2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

I happened to stumble upon this this morning:

As much as I dislike Fox news, I can't help but agree in principle that one should not mock another's misfortune. But then I also can't help remembering that this is what the man is peddling:

A1vJUKBjc2L._AC_CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71Qk%2BkURxVL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_UL1500_.png

Plenty of lovely people sporting this kind of apparel, or showing bumper sticks of this nature on their cars here in Texas. So perhaps one could say that he reaps what he sowed, and leave it at that.

By any meaningful definition trump is a fascist. So are most of the republican populists. Just because they don't have concentration camps (oh wait they do lol) or send police to kill protestors (oh wait) or talk about Blood and Soil (oh crap) or use dogwhistles as a call for violence (oh) or reject intellectualism (fugg) or rant about the greatness of the nation in the past (shidd) or rant about plots to destroy the nation from within (dang it) or have a cult of The Soldier (bloody hell this is hard) or appeal to terrified bourgeois people (i give up), doesn't mean they aren't Fascists.
Only sad part in this mess is we don't get to see Donnie hanging upside-down off a gas station.
:lol:

Considering Trump's age and severe obesity (BMI just over 30), he's in the high risk group.
Approximately day 9-13 of the infection are the most critical ones, so it will be interesting to follow his condition the coming week.
I hope the public is updated on his treatment, at least so his followers know that hydrochloroquine is not part of the treatment.
Should he die it would be a spectacular end to one of the oddest presidencies ever. Not even emperor Nero can top the lunacy of these past 4 years.

Mr Trump's physician Sean Conley said in a statement earlier on Friday that the president had "as a precautionary measure received an 8g dose of Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail" at the White House.

The medication is administered to help reduce virus levels and speed recovery.

He was also taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and aspirin, Dr Conley said.
I'm not familiar with the "antibody cocktail". Sounds experimental. Definitely not standard treatment.

Zinc and Vitamin D might not do anything unless Trump is lacking these (which he very well could be, though (obesity)).

Famotidine has shown some effect, but the studies are small with difficulty ruling out placebo effects.
I suspect it will only help heartburns from Trump's high fat diet...

I think melatonin is only experimental at this point, but we know it can have beneficial properties on other viral infections.
Aspirin is anti-inflammatory and very likely helpful.

Last edited:
Emperor Nero? Really? Don't buy into the hype. Unless America disintegrates in the next decade he'll probably only be relevant in the history books for being the first president to visit North Korea.

Ah, I see peace hasn't intensified in your country and city yet.
vh1YC.jpg
Think of a name for an article title that 1. does not give the reader the impression that the protests are generally violent, but still 2. honestly reports on the violent occurrences that DO happen.

Not much else to do anyway. I'll probably get a cabin or something in the woods upstate for the election day, because I have zero faith in my fellow "mostly peaceful" New Yorkers if Trump refuses to concede, or heaven forbid, wins.
If it's ''mostly peaceful'' New Yorkers, then it's ''mostly good cops''.

The Democratic powers that be in Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, New York and possibly elsewhere actively pandered to BLM
Please articulate how to condemn BLM.

The militias are responsible for no property damage that I know if and between 0 and 1 murder, depending on how the investigation turns out.
Probably because the defending militias have things to lose. People that defend their property are cool but you should know who the proud boys are (tweet is a thread).

Biden and everyone else can take their vague condemnations of abstract violence and shove it.
Biden explicitly and with an emphasis condemned violence in the very debate you watched.

Think of a name for an article title that 1. does not give the reader the impression that the protests are generally violent, but still 2. honestly reports on the violent occurrences that DO happen.

It's perfectly straightforward, which is what makes the title so laughable. For example; "Peaceful protest turns violent", "Protest march descends into violence", "Police attacked by minority of protesters after peaceful march", "Large turnout for protest in so-and-so, very small number of violent troublemakers arrested". Whatever the intentions of the headline, it sounds daft and makes the press publishing it sound partisan.

