costs borne by customers- The free market should correct that, if all the regulations were enforced, which of course they aren't, but that's another issue.
Costs borne by shareholders- What the ****? Don't do this because the stocks of a few companies might decrease? There is NO PRECEDENT that an increase in the minimum wage will cause a stock market crash.

It also adds a huge incentive to replace workers with technology; if you want to speed up the transition to all self-service checkout, then by all means keep arguing for a more-than-doubling of the federal minimum wage.
That's really ok. If people don't have to do the most ****ty jobs anymore that would be great, and it would also create higher paying engineering jobs for the people designing and maintaining the robots.

Besides, it's not only giant megacorps that employ people at minimum wage, and some of the smaller businesses may already be struggling as it is. Causing them such a huge hike in expenses probably isn't going to help matters any, especially in parts of the country with lower wages and costs of living.
I sympathize with struggling small businesses, I really do. Wouldn't it be nice if they would have a huge increase in sales once people can afford ****?

But if raising the minimum wage is such a great thing - why be a cheapskate? Why is $15/hour the magic number that gets bandied about now? Why not $20? Or $20,000 for that matter? Then we could all be driving Porsches and living in big houses on the beach, it'd be totally awesome. Though maybe the government should provide us with unicorns and magic carpets to get around on, as all those Porsches might be bad for the environment.
I would be fine with 20 and not fine with 20000. But 20 isn't what is being discussed. 15 is being discussed. So don't bring other numbers into it, it's simply diverting the topic to those numbers rather than the 15$ being discussed. The minimum wage should be raised to 20000 when inflation reaches that high, of course, but as of now absolutely no one suggests that.

Edit:
For ****s sake your post is so full of stupidity.
Wheem said:
If politicians couldn't offer so many favors; like putting up barriers to entry, enacting useless regulations that hurt smaller businesses much more than larger ones, engaging in various forms of protectionism (omg JOBS!!!!), etc...then you'd see a lot less corporate and union money in politics.
Entry barriers are bad yes, useless regulations are bad yes but when Politicians say they want to cut useless regulation they destroy the good regulations that actually regulate banks, big oil, etc. because they are corrupt bastards; but yes, onerous regulation is bad, just look at Greece. But... "Engaging in various forms of protectionism". For ****s sake. This actually goes hand in hand with the minimum wage thing. If we want high wages, and we want to remain a manufacturing center of the world, we need trade protectionism.

That's really ok. If people don't have to do the most ****ty jobs anymore that would be great, and it would also create higher paying engineering jobs for the people designing and maintaining the robots.

I know nothing about minimum wage besides that it's for minorities and lesser people, like my family, but I feel like this isn't a very solid line of thought.

ADDIT: Lesser people, I'm not a minority. Docm helped me discover that I was a bee or something.

Back
Top Bottom