2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

As a huge Anglosphere culture consumer, I can testify to the Black Legend about the Spanish there
As a huge hispanosphere culture consumer ... this idea of it being an anglo thing is bizarre to me. Spain's empire is not well-remembered in Latin America either, except by a fringe group of insane reactionary tradcath Mexican monarchists and people like that. The only people who seem to consider Spain's actions as justified or alternatively humane and enlightened are sensitive Castilians. I don't know if Terco is Castilian, but like, hardly any one of the various other nations in Spain view the empire so positively, let alone so vocally and personally.

I guess it's true the average joe in US, UK, or probably Australia doesn't view Spanish history with much interest or charity but that's true of like 80%+ of the world's countries going both ways and isn't the same as saying academia has no interest. Certainly, despite everything, Terco, I have an intellectual interest in Spain, it is a country with profound influence on world culture, art, literature, and political thought, far out of league for its size, just not always for good reasons. I'd love to visit someday, storm the library in Sevilla to steal forgotten colonial records and make fun of the funny accents. If you want to be proud of Spain, there's a ****load to be proud of! You don't have to defend empire and deny genocide, we both know your country is more than that.

[...]

As a huge Anglosphere culture consumer, I can testify to the Black Legend about the Spanish there. They are historically stereotyped as bloodthirsty fanatics or overbearing military bullies. So I simpathize with Terco on that point.
There's a similar black legend about the Byzantines that allegedly started with Gibbon dismissing their rulers as villainous and unworthy of study, unlike the Romans which became a role model for the British. Therefore the distinct lack of British academic interest in the Byzantines despite their historical importance.
I see that you are a man of culture (I confirm my suspicions); I am glad that you bring these two references.

And the fact is that even in this whole spectrum there are manifestations of the black legend. In electronic entertainment products such as Pirates! as you rightly say, from casual filmography such as Pirates of the Caribbean or Assassin's Creed to historical film products such as The Name of the Rose, 1492: The Conquest of Paradise or Elizabeth: The Golden Age, among others. ...; always and I mean always, the "Spanish" radiography is the same... obscurantism, intolerance, fanaticism, beasts with an unquenchable thirst for blood... The bad guys in the film.

This has permeated 21st century society (even in sectors of the Spanish left-wing culture.... oh how much evil the Bourbons did to us), the Anglo-Dutch propaganda of the 16th century is still present nowadays and it is not an opinion (that too), it is historiography facts that can be analysed by anyone; by anyone who has a clear vision of how to approach history.

That is why I have done here, analysing history through facts that are on the table; I have not judged, and much less scorned any modern societies from which the old ones have evolved. I love Latin America, I even have family in Argentina. But reading such biased bull**** gives me an unbearable itch in my balls that I can't remedy; I'm sorry. That wire is sparking in me.

But hey, we're offtopic. I love being the bad guy, I'll occasionally run naked through this elephant graveyard. ? :iamamoron:

---
C'mon Pixel, as Mr. Censor says, don't be obtuse. The only thing I am questioning is the way you use the word. I have said actively and passively that the Spanish empire caused suffering through violent acts on the native peoples in the early stages of the conquest (what did the Mexicas do to the other cultures... guided visits to the tzompantli? please...). But I am of the opinion, with the historiographical data in hand, that the determining factor that decimated the native population was mainly epidemiological.

Believe me when I tell you that the same love and admiration you have for Spanish culture, the same as I have for Latin American culture. Both belong to us; let's enjoy them.

Yes, I'm Balear Spanish.

Last edited:
:lol:

I will try one more time. What film do you want to watch together over a few cokes ( seeing as you don't like beer) that you think is good within the orbit of the topic at hand, where Spaniards are portrayed without the stigma of the black legend?

My dude, Spain is mostly just suspiciously absent from most cultural media. Americans barely know what a Spain is, you guys eat tacos and wear huge sombreros right?

I will try one more time. What film do you want to watch together over a few cokes ( seeing as you don't like beer) that you think is good within the orbit of the topic at hand, where Spaniards are portrayed without the stigma of the black legend?
In the United States the tropes are that bad guys are mainly British, sometimes German, Italian if it's about organized crime, and Russian if it involves espionage. It's no great leap of imagination to understand why. Finding such a film shouldn't be too difficult.

In the United States the tropes are that bad guys are mainly British, sometimes German, Italian if it's about organized crime, and Russian if it involves espionage. It's no great leap of imagination to understand why. Finding such a film shouldn't be too difficult.
Of course, I was mainly referring to films within the "period (1500-1900) " under the debate on this issue.

roosevelt.png
kCqIM.png

In the US, they use their highest previous elected or military title, because they are pompous twats who secretly want a monarchy. Obama and Bush Jr are still called President, and Biden was called Vice President during his campaign. Same for Senator, but I'm not sure if former Congressmen are still called that.
Normal countries use "former president" and such normal phrases, so that's why it's confusing for us normal people.
The British have the same thing, just for the retired military - if you retired as a captain, everyone will call you Captain forever and you need to punch them in the mouth to stop this.

It's amusing how the concept of democracy, i.e. will of the majority, and civil rights have been sold for decades as an inseparable and indivisible package, to the point they have been use as synonyms, even though they are mutually exclusive and have to be held together by pure willpower. The will of the majority is at least as big a threat to an individual as a dictator or military junta.

Me, I would live in a dictablanda rather than a democraura any day. Voting is overrated, being left alone is king.

Back
Top Bottom