It's perfectly straightforward, which is what makes the title so laughable. For example; "Peaceful protest turns violent", "Protest march descends into violence", "Police attacked by minority of protesters after peaceful march", "Large turnout for protest in so-and-so, very small number of violent troublemakers arrested". Whatever the intentions of the headline, it sounds daft and makes the press publishing it sound partisan.

I don't see really see it myself.

I quote from this older fox news article:

The protests started as a “noise demonstration and dance party" and seemed to intensify as the night continued. Videos emerged on social media that appeared to show city police clashing with protesters throughout city streets.

ABC wasn't the first to use the term to describe something like this. Perhaps an improper way to describe the article, but hardly worthy of so much noise.

Why aren't you including the fact that they've BURNED DOWN A COURTHOUSE AND POLICE STATION in the tile, you partisan hack.

If you went with something along the line of ''Peaceful protestors turn violent, burn down courthouse, police station and assault policemen'' then the alleged laughability or partisanship is not any less. You just can't win here.

...How is that different from ''Protestors burn courthouse etc after peaceful demonstrations intensify''?

Good Lord, I don't have the mental capacity or willpower do to a quote battle, so I'll just blurt it out.

1) I blame BLM for the violence not because I think every single store looted, car and building burned and person assaulted or murdered was so victimized by BLM card-carrying members acting on direct instructions from the Supreme Committee of all BLM-hood, but because BLM started the lawless atmosphere, they downplayed or outright defended the violence, they attacked people who pointed out the violence and in any and all kinds of manner provided rhetorical, political and moral cover for looters, arsonists and murderers. It was them who demanded decreased police presence which (when agreed, expressly or tacitly by local authorities) resulted in multiplying rates of "ordinary" crime. They are morally and politically responsible for that destruction.

When that murderer ran over the unfortunate woman in Charlotesville, nobody (other than far/alt right people) had a problem blaming (politically and morally) Richard Spencer or whoever else was in charge of that demonstration and the general far/alt right. And rightfully so. It follows the same logic to blame BLM and Antifa. Any arguments that Antifa "is an idea, not an organziation" or anything to that effect are meaningless, just like claiming that alt right is an idea, not an organization would be meaningless when defending the death of the Charlotesville woman.

2) Biden doesn't have any position of hard power at this very moment, but for crying out loud, the former vicepresident to the most popular Democratic president since at least JFK, or even FDR, and the current Democratic presidential candidate should have some authority and personal prestige and his word should carry decent weight among party members. He presents himself as a) the master of negotiations and political deals, "the guy who was there and was instrumental to every important decision since kurczak was born" and b) the Louis XIV of the Democratic party, literally saying "I am the Democratic party". Oh ok, then ****ing pick up a phone and call Cuomo, call DeBlasio, call Inslee, call Brown, Waltz, Durkan, Wheeler, Frey and tell them to do something.

3) I appreciate the irony of someone from London or continental Europe or anything along those lines telling me I am unfamiliar with and too far away from what happens in (sort of) my country, my (for real) city, my neighborhood and on my block.

4) I fail to see how far right internet cells that apparently are well monitored and neutralized by the appropriate agencies are more of a threat to the American society than the actual mass political violence perpetrated or enabled and defended by BLM and Antifa.

5) 5 murders for BLM/Antifa v 0 to 1 for the militias was already generous towards BLM/Antifa.

edit:

6) "mostly peaceful" and "peace intesifies' - this goes back to ad 1) Would you honestly describe and report the Charlotesville rally as "mostly peaceful" and the murder as "a woman dies as a peaceful alt right rally intesifies"? It actually was mostly peaceful. But this quantitative analysis is pointless. I am not a fan of his overall, but Ben Shapiro made a fitting joke about O.J. murdering his wife: "O.J. Simpson was mostly peaceful that night — for like an hour and 15, he was really not peaceful — but for the other hours between sunset and sunrise, he was unbelievably peaceful." You could even escalate it ad hitlerum and say that throughout most of his political career, Hitler was a peaceful politician.

Last edited:
@kurczak, I can see where you are coming from on the looting, but you have completely ignored the data that I shared which shows that what you are saying about neo nazis, antifa and BLM is simply not true. I guess it got lost in between the other comments.

Setting that aside, your Ben Shapiro (really? we are quoting Ben Shapiro now, alright) argument does not make sense. What happened in Oakland was caused by a handful of people out of the 700 who were there protesting. For all we know these people are infiltrators. Even if they are not, the majority of those people started peaceful and stayed peaceful. I don't understand the logic according to which Black Lives Matters is responsible for the violence of a handful of people at their protests. If I organize an event and some random person shows up to it and shoots someone, am I responsible for their violence?

Meanwhile, the rally in Charlottesville was organized by neo nazis. That event was not about human rights and improving the country. It was about racial hate and showing force. I quote the wikipedia entry on that event:

The marchers chanted racist and antisemitic slogans and carried weapons, Nazi and neo-Nazi symbols, the Valknut, Confederate battle flags, Deus Vult crosses, flags, and other symbols of various past and present anti-Muslim and antisemitic groups.

Even if no one had gotten hurt, does this sound like a peaceful event to you?

TLDR: comparing alt right and BLM does not make any sense. Neo nazis militias (let's call them with their names) are looking for violence for violence's sake. BLM wants a better life for black people, and is trying to achieve that with non violent methods, just like MLK did.

Yah, I understand. The problem for Dems is that BLM has righteous goals that the Dems agree with, which have to be separated from the violence. I think (maybe not, dunno) you would agree that violence against the government CAN be justified if 1. the protested problem is severe enough 2. all legal or peaceful means have been exhausted (you can argue against this, as people, especially young ones, don't vote enough). But violence means the rest of the country turns against you, so you just ****ed your own movement + the destruction, especially without any beneficial result, is morally reprehensible like you said. I'll agree with you with your phrasing on responsibility given that Trump is retarded and doesn't understand what he's capable of. Someone has to be responsible here.

But if I'm frank, the real 5D chess move to literally end all protests = acknowledge them. Acknowledge that problems exist with the police, justice system, labour market, public life etc. Make the protesters feel like they're being heard and that something is being done about the problem. Even just virtue signalling which sounds genuine enough takes away the wind from their sails, hence everyone insisting him to genuinely condemn supremacist groups. Trump is a ****ing moron who doesn't even realize how much power he has. He was really itching to play with armed forces like they're toy soldiers when the less sexy, more effective move here is just to be a goddamned civil servant.

TLDR: comparing alt right and BLM does not make any sense. Neo nazis militias (let's call them with their names) are looking for violence for violence's sake. BLM wants a better life for black people, and is trying to achieve that with non violent methods, just like MLK did
Usually, it's best to rate systems, movements, etc. by the outcomes they produce. BLM is good, but given the size of the movement and the inherent risks in protesting, it means greater responsibility to prevent said risks like violence.

6) "mostly peaceful" and "peace intesifies' - this goes back to ad 1) Would you honestly describe and report the Charlotesville rally as "mostly peaceful" and the murder as "a woman dies as a peaceful alt right rally intesifies"? It actually was mostly peaceful. But this quantitative analysis is pointless. I am not a fan of his overall, but Ben Shapiro made a fitting joke about O.J. murdering his wife: "O.J. Simpson was mostly peaceful that night — for like an hour and 15, he was really not peaceful — but for the other hours between sunset and sunrise, he was unbelievably peaceful." You could even escalate it ad hitlerum and say that throughout most of his political career, Hitler was a peaceful politician.
Well, you brought up the pointlessness with the ''mostly peaceful'' remark, so I dunno. I was just pointing out was that you're validating the 'all cops are bad' folk. Do with that what you will.

Oh yeah, we can unpack the problem with 'hitler was a mostly peaceful politician', if you want. Key phrases for you: Relative to what? What are our perimeters? Example: given the time frame of Charlottesville, it was a mostly peaceful protest. Given the amount of far-right protests, far-right protests are violent. Given the size of far-right protest relative to other protests, they're violent. Given the time frame + amount + size of BLM protests = they're mostly peaceful. Ta-da.

If you can't do quantitative tests, then you can't do anything, as far as I understand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom